Why don’t more artists record in Q Sound?

Posted by: Consciousmess on 13 March 2018

i have just purchased and played Sting, Fields of Gold, recording in Q Sound and the sound is like a cloud blown up/inflated behind the speakers and up.

i don’t care whether he voluntarily had his bottom two ribs removed, but for a 44.1kHz 16 bit piece - Q Sound is something!

Why is it not more widely used?

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by Innocent Bystander

No answer to the question, and not familiar with that one, but Pink Floyd were doing interesting things with what was called ‘holophonics’ on The Final Cut, and there was a discussion on another thread in the past year or so about the effect in Roger Waters’ Amused to Death which uncannily places the old soldier recounting his tale sitting right next to you, which I believe is Q-sound.

it would probably add to some recoredings, of some music, but maybe not everything - but I don’t know enough about it, either from the technological point of view or whether ther is any negative trade-off to have a firm view. That said, Amused to Death is one of the best quality recordings I’ve heard.

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by kevin J Carden

The sad real world answer is that we audiofixates are a microscopic corner of the market and it would have little or no additive commercial value for the artist/label. The same reason that most mainstream new music doesn’t even bother to make sure it sounds good in normal Stereo. How punchy it sounds on a cheap Radio or in MP3 on Apple earbuds is all that really counts commercially. sadly...

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by Consciousmess

Two good answers and having read them and thought, I agree.

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by Clive B

Sad but true. 

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by blythe

I suspect that as Q-Sound was basically a positional three-dimensional (3D) sound processing algorithm, it was largely overtaken by multi-speaker 5.1 Surround sound.

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by Drikus

Link: Who's Using QSound Audio Technology 

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by Mercky

Q sound has been around for almost 30 years now, I work in the recording industry and I recall it been tested on an album we were working on back in the late 80’s, the band which will remain nameless dident go for it in the end but I remember the kit as been quite sizeable, I think it worked on some sort of computerised selective phasing principle which gave the effect of a very wide spacial sound

Posted on: 13 March 2018 by blythe
Drikus posted:

The last album listed here was released in 2002...