272, ATC SCM50ASLT - which way to go for the best result in Home Cinema setup?

Posted by: Tesilk on 14 February 2018

Hi everyone,

so I am thinking about the possibilities to update my system in order to have at least 5.1 setup in the room in the future.

Options are  - going active, means adding active ATC SCM20ASL speakers for rear surround, keeping 50s for the front, adding active ATC center speaker and subwoofer maybe. But it means I have to add an AV processor to 272, or even replace 272 by it. 

If not, I can try to choose the passive option, and add a receiver for center and surround, keeping 272 for the front. 

So I wonder if somebody had a possibility to test these options before.

What is the best one? 

Thanks

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by james n

I take it that you want to maintain best quality for normal 2 channel playback. If so then just keep the 272 and front setup as is and as you suggest, add an AV processor / amp. Feed the front channels from the processor through the 272 set at Unity Gain and use the processor's in built amps to drive the remaining channels. I'm sure a full active setup for the remaining channels would be fantastic but that decision is down to your budget....

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by Tesilk
james n posted:

I take it that you want to maintain best quality for normal 2 channel playback. If so then just keep the 272 and front setup as is and as you suggest, add an AV processor / amp. Feed the front channels from the processor through the 272 set at Unity Gain and use the processor's in built amps to drive the remaining channels. I'm sure a full active setup for the remaining channels would be fantastic but that decision is down to your budget....

Thanks James understood, I have already SCM20ASLs also, so i think active will be the best one. 

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by Tesilk

Any suggestions for AV processor? What about AV2 or it is too old? 

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by kaydee6

Go for the Marantz 8805

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by james n
Tesilk posted:
james n posted:

Thanks James understood, I have already SCM20ASLs also, so i think active will be the best one. 

Wow ! - that'll be some system

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by Eloise
Tesilk posted:

Any suggestions for AV processor? What about AV2 or it is too old? 

I'm hesitant to suggest it as Classe have recently been sold as a company (to the owners of Denon and Marantz) and so the future of the product is unknown, but if you can get one at a good price, a Classe Sigma SSP might be an option and could even possibly replace your NAC-N 272.

Posted on: 15 February 2018 by vintageaxeman

Hi Teslik, I have sent you a private message on your 'wall'. Best regards, David

Posted on: 15 February 2018 by Tesilk

Hi David, just answered.