Wilhelm Furtwangler and Beethoven’s #7 & #8

Posted by: Sounsfaber on 17 May 2018

Hi, Huge gave an excellent description of Beethoven’s #7 a couple of weeks ago which  motivated me to get the CD in. Who else but Furtwangler for the job. However because of the age, it’s a mono recording, I guess it’s from reel to reel. The CD is out of Japan legendary Performance/ Memorial edition Vienna Philharmonic orchestra. My question is...as far as Furtwangler, is there a remastered stereo version of Beethovens #7 and #8. Or because of the era it is what it is. I can get great remastered blues from the 50’s after all. Looking at CD.

thanks  in advance .

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Morton

Presto Classical have a number of options for a Furtwangler Beethoven 7th, but I would expect that they will all be in mono, as recorded.

https://www.prestoclassical.co...twangler+Beethoven+7

Personally, as a first choice, I would prefer a modern recording which would give a closer approximation to what you would actually hear in a live concert.

Presto Classical have a complete Beethoven symphony cycle from Riccardo Chailly at a bargain price.

Posted on: 18 May 2018 by Sounsfaber

Thank you very much I will look into it.

Posted on: 18 May 2018 by Consciousmess

Surely the best version would be one conducted by Beethoven himself?

Posted on: 18 May 2018 by Morton

It would certainly be worth a lot of money if you could find a copy????

Posted on: 18 May 2018 by Bert Schurink

Listen to Manfred Honeck, he has done a version with the Pittsburg, it’s interesting and definitely audiophile ahead of the old recording, which of course isn’t always the case with new recordings.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Morton

Someone mentioned the famous Carlos Kleiber recording of the Beethoven 5th & 7th, but the post seems to have disappeared. 

It is probably still my first choice for the 5th, and is a fine 7th.

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Michael_B.

Klemperer does a fantastic 7th. I also like Boult and Bohm's takes.

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Eoink

If we're offering alternative takes, my favourite is the Harnoncourt with the COE.

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by Wugged Woy

I am a long way away from being a Karajan fan, but his recordings of both the 5 and (especially) 7th symphonies (1962/3 recordings) are really tremendous. To my cloth ears, they walk all over the over-rated cult recording by Carlos Kleiber.

Posted on: 24 May 2018 by EJS

No stereo recordings from Fürtwangler at all I think, studio or live...

I'm not sure Harnoncourt, Kleiber or Karajan would be satisfying alternatives if you're after Fürt's approach. Barbirolli perhaps? His Eroica is one of the all time phonographic greats.

Cheers,

EJ