Dolby Atmos

Posted by: EBT on 22 January 2018

Evening all, does anyone have or used the Kef R50 Atmos speakers? I have them setup at the moment but not been blown away after watching Mad Max. I just wondered in the setup in the AV receiver does the speaker height of the speakers be taken from where the speaker sits to the Celling (might be a dumb question) 

Thanks

scott 

Posted on: 22 January 2018 by tonym

I use four of the Kef Ci160QR ceiling speakers in my 7.1.4 Atmos setup, and very good they are too! Measurements are usually from the centre of the speaker to where your ears are going to be, i.e. the centre of your head, rather than just the height itself.

Posted on: 22 January 2018 by EBT

Thanks for your reply, but on the receiver there is a height measurement option for ceiling speakers does this not apply? I would have thought it would be from the ceiling to where the atmos speaker is sitting. 

Posted on: 23 January 2018 by tonym

The height speakers are there to give an illusion of height for the sound, which is encoded within the Atmos sound option. What processor are you using? Most want to set up delays from each speaker so they hit your ears at the right time, so the actual distance is relevant. Or maybe, as is the case with most Atmos processors these days, it's got a built-in room equalisation system such as Dirac or Audyssey. With these you don't need to specify distances but use a microphone to record pulses emitted from the processor which are then analysed. 

Posted on: 23 January 2018 by EBT

I’m using the Sony STR DN1080, which does use a mic. I seem to be getting more sound from rears. I’m going to have a play around with it later to see if i can improve it.

It's certainly worth running the setup program again. I ended up running mine three times before I was happy with the result. It really pays to be as accurate as possible with mic positioning ec.

Well had a muck around done a new set up and still sounding like it’s just a 5.1. Maybe I am expecting too much from this Atmos sound. If there is anyone based in Essex that could help me out would be much appreciated. 

How many speakers in your setup?

2 front 2 rear, centre and atmos. So 7. 

What I need is a defying atoms scene to see if the set up is correct.