Is this forum becoming tired?

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 16 May 2018

Do you sometimes find it a struggle to find something new and interesting to discuss on this forum.  Of course we are a niche forum and there is only so much that can be discussed but still to me it seems that more is being said by less people (the same people) about the same old subjects.

Even in my short time here about three years it feels like some of the more interesting and eclectic members seemed to have either left or have slowly posted less and less leaving us a very agreeable but sometimes less interesting forum.  

For a company that was built upon free thinking that wants to push itself forward and attract new customers it feels perhaps this forum doesn't reflect this. I cannot imagine any of the new Uniti customers coming to Naim Audio for the first time rushing to post on this forum.

This isn't a dig at anyone in particular and I am a regular poster and so as much a part of what I'm describing as anyone.  Perhaps it is just me and all of the rest of you are inspired and super enthusiastic about what you find posted here but for me some new and dare I say younger posters would be great and very welcome.

Posted on: 16 May 2018 by hafler3o

I used to post, and still read semi-regularly, the goings-on in Naim-land. One day I might need the advice of others so it's only fair I chip in the odd helpful comment. As an ex engineer I'm 'in-tune' with Naim philosophy and capable of thinking through my own problems so really am only here for forthright opinions / debates and the jokes. I don't bother with social media at all, maybe it is causing some form of 'suck-out'?

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by French Rooster

recently i enjoyed the munich thread.  Have some feedbacks on other stuff , with photos, gives the forum more interesting to me.  There should be more threads like this.

The never ending threads on hugo streaming, cd player or streamer, cd555 vs nds, naim intended sound...became tiring for me.

But generally i enjoy this forum and like post or read.

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Richard Dane

Bob, when you ask whether the forum is becoming tired, have you asked instead whether you are becoming tired of the forum?

Whatever the answer, it's worth reflecting on.  You can then better appreciate what it is you wish from the forum.  Do you want something from it?  Or do you want to contribute more to it? Or perhaps a balance between the two. Are you getting the balance right?  Or perhaps you just need to step back for a bit?  Plenty do just that and then return reinvigorated and with a clearer perspective of how the forum fits within their life.

FWIW, there are new members joining the forum every day.  Plenty go straight into the streaming audio room.  Of course, many join looking for help on a specific thing.  And personally that's one of the joys of the forum - being able to help out someone and allow them to get more from their music replay system. 

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Rich 1

I find that the forum is quite interesting. I use the daily digest and although a lot of it is irrelevant to me there is often very interesting points of view to consider. For me it's not tired, just evolving. Also when a question is asked that involves the equipment I use I like to add my thoughts and experience to the conversation and consider also other people's views and opinions, I've learnt a lot from other members of this forum. 

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by TOBYJUG

I have noticed in the few years I've been around, that the forum can take a turn for the worse whenever Naim bring out new products. You would think that the forum would be a buzz with excitement, but most likely reflecting others disgruntlement that they can't just drop into their local Naim dealer with a fat wallet.    

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by count.d

Yes it's definitely tired, no matter what reasons or excuses we look for. For me, seeing "Are we sleep-walking out of Europe" constantly in the home page of the forum, is enough to make me click to another website without going any further. Yes, if we want an interesting forum, we all need to post more.

Are we sleep-walking out of the forum?

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander

I suppose mainly it is the same questions, concerns, interests, problems, excitements that get exercised again and again, often simply because someone else comes up with it, but that is rather inevitable at least on the hifi and streaming forums given the nature of the forum and that it is the go-to place when people want help or information or just to discuss something of interest that is hifi related. Consequentially it is also probably inevitable that after having in some cases contributed N number of permutations of the same responses tailored to each new occurrence, people sooner or later may start to feel they’ve had enough of going round on what might seem like circles, even though it is usually a new varient of the theme, and that said people may drift away, either for a short or long time or permanently, resulting in gradual ongoing evolving of the active contributors.

Whether that is the forum getting tired is another matter - I would interpret tiredness as being fewer and fewer people participating, rather than evolving active participants, and fewer new topics, but I’m not sure that is the case. However topics do change: while at one time there would have been a glut of people trying to find out how to get into streaming  or fix network problems, it is perhaps inevitable that the proportion of streaming newbies will reduce as more poeple are now doing it, so the topics shift. Maybe at the moment thare is a bit of an increase in the number of people wanting advice on starting or re-starting with vinyl, perhaps a predictable consequence of it having become more fashionable.

Meanwhile Naim’s product line evolves, and that provides no end of genuinely new topics, if unfortunately recently perhaps rather more negatively than hitherto because of the problems that surrounded them.

And it is interesting in some cases to see individual members’ systems and contributions evolve, as they pursue journeys that some seem to do deliberately but others seemingly almost without realising.

