Greta Van Fleet. (It's the name of a band, not a madam)

Posted by: vintageaxeman on 15 February 2018

Chances are that you haven't heard of them. They're only young.  DON'T watch the youtube videos.  They look like 1D or some young boy band who actually CAN play their instruments.  But if you like good quality old-school rock with a few other influences thrown in, do me a favour.  Have a listen on Spotify, and please write your response on here, if you agree with me that this young band are producing a quality sound.

Posted on: 26 February 2018 by joerand

Crazy good band. Blues infused classic rock with lead vocals à la Robert Plant. Don't let the fact that these guys are still in their teens bias you; they are formidably talented. The sky's the limit for them if they can stay on track.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by Bert Schurink

Indeed sounds quite good. A bit of a Led and AC/DC feeling. Triggers me to mention another strange band name from the world of serious jazz. De Beren Gieren....

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by GraemeH
joerand posted:

Crazy good band. Blues infused classic rock with lead vocals à la Robert Plant. Don't let the fact that these guys are still in their teens bias you; they are formidably talented. The sky's the limit for them if they can stay on track.

If they can push through the mimicry phase and find their voice perhaps.

G

I got triggered by another crazy name I had to share. And then I will stop as I don’t want to steal the thread. Also jazz Talking Cows - quite good...

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by dave marshall
vintageaxeman posted:

Chances are that you haven't heard of them. They're only young.  DON'T watch the youtube videos.  They look like 1D or some young boy band who actually CAN play their instruments.  But if you like good quality old-school rock with a few other influences thrown in, do me a favour.  Have a listen on Spotify, and please write your response on here, if you agree with me that this young band are producing a quality sound.

Planty has said that it's most unlikely that there will be another Zep reunion ............... oh well, who cares, these kids have nailed it.

Will probably content myself with the first EP, which is available on Tidal, until the prices on the the "Black Smoke Rising" album settle down a bit.

As Graeme says above, it will be interesting to see how this band develops on the next album, .............. but for now, it's a "Whole Lotta Love" from me.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by Nick Lees

I bit. I watched Joe’s video. Hopelessly LZ derivative. So I went against the OP’s orders and YouTubed a live song. Hopelessly LZ derivative, and they’re about 16 FFS (and where does all that voice come from?). So I did another live song. Still hopelessly LZ derivative.

And now I’m sitting here streaming the album (Qobuz). It’s still hopelessly LZ derivative, but I’m still listening with a smile...

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by Nick Lees

P.S. Finished the album (it’s not very long), and it’s a lot of toe-tapping fun. The last two tracks are, I think, the best, being the least shoe-horned into an early Zep template (Talk On The Street isn’t really Zep at all, more 13th Floor Elevators). I’d hope these would be a jumping off point for the future of the band.

I’m going to pretend they didn’t cover Meet On The Ledge which, although not bad, is a bit of a sacred cow for me.

Good stuff.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by Eoink

I’m very impressed, yep derivative, but they play well and the singer has a serious voice. Having seen Nick’s comment I was dreading Meet on the Ledge, actually I liked it, it had a Cropredy finisher vibe for me. Very talented, and I really Like this album.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by nickpeacock

Is it just me or do they sound a bit like Led Zeppelin?

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by fatcat

Why would anybody go to the trouble of sounding like Led Zeppelin.

Especially the vocalist.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by spurrier sucks

I've been playing this album for a few weeks now. It's a fun listen and happy there are young guys still interested in playing rock here in the states. 

fatcat posted:

Especially the vocalist.

It’s quite normal that a young band sounds very much like their hero’s, that’s how you learn to play - copying the music you like. It will take some time for them to find an own signature.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by GraemeH
Bert Schurink posted:
fatcat posted:

Especially the vocalist.

It’s quite normal that a young band sounds very much like their hero’s, that’s how you learn to play - copying the music you like. It will take some time for them to find an own signature.

True for most artistic genre’s,.

G

Posted on: 28 February 2018 by TOBYJUG

Wouldn't these young chaps have more commercial success as a high end big ticket, big production live tribute band - such as the Australian Pink Floyd - but for the Zep fans ??

Posted on: 28 February 2018 by spurrier sucks

I believe these guys are on that side of the pond touring now. Good time to check them out. I think they have more to offer than as a tribute band. Time will tell I suppose. 

Posted on: 28 February 2018 by dave marshall
spurrier sucks posted:

I believe these guys are on that side of the pond touring now. Good time to check them out. I think they have more to offer than as a tribute band. Time will tell I suppose. 

Well, they must be doing something right, since all UK dates are fully sold out .............. oh well. 

Posted on: 28 February 2018 by TOBYJUG

Maybe it doesn't need that much talent to push that particular envelope.  

Posted on: 28 February 2018 by spurrier sucks
TOBYJUG posted:

Maybe it doesn't need that much talent to push that particular envelope.  

It is rock. Lol. I've seen some untalented folks make a good run. I think the singer may outshine the band in this case. That said they are young and have time to grow.