"The First Time" - BBC 6 Music

Posted by: nickpeacock on 02 March 2018

I thought I'd put in a plug for this series, presented on BBC 6 Music by Matt Everitt (formerly the drummer with Menswear).

Each episode, Matt interviews a pop star about various firsts in their career to date, interspersed with tunes from the interviewee or their influences.

At any one time you can usually download multiple past episodes via BBC iPlayer Radio, which is usually how I end up listening to it. They seem to keep re-releasing lots of past series. Jonny Greenwood's on the site at the moment, I see.

It's a surprisingly good series and it's surprising just how well some of the interviewees come across (Ian Brown, for example, I remember as being really quite passionate and committed). I've just listened to the Karl Hyde episode, who came across as a really interesting decent fellow.

I don't download all of them, and some of them have been a little underwhelming, but more often than not it's been a most enjoyable and uplifting means of whiling away an hour or so on tube journeys and the like...

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by Kevin-W

Yes it's a good series Nick. The Roger Waters one was fascinating. And i agree with you about Mr Hyde.

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by thebigfredc

Thanks for the heads up Nick.

Posted on: 04 March 2018 by nickpeacock

The Shaun Ryder episode has just been posted back on the site...

Posted on: 06 March 2018 by nickpeacock

And for Pink Floyd fans, you can currently hear episodes with David Gilmour and Roger Waters (ahem, separately...)

Posted on: 06 March 2018 by Gazza

Have enjoyed some of these. Dave Gilmour talking about paying for 15 year old Kate Bush to record her first 3 tracks in Air studios, including “man with the child in his eyes”, ......just 15 years old, amazing.

Posted on: 12 March 2018 by mudwolf

I found it on internet, Jeff Lynne was interesting and I thought REM would be but they played so much music they only had a couple interesting things to say.  On Axis Dan Rather had more good questions and got them to talk. 

I see that these talks expire so I'll have to  keep looking,  some of them don't interest me at all.  And a couple short ones I couldn't understand the rocker at all.