Anyone else lost BBC4 HD?

Posted by: Kevin-W on 21 April 2018

I know there have been a number of Freeview 'retune events' recently, and now (my local transmitter is Crystal Palace) I have lost BBC4 on HD. I've retuned both my Freeview TV and YouView box, and updated software on both, but to no avail.

I seem to have lost a number of other channels as well but I'm not really bothered, but BBC4 is one of my favourite channels and as it hosts a lot of arts and history shows it seems a shame not to have it on HD.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Mike-B

Hi Kevin,  seems like you've run foul of the dreaded 700MHz clearance retune.   

The CP retune was on 21 March.   It did not change most of the multiplex (CH) groups,   except two;  one of which is COM8 & that carries BBC4 HD.    The retune moved COM7 & COM8 from CH33 & 35 to CH55 & 56.  Bottom line is you need a new aerial,   your existing aerial is (or should be a group A)  which is tuned to receive CH21 to 37.  You need a group T aerial thats tuned to receive CH21 to 60.      

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by MDS

Yes. I think I'm in the same position. My ariel points towards the Crystal Palace transmitter and my 'free-view' channels on my BT box have become flaky. I'm now defaulting to using my old Sky box for free-view stuff but I need to grasp-the-nettle and upgrade my ariel (it predates digital transmissions so must be very low tech). 

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by GraemeH
Kevin-W posted:

I know there have been a number of Freeview 'retune events' recently, and now (my local transmitter is Crystal Palace) I have lost BBC4 on HD. I've retuned both my Freeview TV and YouView box, and updated software on both, but to no avail.

I seem to have lost a number of other channels as well but I'm not really bothered, but BBC4 is one of my favourite channels and as it hosts a lot of arts and history shows it seems a shame not to have it on HD.

Anyone else had a similar problem?

But can you still get ‘Cunk on Britain’...?

G

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Kevin-W
Mike-B posted:

Hi Kevin,  seems like you've run foul of the dreaded 700MHz clearance retune.   

The CP retune was on 21 March.   It did not change most of the multiplex (CH) groups,   except two;  one of which is COM8 & that carries BBC4 HD.    The retune moved COM7 & COM8 from CH33 & 35 to CH55 & 56.  Bottom line is you need a new aerial,   your existing aerial is (or should be a group A)  which is tuned to receive CH21 to 37.  You need a group T aerial thats tuned to receive CH21 to 60.      

Ah thanks Mike. My aerial is ancient - I moved in here 21 years ago and it was there then so I think you're probably right.

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Kevin-W
GraemeH posted:

But can you still get ‘Cunk on Britain’...?

G

She's BBC2, so fortunately yes. La Cunk needs full HD.

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by GraemeH

The length and width of Britain!

G

Posted on: 21 April 2018 by Mike-B
Kevin-W posted:

Ah thanks Mike. My aerial is ancient - I moved in here 21 years ago and it was there then so I think you're probably right.

I expect this has probably caught a lot of people out Kevin.    CP has been on aerial Group A since the start of the UHF service in 1984,  remaining unchanged through the digital switch over & various other channel changes until March this year & the 700MHz clearance.     An alternative for CP was aerial Group K (21-48),  or one of the widebands Group W (21-68) or Group T (21-60).    Now with just those two multiplexes getting moved to 55 & 56,  the people with Group W or T are laughing.