Something up with Qobuz?

Posted by: docbot on 02 March 2018

Tried to buy the new Kieth Jarrett album but the site wouldn’t let me pay by PayPal. No probs in the past. Anyone else having difficulty? I have reported it to their support but no response yet.

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by AndyP19

Just bought a stack from Qobuz in last 20 mins and all OK - paid with PayPal.

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by Nick Lees

They’ve changed the way they interface with PayPal, that’s for sure, but I bought with no issues.

Mind you, I tried to add an album at Sublime rate and it insisted of adding it to the basket at the full rate. I had to adjust at the basket level.

As much as I like Qobuz, and I do like it a great deal, I suspect they’re currently run extremely lean on resourcing. Not especially surprising when no one is making much out of streaming services.

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by Stampie

I had a problem last night - 3 attempts were refused (according to Qobuz), but PayPal showing as all 3 paid!

I am now awaiting refund.....

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by AndyP19

Probably the adverse weather conditions - ????

Agree Qobuz is great but always needs to be checked against:-

7digital, Boomkat, Bandcamp, Bleep and Juno.

Amazing how much you can save by (on-line) shopping around.

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by Bert Schurink

Qobuz is great in pricing but starting to get worse at service...

1. Download issues every now and then every song in one folder

2. Pricing odd on a n album, strange reply from support

3. Mathias Eick Album pre-ordered but not downloading, support doesn’t react

4. Basket issues 

so it’s clear that they are low on staff....

Posted on: 02 March 2018 by docbot

No reply yet from support. Probably all gone home! Yes, the interface has changed. I managed to buy the album from my pc but it was not possible from my iPad via safari. Let’s hope they get it sorted soon.

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by jfritzen
docbot posted:

No reply yet from support. Probably all gone home! Yes, the interface has changed. I managed to buy the album from my pc but it was not possible from my iPad via safari. Let’s hope they get it sorted soon.

I have problems with paying via PayPal from my iPad too. I will try it from the Mac then.

Posted on: 03 March 2018 by hungryhalibut

I couldn’t use PayPal on the iPad yesterday, but it was fine on the computer. 

I’ve recently had a couple of albums where one track stopped after a very short time, which were downloaded via the Qobuz desktop. I then tried a manual download of the track and it was ok. It’s a bit of a nuisance as the file names are different, depending on whether they are manual downloads or done via the desktop. Also, single track downloads contain no album art, so it needs to be added from the others. 

Posted on: 06 March 2018 by Bert Schurink

Had another issue with them. The frustrating answer they always give is select another album and we will add it to your account, but they never solve the original issue....

Posted on: 06 March 2018 by hungryhalibut

I’ve had three albums, downloaded with the Desktop, where one track has crashed out. But as a manual download they are fine. Still, I’ve got three free alternative albums, so it could be worse. There is definitely something wrong with their desktop downloader though. 

Posted on: 06 March 2018 by VladtheImpala

I had similar problems at the weekend. It would seem they have changed their payment system. I've logged a Customer Service message with them and am awaiting a reply. I've also had a number of issues with download errors, though this usually happens when downloading many albums.

I had a few (well, 15) albums in my basket and couldn't pay using Visa on either my Mac using Safari or on my Windows PC via Internet Explorer. I tried at least half a dozen times on each machine, without success.

On the Mac, the payment page simply did nothing and on PC I simply got an error and returned to the order confirmation page.  

I did eventually manage to process a payment, after a couple of tries, using Chrome on my PC.

I am a subscriber and do use Qobuz for most of my downloads as they seem to have the music I want and have some really good special offers. Hope they get their act together!

Regards,

Vlad 

Posted on: 06 March 2018 by Alley Cat
Bert Schurink posted:

Qobuz is great in pricing but starting to get worse at service...

1. Download issues every now and then every song in one folder

2. Pricing odd on a n album, strange reply from support

3. Mathias Eick Album pre-ordered but not downloading, support doesn’t react

4. Basket issues 

so it’s clear that they are low on staff....

Downloads to the app on iPhone have been incredibly slow in recent months and even on desktop have been slower than they used to be - more users or less bandwidth?

