Post only the best backing vocals

Posted by: SNAIC in the Grass on 24 January 2018

Creating this thread to highlight songs with awesome, incredible backing vocals.  Many times the backing vocals are what make the entire song...post only the best of the best you've heard.  Quality not quantity. 

I'll start off with one of my favorites, in honor of the Queen of Soul:

Not much to say here, listen to the backing vocals.

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by SNAIC in the Grass

To honor Neil Diamond who always brings good backup singers: 

Posted on: 24 January 2018 by SNAIC in the Grass

Here's the perfect example of a song that may not quite work at all without backing vocals...its just a bit confused.  However at the end, the very end, it delivers! 

The best ending phrase for backup vocals I've ever heard...OMG.  I listen to the entire song just to hear the setup for the "oooooh" at the end.  Beautiful and punches me right in the soul.  So smooth...

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by nickpeacock

Picking up on [@mention:55771800695257595] 's post, try comparing Neil Diamond's "Delirious Love" with and without Brian Wilson's backing vocals - both versions are on the album 12 Songs - no contest for me as to which one is better...

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by Bf56

Anything by Brian Wilson / Beach Boys. ...fabulous harmonies. 

Wishing you were here by Chicago with Beach Boys Dennis Wilson  Carl Wilson and Al Jardine . Breathtaking 

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by GraemeH

Leonard Cohen has some great complementary female voices on the later albums.

G

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by naim_nymph

The B-52's  

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by SNAIC in the Grass
naim_nymph posted:

The B-52's  

Idea here is to post actual songs, not an entire band.  Which are the few best ones of theirs?

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by fatcat

Todd Rundgren’s use of backing vocals are exceptional IMO, but I suspect they are a bit like marmite, you love them or hate them.

When I played this track by the Tubes, my wife said, turn that rubbish off, you know I don’t like Todd Rundgren. (He’s was only singing backing vocals, although he did produce it).

Also.

and

He produced and sang backing vocals on Bat Out Of Hell.

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by Chunky

Some lovely backing vocals on the track "Acid Tongue" from the Jenny Lewis album "Acid Tongue".

This one is rare as owl shit, and nobody done never had a blues name like Jimmy McCracklin...but this is one of the best I've ever heard, maybe even the best.  I *highly* recommend purchasing this CD "XM Radio / Starbucks Bluesville", I bought it at a ****ing Starbucks on a whim because I was driving across the USA and had played out all my music.

ONE SONG blew me away and I can't find it on Spotify (only another version that isn't as good imo)...now by digging I found it on youtube but you have to listen to version #2...it is A MA ZING!

https://www.amazon.com/Bluesvi...t-King/dp/B000SPHKTQ

Now listen to 2nd version that starts at around 4:49: 

Get the CD!

Youtube version is shit quality, sorry but the CD is great...I"d get it on vinyl if I could...looking for the actual version of the song and when it was recorded, etc.

SITG

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by naim_nymph
SNAIC in the Grass posted:
naim_nymph posted:

The B-52's  

Idea here is to post actual songs, not an entire band.  Which are the few best ones of theirs?

Most B-52s tracks have superb backing vocals,  best is subjective.

Posted on: 26 January 2018 by joerand

Three songs come instantly to mind for me;

1) Sympathy For The Devil (Stones). Female backup vocals credited to both Marianne Faithful and Anita Pallenberg. I could be wrong but I hear a single, primary female vocalist throughout most of the song. Recent accounts credit that outstanding performance to Pallenberg.

2) The Great Gig In The Sky (Pink Floyd, DSOTM). Clare Torry's powerful vocals absolutely drive this song. The track is short on spoken lyrics to begin with and Torry's vocals add no words. A backup vocalist for the album, but a primary vocalist here.

3) Paradise By The Dashboard Light. (Meatloaf). Okay, maybe more of a duet. Still, it would be unfair not to credit Ellen Foley for one of the more impassioned vocal performances when not the premier artist. I think she actually out-sings Meatloaf on the song (not an easy feat). Album credits call Foley the "featured female vocal" on that particular track. Given [@mention:1566878603970055] 's mention of Todd Rundgren above, I'd be remiss not to say that he is also included in backing vocals on the song as well as the producer of the album.

This thread already takes long enough to load, so for courtesy I've forgone imbedding links assuming anyone interested in hearing the tracks is capable of Googling them.

And the colored girls say,
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by SNAIC in the Grass
naim_nymph posted:
SNAIC in the Grass posted:
naim_nymph posted:

The B-52's  

Most B-52s tracks have superb backing vocals,  best is subjective.

Exactly, but this is *your* favorite(s).

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by sjbabbey

Featuring the Fabulous Wealthy Tarts on backing vocals.

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by sjbabbey

And of course Merry Clayton on this classic

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by Bf56

More Rolling Stones 

You can't always get what you want. .with the London Bach Choir.......brilliant 

Great version on the recent live in Hyde Park 

Bob F

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by joe9407

no doubt Gimme Shelter is fab -- but i'll also lay down a marker on my Stones fave: Let it Loose.

(also also, i'm completely OK with nominating the entire B-52s canon.)

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by SNAIC in the Grass

Ray Stevens - The Mississippi Squirrel Revival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by winkyincanada

Hard to beat this.....

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by seakayaker

Ernestine Anderson - Jazz Street on the 'Now and Then' album

Posted on: 27 January 2018 by Corry

Bob Dylan – Infidels

Too many to mention, but the first one that occurs to me is "Union Sundown" by Bob Dylan, with the incomparable Clydie King on BVs

Democracy don't rule the world
You better get that in your head
This world is ruled by violence
But I guess that's better left unsaid

Posted on: 30 January 2018 by Salmon Dave
Bf56 posted:

Anything by Brian Wilson / Beach Boys. ...fabulous harmonies. 

Wishing you were here by Chicago with Beach Boys Dennis Wilson  Carl Wilson and Al Jardine . Breathtaking 

With Mike depping live.... and the late lamented Terry Kath on the verses. 

Posted on: 31 January 2018 by sjbabbey

A special mention for Emmylou Harris for her backng vocals for Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan (Desire) and Ryan Adams (My Sweet Carolina).

Posted on: 02 February 2018 by Timjoebill

Michael McDonald's backing vocals for Steely Dan - in particular, Peg, from the Aja album.