Old Grey Whistle Test 3 hour Special on Fri 23 Feb 2018

Posted by: vintageaxeman on 19 February 2018

On BBC Four, Friday 23rd February 2018
For One Night Only
The Old Grey Whistle Test 3 hour Special to celebrate 30yrs since it ended.

Hosted by Bob Harris, this live studio show features music, special guests and rare archive footage to mark the 30 years since the legendary series was last broadcast.
Featuring performances from Peter Frampton, Richard Thompson, Albert Lee and more. Bob also chats to Whistle Test alumni, including Dave Stewart, Joan Armatrading, Ian Anderson, Chris Difford and Kiki Dee.

Posted on: 19 February 2018 by MDS

Must set the set-top box to record that. I have happy memories of Bob H and TOGWT.

Posted on: 19 February 2018 by Eoink

Thanks, I’ll also record that.

Posted on: 19 February 2018 by fatcat

Thanks. Sounds promising.

Let’s hope they broadcast a few performances not previously shown on compilation show. Although I must admit, I never tire of seeing Little Feat’s, Rock and Roll Doctor.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by fatcat

Not what I expected, a lot better.

Albert lee was the standout performer IMO. Amazing a 75 year old can sing this well, and his playing is not too bad either.

Posted on: 27 February 2018 by Clive B

I missed it on TV, but thanks so much for posting. I am so glad he hasn't managed to put Country Boy to bed yet. Great song, great picking!

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by Owen Davies

Watched it on iPlayer - thoroughly enjoyed it, well worth viewing.  Loved the way they honored the show by showcasing some new artists as well as delving into their fabulous archives

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by blythe

Is there a list anywhere of everything that was played?

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by vintageaxeman

Probably not. Although I might do that myself....

Obviously tastes vary, but recently I bought and watched a box set in 4 parts called RECTIFY, by the makers of Breaking Bad. It was very much Southern Gothic, but as well as the story being fascinating, the music was too. It's not available on CD but it IS on Spotify, thanks to some kind soul! And it's BRILLIANT! Check it out.

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by Eoink

Finally been home long enough to watch this, what a good show. Lovely to see the guests, and to be reminded of the hours I spent watching Old Grey Whistle Test, and the musicians I found through the show. 

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by AndyP19

I must say I was very underwhelmed by the whole thing - and that's from a big fan of the show in the 1970/80's and a fan of Bob Harris as a presenter, although he does seem to have somewhat fallen under the spell of, as John Peel would say, the cult of the DJ even down to the cringey outros from Emmylou Harris and Duane Eddie (did he even appear on the programme?), with the former's constant reference to "your show Bob" - reminded me of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore in Bedazzled - Oh Bob you're wonderful, you're amazing, you're unbelievable..... However, I did have a moment of schadenfreude recalling the night Bob introduced Sham 69 saying after their performance of "There's gonna be a Borstal break" - that maybe someone's cup of tea but it's certainly not mine (and me thinking No! - the times they are a changing) - and with that he was gone, replaced the next week by Annie Nightingale.

Such a shame we didn't see more than a fleeting collage of some of the amazing performances and interviews - Bob Interviewing Keith Richards and Annie Nightingale putting Jeff Beck in his place are both worth seeking out on Youtube.

Disapppointing that the interview with Ian Emes hardly even referred to the Pink Floyd song (One of These Days) or that the animation slot made no mention of Frank Zappa's City of Tiny Lights which has to the OGWT's crowning glory in terms of their animation section.

Nice to see Richard Thompson in fine form, although disappointed he didn't get to tell his story about James Brown appearing at the Ryman Auditorium - Bob promptly (even rudely I think) shut that down. Danny Baker is always good value and a true fan of the show re. his reference to the band Druid. Pity nothing from Mark Ellen or more from Richard Williams, both outstanding presenters.

Thank goodness for the fast forward on iplayer - I would have much preferred 3 hours of back to back performanes. Luckily I have the DVD 'OGWT - The Definite Collection' ( 5 hours of the best performaces ) still out there for around £15.