How do you buy music in the UK if it’s only available in the States?

Posted by: Consciousmess on 02 May 2018

I want to buy and download Knopfler’s Shangri La in 24bit 96kHz, but only the American site permits this, not the UK site.

How can I get round this, as I cannot find this album in this resolution in the UK??

(Surely others have experienced similar frustrations??!)

Posted on: 02 May 2018 by Eloise

I assume you’ve tried putting in a US address and paying via pay pay?

If that doesn’t work you need a VPN.

Posted on: 02 May 2018 by David O'Higgins

You don’t necessarily need a VPN (virtual private network), but it is likely to be useful, not just for this, but also to e.g. use Sky Go when travelling, etc. I find SaferVPN very reliable and good value. Once you have installed it, choose a USA identity, and then log on to the site from which you wish to download.

Set up an account with the download site, using a valid US address and telephone number. Then buy your download, and specify PayPal as payment mechanism (you will need to set up a PayPal account first), and then proceed to download.

It is nearly 4 years since I set this up first, so I don’t know if it will still work, but it’s worth a try. There’s nothing so frustrating as knowing that there is a 24 bit version of something you want, and not being able to buy it.

Posted on: 03 May 2018 by Consciousmess

Ok thanks, both, I’ll install SaferVPN, as I’ve gone on to the US site while at work, and bought the 24bit album with US address and PayPal, but now cannot download as work forbids the installation of apps to do this.  At home (in UK) I cannot go on the US site as it always redirects me to its UK site.

So I’ve paid the money through PayPal and cannot download it!!!

ill try SaferVPN later, so cheers.

Posted on: 04 May 2018 by Consciousmess

Ok thanks, both, I’ll install SaferVPN, as I’ve gone on to the US site while at work, and bought the 24bit album with US address and PayPal, but now cannot download as work forbids the installation of apps to do this.  At home (in UK) I cannot go on the US site as it always redirects me to its UK site.

So I’ve paid the money through PayPal and cannot download it!!!

ill try SaferVPN later, so cheers.

Posted on: 04 May 2018 by Consciousmess

Worked and fantastic- thanks!

Can now hear that on 5:15 AM track, it’s plural: “Jags” not “Jag”’ - ah 24bit!!!