How to add pictures from an iPad? ...

Posted by: ynwa250505 on 17 May 2018

I’ve searched the Forums and can’t find the answer  ... help ...

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander

I have tried many times, and though occasionally worked, mostly failed as a result I’ve given up, unless it is absolutely the only way convey what I want, and then I put it on Imgur and post a link.

There clearly must be a way, as others do it successfully - though I don’t know if from an iPad. 

I really don’t understand why it can’t simply allow copy and paste...

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by joerand
Innocent Bystander posted:

Because you have to insert the direct/permanent link of the image you want to show into the forum's host software using the "insert/edit image" function. The copy and paste function on your iPad is a temporary/resident link to the image. That's my layman's understanding, but I've successfully posted pics using my wife's iPad in the past. You're not copying and pasting the image you see on your device, you're copying and pasting the link to the image.

Posted on: 17 May 2018 by ynwa250505

Hi joerand,

The images I want to post are located in the iPad’s photo albums, but I can’t locate their links anywhere. How did you access the image link on the iPad?

All - Does anybody use an alternative method to achieve this objective?

rgds

You need an external link, something posted long-term on the web. Amazon is a good source for album covers; their links stay active for years. To post your own images you'll need to upload them to a hosting service, then copy those links from there via this forum's "insert/edit image" button above, which looks like the negative image of this:

joerand posted:
Innocent Bystander posted:

Because you have to insert the direct/permanent link of the image you want to show into the forum's host software using the "insert/edit image" function. The copy and paste function on your iPad is a temporary/resident link to the image. That's my layman's understanding, but I've successfully posted pics using my wife's iPad in the past. You're not copying and pasting the image you see on your device, you're copying and pasting the link to the image.

Yes, I know. the problem is with wanting to post my own images, held on a non-public computer (iPad). So I posted to Imgur, and copied that URL to the HoopLa insert image location as instructed. It worked in about 2 of maybe 20 times I wanted to insert a pic, each time having multiple attempts. 

My mention of pasting direct was a wish, born out of frustration.

imgur offers a number of link options. Be sure to use the "direct link". Hope this works for you, it works for me.

I tried various approaches on each occasion, every option I could see in both Imgur and HoopLa. If there is a clearly visible ‘direct link’ option I would likely have tried it many times already, however next time I think of posting I’ll give it one more go looking specifically for that option.

Posted on: 18 May 2018 by joerand

Once you've copied your direct link, open the "insert/edit image" function here and paste it into the "source" box. Click "Ok" and you should see the image immediately in your reply box. You can then adjust the image size. I'm tapped out for suggestions beyond that. Otherwise, could well be up to browser software vagaries. Peace out!

Posted on: 18 May 2018 by nickpeacock

I use Imgur (from an iPhone but I think it will be the same).

1. Set up an Imgur account (it’s free). Download the Imgur app.

2. From your Imgur app, upload a pic from your iPad to your Imgur account. I use the ‘hidden’ option, rather than ‘public’.

3. Once uploaded, go to your Imgur account where all your uploaded pics are displayed. Select the one you want by pressing continuously down on it until a load of options come up. Select ‘copy link’. (This gives you the direct link, ending .jpg)

4. On the Naim Forum, select the insert pic icon.

5. Now paste the link which you have just copied from the Imgur site. As above, the link should end .jpg - if it doesn’t, you haven’t copied a direct link and it won’t work. Then select ‘ok’.

6. It should display your pic on the Forum. NB - don’t delete the pic from Imgur, as the Forum will cease displaying your pic!

Posted on: 18 May 2018 by ynwa250505

All,

Thanks for that information and the various suggestions - it is much appreciated and I will proceed as suggested.

However, this should be a much simpler and transparent function than it currently is. Perhaps the powers that be (Richard?) can discuss the matter with Hoop.La with aim of seeking some improvements in this area?

rgds

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by ynwa250505
nickpeacock posted:

2. From your Imgur app, upload a pic from your iPad to your Imgur account. I use the ‘hidden’ option, rather than ‘public’.

