Commonwealth Games

Posted by: winkyincanada on 04 April 2018

Mods. Please delete this thread due to lack of interest.

Posted on: 04 April 2018 by Eloise
winkyincanada posted:

Is this satire? Did you start writing a new thread and get bored with the idea?

Posted on: 04 April 2018 by winkyincanada
Eloise posted:
winkyincanada posted:

Is this satire? Did you start writing a new thread and get bored with the idea?

I must have already been bored for the idea of the Commonwealth Games to even enter my head.

Posted on: 05 April 2018 by joerand

Winky, would reports of cheating at the Commonwealth Games make them more intriguing for you?

Posted on: 05 April 2018 by Eloise
winkyincanada posted:

I must have already been bored for the idea of the Commonwealth Games to even enter my head.

Well it appears the whole thing bored the Brownlee Brothers!

Posted on: 05 April 2018 by winkyincanada
joerand posted:

Winky, would reports of cheating at the Commonwealth Games make them more intriguing for you?

No, why?

Posted on: 05 April 2018 by JamieWednesday

England top of the table at end of day one with six Gold medals. Which is nice.

Posted on: 05 April 2018 by winkyincanada
JamieWednesday posted:

England top of the table at end of day one with six Gold medals. Which is nice.

Nice for them, I guess. Perhaps not so much for the competitors who were beaten.

Posted on: 05 April 2018 by JamieWednesday

Maybe they’ll feel they should put more effort in and do better next time then. Lightweights.

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by winkyincanada

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/a...20180408-p4z8dr.html

I think that race walking is one of the stupidest sports of all time. This sort of outcome doesn't undermine that opinion in the slightest.

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by u77033103172058601

In fairness, pretty much all sports are stupid and the people who watch them even more stupid.

Posted on: 08 April 2018 by winkyincanada
Nick from Suffolk posted:

In fairness, pretty much all sports are stupid and the people who watch them even more stupid.

It's not really stupid to participate in sport, as sport can provide fitness, camaraderie and general satisfaction. It is important to undertake things that are hard.

But your point about it being silly to watch sports is harder to refute. I watch a little bit of cycling and some olympics, I guess.

My sport, cycling, also provides me with a practical and enjoyable way to commute to work, as well as a great way to explore the world. It also the focus of many of my non-family vacations.

Posted on: 08 April 2018 by ChrisSU
winkyincanada posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/a...20180408-p4z8dr.html

I think that race walking is one of the stupidest sports of all time. This sort of outcome doesn't undermine that opinion in the slightest.

She must have been almost as disappointed as I was in 2001, when the World Bog Snorkelling Champoinship was cancelled due to a Foot and Mouth Disease outbreak.

Posted on: 09 April 2018 by Don Atkinson

Well, I've watched a few highlights - I tend not to watch sport, I prefer to be outside hiking, running or cycling - but I must say, these Commonwealth Games do seem to have a better balance of sportsmanship and competitiveness than the Olympics or World Championships. Perhaps the dark morality and drug abuse is better concealed, but on the surface, they do appear to be a jolly good bunch of participants.