Izy

Posted by: JamieWednesday on 07 April 2018

An emotional morning.

When I first saw her all those years back, I expected nothing more than signals of her Oriental breeding. Neat, dependable, ever willing to please. However, that dash of red she was wearing when I first saw her hinted at so much more.

We’ve had twenty wonderful years together, but I hadn’t seen her since last Autumn, just as the nights were getting that bit colder and the scent of bonfires was in the air.

Oh, I promised I’d take her out and look after her more than once, but I always had an excuse. It was too cold, too wet, I had a headache. And so, she was left. On her own. Neglected.

This morning, after a couple of bright days, the first hint of Spring, I was determined to make a real effort to see her again. So I went over to her little home and let myself in (I have a key).

As I opened the door though, I immediately sensed something was wrong. Then I saw Izy, lifeless, a puddle of liquid beneath her. I rushed over, grabbed hold of her and dragged her outside. Desperate to find any signs of life, I pulled and pulled at her but there was nothing. Not a cough, not a splutter even.  Was she dead?

Think! What can I do to save her? Do I need to call someone, would they even be able to bring her back? But this was Izy, she depends on me and me alone. No-one else has shown her any attention or cared for her all these years, it was down to me. Perhaps she just needs someone to show her how much she was needed, how much she was loved. I worked and I worked, trying everything I could think of. Then it started to rain and I thought even The Gods are against us, now racing against time before the heavens truly I opened I gave her one last tug and amazingly she sprang into life. Joy!

She was a little rattled to begin with but with just a little more TLC she was settling into her familiar purr, waiting for me to take her out for another stroll around the gardens.

Welcome Back Izy. Here’s to another 20 years.

IZY

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by Innocent Bystander

You should take up writing!

nice to have a palm tree in the garden...

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by Richard Dane

Brilliant post.

Which reminds me, I’ve been somewhat neglectful these winter months as well..,

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Great!

This reminds me i have a stiga 4WD that needs a complete check before season starts and....no...i am not in love!

Posted on: 07 April 2018 by TOBYJUG

Adding a power supply will make the grass greener.

Posted on: 10 April 2018 by Derek Wright

Consider using Aspen fuel, it does not clog the carburettor up like regular petrol station fuel.

See

https://aspenfuel.co.uk/

Posted on: 10 April 2018 by Huge

It's particularly beneficial for engines that only have occasional use and/or extended periods of standing.

Compared to normal automotive petrol, on standing:
The low aromatic content will substantially reduce 'gumming' of fine components such as carburettor jets.
The low ethanol and halogen content will reduce corrosion on bores and piston rings.

If Izy is 4 stroke, consider also using a synthetic (low SAPS) oil for the same reasons (Aspen 2 is a pre-mix anyway).

Posted on: 10 April 2018 by Hook

A fine post! Izy deserves his own Facebook page.

At the very least, he should be considered for official forum mascot status. 

Posted on: 10 April 2018 by Innocent Bystander
Hook posted:

I thought Izy was a she...

Posted on: 10 April 2018 by Fabio 1

Very fine indeed,Jamie.This way of writing makes me displeasing that English is not my first language,as I would like to write a refined reply.Oh,and I agree with Derek,Aspen is very nice.

Posted on: 10 April 2018 by Hook
Innocent Bystander posted:
Hook posted:

I thought Izy was a she...

Oops, my bad - apologies to Izy. Guess I was projecting. My lawnmower’s name is Claudius.

Posted on: 12 April 2018 by JamieWednesday

Thank you for your comments.

Alas Izzy leads a sheltered existence and I fear would falter were she to be thrusted further into the shining limelight that is the net as a forum, or even thread, mascot.

Aspen though looks a good shout! Cheers.

Posted on: 12 April 2018 by Richard Dane

Now you've done it Jamie!

I managed to top up the oil and get a new blade on my ancient Hayter yesterday afternoon.  That and a new bit of plumbers tape on the rather crumbly looking fuel line and she was good to go.  It took three or four good strong pulls on the starter, a few puffs of smoke and about four or five shuddering thumps, and she chugged into life. Damn. It mean't I had to at least try to get the first cut in before dark.  3 hours later and thanks to winter growth and clogging moss, the lawns are only half done.  I tell myself it keeps me fit...