As for the padded cell, well what happens there depends on the whim of members, and with Brexit being the biggest single and still ongoing thing affecting the British economy and politics its longevity is perhaps hardly surprising, but if not interested one can simply ignore it, meawhile the ‘what are you listening to’ goes from strength to strength, albeit sadly with rather limited response to the second part of its name.

my own impression: some days the forum seems a bit dull and lifeless, on other days overly excitable and lively. A bit like the human participants, perhaps? 

Now, where was I? Oh yes, Zzzzzzzzzzz....

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by ynwa250505
Richard Dane posted:

Bob, when you ask whether the forum is becoming tired, have you asked instead whether you are becoming tired of the forum?

Whatever the answer, it's worth reflecting on.  You can then better appreciate what it is you wish from the forum.  Do you want something from it?  Or do you want to contribute more to it? Or perhaps a balance between the two. Are you getting the balance right?  Or perhaps you just need to step back for a bit?  Plenty do just that and then return reinvigorated and with a clearer perspective of how the forum fits within their life.

FWIW, there are new members joining the forum every day.  Plenty go straight into the streaming audio room.  Of course, many join looking for help on a specific thing.  And personally that's one of the joys of the forum - being able to help out someone and allow them to get more from their music replay system. 

I enjoy the forum. There are a lot of members who clearly have significant technical knowledge and expertise which I cherry-pick all the time. A lot of other members provide good commonsense responses to problems/issues. I like the forums on books, new CDs, footy, jokes etc.

The only part of the forum that I think warrants removal is that never-ending, eternally boring, divisive argument about sleepwalking out of the EU. Richard - please put it to sleep a la Trump - it already occupies far too many pages and there are plenty of alternative political websites better suited to the subject. Perhaps political subjects should have a time/thread limit in the future? (Before anybody raises it, yes I did stop following that thread).

Overall, this forum is an outstanding source of Naim knowledge, experience and expertise. Also, (imho), it provides a much higher quality of input/output (from what seems to me to be a much higher quality membership) than other well known hifi sources. It is also excellently moderated. Keep up the good work everybody ...

????????????

ynwa250505 posted:

I like the forums on books, new CDs, footy, jokes etc.

The only part of the forum that I think warrants removal is that never-ending, eternally boring, divisive argument about sleepwalking out of the EU. Richard - please put it to sleep a la Trump - it already occupies far too many pages and there are plenty of alternative political websites better suited to the subject.

That piques my curiosity! How is the Brexit thread boring to you if you don’t look at it? And if other people find footy threads boring, or jokes in joke threads offensive, should those be closed down?

Provided that people treat each other with dignity and respect, and acknowledge the right to have views that are different from their own (in other words abide by forum rules), there is no harm in the threads, and for as long as Naim feels content to provide a place where people can play and share and debate sunpbjects beyond hifi/music, why one thing not another, and what difference does it make how long a thread runs for, or how big it gets (unless it hits a HoopLa size limit)? 

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Christopher_M

Bob, I've voiced this a few times privately over the years. Some wise advice I got from a forum mate was 'post more in the music room'. Worked for me.

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by GraemeH

Just wait ‘till 4.7 is released...

G

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Tabby cat

Chris,

Totally agree the music room is where its at for me here and the padded cell.Just can't believe how seriously some poster's in Hi- Fi corner prophasise about equipment and cables like some personal crusade and the rude disrespectful way they talk to fellow members.It becomes so tiring reading the same me, me hijack of the original poster threads..... they should start their own internet blog.

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by GraemeH

Groundhog day...

https://forums.naimaudio.com/to...jaded-with-the-forum

G

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Nick Lees

It’s not what it was. But then that was nearly 20 years ago, there was no moderation and members felt able to threaten violence on another member’s family.

The moderation is just fine now, but I suspect folk are a bit tired of chewing over the same stuff that isn’t instantly decisive.

Music Room: too many pictures, not enough discussion, not enough new music.

Hi-Fi Corner: this is cyclical, as the default of “add a power supply” is a constant until something new comes along. I would add that this place has a glorious history of championing non-Naim kit and I abhor any didactic rubbish as to what we should be hearing as individuals.

As for The Padded Cell, over the years you get to “know” and like  people on the ‘Net and it’s deeply disturbing for me to find their political views not just different, but repulsive and not open to persuasion or rational discussion. So, from being a regular contributor here (and you have to be an archaeologist to find me)  I abstain to avoid disappointment.

But, my watchwords are if you don’t try and make it better yourself, then you can’t moan too much.

And Bob, you do try!

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by ynwa250505
Innocent Bystander posted:
ynwa250505 posted:

I like the forums on books, new CDs, footy, jokes etc.

The only part of the forum that I think warrants removal is that never-ending, eternally boring, divisive argument about sleepwalking out of the EU. Richard - please put it to sleep a la Trump - it already occupies far too many pages and there are plenty of alternative political websites better suited to the subject.

That piques my curiosity! How is the Brexit thread boring to you if you don’t look at it? And if other people find footy threads boring, or jokes in joke threads offensive, should those be closed down?

