When should the nSub have ‘invert’ put on?

Posted by: Consciousmess on 14 February 2018

Is it when the nSub is between the front two speakers so as not to overblow the bass? Or is it when it’s in the centre between the rear two speakers?

Or else, when? Cheers.

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by SB955i

Hi there. Not familiar with the nSub (tried to find a manual online but gave up), but all subwoofers have either an invert or a phase dial control.  Dependent on the setting, it determines which way the speaker coil ( and diaphragm attached) moves when it first gets a signal. Either it moves out of the cabinet, or into the cabinet, or some in-between 'phase'.   If your sub is ported (most are), this would cause either the port to suck or blow first, dependent on the setting.  

As these sub-driven sound waves propagate, bounce off walls, get absorbed by furniture, and interact with your other speakers' waves, they can either reinforce ( increase the loudness), or subtract (decrease loudness) of the overall sound (where you sit).  By changing your setting, you can 'tune' your subwoofer to give you an acceptable level that sounds 'right'.  There is no 'best' or 'preferred' setting. It's totally dependent on your situation.

You will also have on your theatre processor, or sub, some settings such as subwoofer gain, and subwoofer cut-off. The gain acts as volume/power control..increasing or decreasing the loudness (power). The cutoff, will set where the other speakers stop working, and where the sub starts working.  So you should look at your speaker specs and pick a cutoff that matches.

Hope that helps. Play around with it.

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by ChrisSU

If you google Naim Nsub Manual you should find downloadable versions of it. It’s a combined manual for their whole speaker range at that time, and the N-Sub is the last one, so you may have missed it. 

Posted on: 14 February 2018 by SB955i

I got lazy