It took almost a week for them to respond to an issue with the app not downloading purchases on a new iPhone and the response was quite brief along the lines of reinstall the app.

Perhaps time to ensure all purchases I've made have actually been downloaded.

Posted on: 06 March 2018 by Alley Cat

Not tried Tidal but this rag rates Tidal over Qobuz for hi-res:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/...der-hi-fi-and-av-kit

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by AndyP19
VladtheImpala posted:

I had similar problems at the weekend. It would seem they have changed their payment system. I've logged a Customer Service message with them and am awaiting a reply. I've also had a number of issues with download errors, though this usually happens when downloading many albums.

I had a few (well, 15) albums in my basket and couldn't pay using Visa on either my Mac using Safari or on my Windows PC via Internet Explorer. I tried at least half a dozen times on each machine, without success.

On the Mac, the payment page simply did nothing and on PC I simply got an error and returned to the order confirmation page.  

I did eventually manage to process a payment, after a couple of tries, using Chrome on my PC.

I am a subscriber and do use Qobuz for most of my downloads as they seem to have the music I want and have some really good special offers. Hope they get their act together!

Regards,

Vlad 

15 in one go - excellent -  almost in Bert's league.

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by David O'Higgins
Stampie posted:

I had a problem last night - 3 attempts were refused (according to Qobuz), but PayPal showing as all 3 paid!

I am now awaiting refund.....

Stampie, you'll be lucky! Qobuz 'doesn't do refunds', despite the law. I had a dreadful experience with them some months ago, which was finally sorted with the assistance of Paypal. Their arrogance (when you can get them) is extraordinary. I find the download experience very poor compared to HDTracks, for instance. The only advantage is that you may download multiple times (provided they are still around), but I have never needed to do this.

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by T38.45

just checked, it works...payed and download music online....

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by docbot

Just tried to buy Jeremy Pelt’s new album from my iPad, still no good. No response yet from Qobuz!

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by VladtheImpala
AndyP19 posted:
VladtheImpala posted:

Regards,

Vlad 

15 in one go - excellent -  almost in Bert's league.

Not quite! I've heard a rumour that the British Library and the National Library of Congress are being amalgamated to form a music collection to rival Bert's.................

It would interesting to see what a collection league table would look like based on ownership of albums (vinyl, CDs and downloads). I have 13,844 albums and I know guys that have many more than this number. Who has more?

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by Alley Cat

Assuming 45 min per album that will take you just over a year to listen to.

Suspect many people have more albums, but legally?

I am resigned to the fact now at 57 years old and whilst enjoying retirement at the current rate of buying I will be unable to listen to the whole collection and many will go un-played.

My kids asked me what I would do with the collection when I pop my clogs which I haven't got an answer, as they seem uninterested in inheriting a house load of music.

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by Alley Cat
AndyP19 posted:

I am resigned to the fact now at 57 years old and whilst enjoying retirement at the current rate of buying I will be unable to listen to the whole collection and many will go un-played.

My kids asked me what I would do with the collection when I pop my clogs which I haven't got an answer, as they seem uninterested in inheriting a house load of music.

At least physical music can be passed on.

Digital music purchases are a minefiled in many ways, as well as 'shared family music'.

Guess the streaming generations just won't care about 'owning' (!) music.

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by Tony2011
AndyP19 posted:

Oh,  you spring chick! The best thing about  digi music is that you can shove the lot on a stick and take it to your grave.  As most of my music is on vinyl, I think I'm gonna need a bigger box when I'm six feet under.

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by VladtheImpala
AndyP19 posted:

It would interesting to see what a collection league table would look like based on ownership of albums (vinyl, CDs and downloads). I have 13,844 albums and I know guys that have many more than this number. Who has more?

Somewhere in the region of 10,000 for me across vinyl, CD and downloads. There'll be a few people on this forum for whom that will be a drop in the ocean....... and what about professional broadcasters, serious collectors, DJ's? Imagine what John Peel's record collection must have looked like!

Oh, and still nothing back from Qobuz.

Posted on: 07 March 2018 by French Rooster

no possibility to pay with ipad for paypal but no problem with pc.