Provided that people treat each other with dignity and respect, and acknowledge the right to have views that are different from their own (in other words abide by forum rules), there is no harm in the threads, and for as long as Naim feels content to provide a place where people can play and share and debate sunpbjects beyond hifi/music, why one thing not another, and what difference does it make how long a thread runs for, or how big it gets (unless it hits a HoopLa size limit)? 

Hi Innocent,

I’ll try to satisfy your piqued curiosity ...

Firstly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so I certainly don’t expect that everybody will be bored by what I regard as boring - and vice versa.

As far the EU thread goes, I left many moons ago because I found it had become exceedingly (IMO) boring. I think everybody in that thread knows everybody else’s position in the matter and everybody’s positions seem pretty entrenched and the responses/comments are generally predictable. On occasional re-visits to the thread, nothing seems to have changed. I think everything has been said, many times over - there is nothing is new. On that basis alone, personally, I would call a halt to proceedings, but that is Richard’s decision and I defer to his judgement.

Regarding size, the thread is now gargantuan and I think the subject matter has had a very fair crack of the whip.

Hope that helps - nuff said ...

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Allan Milne

I certainly don't post as I used to a couple of years ago but then I was excited with new equipment and the prospect of more upgrades.

Now I am kinda resigned to not replacing anything until it breaks since prices are just too crazy for my middle-class retired status so have little to contribute except on my current equipment.

However I still read the forum quite often on threads describing the boxes I still dream about and desperately try to find some reason why what I have is somehow deficient … still trying

I would like to do more in the music room but it is still full of graphics referring to the music and I cannot read the graphics (I use a screenreader)  so most of the posts are, to me, empty.

Padded cell just reflects its name … crazy … I'd rather keep my opinions for a face-to-face discussion with none of the entrenched positions I see when I do very occasionally dip into it.

... but on the whole, the forum is a valuable asset and at least a couple of items a week are worth reading … more than you can say about a lot of TV news and newspapers … so keep on posting.

Allan

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Sloop John B
GraemeH posted:

Ah, I do miss George, you  see him an odd time in the other plaice but nothing like as frequent as here. 

.sjb

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Clive B

I've been a member on here since August 2000 and still find it fun and informative. I've been helped out several times when I've had streaming issues (most of which have been down to metadata errors), but it is the music room that I find most interesting. Often, when I can't decide what to play, a flick through the 'What are you listening to' thread usually gives me an idea of style or direction, if nothing else.

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Nick Lees
Clive B posted:

I've been a member on here since August 2000 and still find it fun and informative. I've been helped out several times when I've had streaming issues (most of which have been down to metadata errors), but it is the music room that I find most interesting. Often, when I can't decide what to play, a flick through the 'What are you listening to' thread usually gives me an idea of style or direction, if nothing else.

You’re right, Streaming Audio is a fantastic resource - the least partisan and the most helpful in what is the new frontier for many. There are several utterly outstanding contributors there.

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by MDS

Apart from the 'Streaming' thread, the content of which mostly goes way over my head, I enjoy most parts of the forum. But, like CliveB, the 'What are you listening to...' I've found most valuable, both a prompt and especially through which to discover new artists. Indeed, if the forum consisted only of that thread I would still regard it as very worthwhile.   

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by MDS

On another point, I sure that Hoopla as the service provider has loads of stats on new joiners, new topics, views, volume of contributions and so on.  So if the forum were becoming 'tired', in the sense of falling participation, I'm sure the management information that our moderator sees would reveal it.  On that score I seem to recall Richard noting that it is as busy as ever. 

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Bob the Builder

Perhaps Richard is right and I'm becoming tired with some sections of the forum rather than the forum becoming tired  I do still enjoy the music room and will maybe just stick to that. 

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Tabby cat
Sloop John B posted:
GraemeH posted:

Ah, I do miss George, you  see him an odd time in the other plaice but nothing like as frequent as here. 

.sjb

SJB,

I really miss him too.His enthusiasm for his passions in life and his knowledge of classical music being a musician himself made for delightful reading a true gentleman.I remember a Statement thread with lots of pictures of Statement and he posted pics of his ElS 57 and a Quad 2 mono block was brilliant. It still makes me smile thinking about it.

George if you dip in here and read this thread - Miss you bro.

Hear hear re George.  I would never be convinced that monomwas better, but I loved reading his contributoons. Sadly he was abused a bit by some on the forum, and I got the impression that was the driver for his departure.

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Don Atkinson
count.d posted:

Yes it's definitely tired, no matter what reasons or excuses we look for. For me, seeing "Are we sleep-walking out of Europe" constantly in the home page of the forum, is enough to make me click to another website without going any further. Yes, if we want an interesting forum, we all need to post more.

Are we sleep-walking out of the forum?

For a change of scenery, I just click on Bert’s ND555 topic in the HiFi forum or his Munich topic in the same forum.

I rather expect and hope we’ll see a lot more ND555 threads over the next year or two...........