Pink Floyd - Pulse

Posted by: fathings cat on 22 March 2018

I  know there are quite a few Floydians on the forum so good news they are rereleasing Pulse on vinyl.

Just a heads up

Gary

Posted on: 22 March 2018 by AndyP19

With blinking LED?

Posted on: 22 March 2018 by fathings cat

Sadly not.....

Posted on: 23 March 2018 by fathings cat

Relics is on it’s way too.

Gary

Posted on: 24 March 2018 by Drewy

It was only the cd box that had the blinking led wasn’t it? I’ve always wanted this on Vinyl.

Posted on: 24 March 2018 by joerand

I'm happy for those excited by the new vinyl offering. I look at this edition of "Pulse" the same way I looked at the new release of "Amused To Death" - my current (original) CD sounds so freaking good how could I reasonably expect to improve on it in any format? If it ain't broke, don't try'n fix it. Why throw money at something that's working?

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by tonym

I was at the concert at Earl's Court when they recorded Pulse, and subsequently bought it on laserdisc. After a long delay, it was eventally released on DVD but, for reasons unknown, it used alternative, and somewhat poorer, cuts of the concert. This lesser version was used for the album and put me off it - the old laserdisc was far superior.

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Drewy
joerand posted:

I'm happy for those excited by the new vinyl offering. I look at this edition of "Pulse" the same way I looked at the new release of "Amused To Death" - my current (original) CD sounds so freaking good how could I reasonably expect to improve on it in any format? If it ain't broke, don't try'n fix it. Why throw money at something that's working?

I haven’t even got it on cd so I’ll choose to treat myself to it on vinyl. My father had it on cd and I used to listen to that. Not sure if he still has it, it was a random purchase for him as he’s no music collector. 

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by Kevin-W

I bought the original vinyl set when it came out in '95, and I was shocked to see how much it goes for these days.

So it's great that that those wanting the vinyl can get hold of it at last without shelling out hundreds of squids.

But truth be told, P*U*L*S*E is not that great.

For a start, it's not really Pink Floyd, is it?

Second, the post-Waters material that takes up a lot of the album is - "High Hopes" excepted - absolute rubbish with deeply cringeworthy lyrics.

And thirdly, although there are no overdubs on the album, there are a lot of edits and, as far as I can remember, at least 20 different concert sources are used. This means that what were somewhat bloodless performances to begin with are render even more sterile by Gilmour and Guthrie's tinkering. TBH, there are much better bootlegs out there.

It's better than the rather wretched Delicate Sound of Thunder live debacle of 1988, but that's setting the bar low.

It's a pity the Floyd aren't following the cassette track listing - then we'd get the 25-minute "soundcsape" that the Floyd used to feature pre-show. It's an even greater pity that the group don't release the Brighton 72, Earls Court 73, British Winter Tour 74, and LA 75 tapes that were recorded by the band instead. And everyone knows that the entire 1977 tour was recorded from the desk onto a Nakamichi tape deck. This is one of the Pink Holy Grails. Boston 25th June and Madison Square Garden 2nd and 4th July are jaw-dropping, with the band - Gilmour particularly - on fire.

Still I might re-listen to the album later, to see if time has improved it somewhat.

Posted on: 25 March 2018 by mrclick

I don’t think it has Kevin. I bought it in 95 as well and think I’ve still only managed to listen to about four or five tracks. Lovely package and book though.