3. Once uploaded, go to your Imgur account where all your uploaded pics are displayed. Select the one you want by pressing continuously down on it until a load of options come up. Select ‘copy link’. (This gives you the direct link, ending .jpg)

5. Now paste the link which you have just copied from the Imgur site. As above, the link should end .jpg - if it doesn’t, you haven’t copied a direct link and it won’t work. Then select ‘ok’.

6. It should display your pic on the Forum. NB - don’t delete the pic from Imgur, as the Forum will cease displaying your pic!

hi Nick (et al),

If I’ve tried this once, I must have tried a thousand times now ...

Steps 1-3 seem to be working as suggested, except that Imgur does not append the filename extension “jpg”. I have added that manually in the Naim forum, to no effect. I have tried various combinations of options in both Imgur and Naim, again to no effect. Whatever I do, after using the “insert pic” icon, in the Naim forum, I only ever get a small square white box inserted into the reply area.

I am now simply repeating things that I know don’t work just in case something different happens - but nothing is ...

Clearly other members are managing to post pics so this is highly frustrating ...

If anybody has any further advice, or alternative routes, I am all ears!

rgds

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by hungryhalibut

When you choose ‘copy link’ in Imgur, you will get an address ending in png, not jpg. 

You post into the forum by pasting the link into the source box that pops up when you choose the little mountain, like this...

HH,

Thanks for that - I went to try your suggestion and (for some obscure reason) Imgur produced a filename ending “jpg” which has successfully worked in the Naim Forum! I have no explanation for this ...

Check the DVDs ????

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander

When I try, Imgur gives a link that does not include any extension (jpg or png), though maybe that depends on the original file formay?

From an iPad, copying from images on the iPad, I see  a box with an address in it with a ‘copy’ button next to it. Pressing the button and pasting gives https://imgur.com/a/ARqbiDV . Just a little below that is a selection  ‘</> embed post’, which has exactly the same result. Or I can copy the URL, again exactly the same. I see no selection ‘direct link’. My attempt to paste in the thread has been as NP and HH described above, apart from the link it having no extension. Trying below, and I will do 3 times, first as it comes, second adding .jpg and third adding .png:

None of those put in anything for image size. I am therefore trying one typing something arbitrary into the size box (640 x480). Now to see what shows

Only empty boxes as far as I can see. Now one thing here, I have not registered with Imgur - however, the I do successfully upload to it, as copying the link from that post into a browser shows, as it finds the image. Also, my uploading has been from a browser opening Imgur, not downoading their app - but again, success of the upload to Imgur is confirmed.

Even more oddly, on I think two occasions after several attempts, so many that I lost track of what I tried, it has worked. But on maybe 20 or so others no such luck.

maybe I’ll try and see if the app does anything different.

The app wants me to register, but I don’t particularly want to as I prefer to minimise my personal data on the internet, however it has allowed me to upload an image. Picking ‘share’ then ‘copy link’ gives me this: https://imgur.com/a/41vbLGp , which again posted into a browser finds the image, so for my last try I am going to try the insert image process with that address (no added extensions:

These absent images sum up the frustration: they use links on public websites, still don’t appear, so I have no way to post a picture here.

And the following is just a test of the insert image process, going to Naim website ND555 page, clicking and selecting ‘copy image URL’ of the picture of the ND555, gives: https://www.naimaudio.com/catalog-product/nd-555 (also has no .jpg or .png etc extension). Now select the ‘mountains’ icon, and paste the link where it says source.

Nothing. 

One final try: this time opening the image so it appears full screen, and copying the full URL from the browser bar: https://www.naimaudio.com/site...%20%28600x400%29.jpg - this time there is an image extension (.jpg) and the image size appears in the upload image dialog box

And it worked! 

So, it has to be a full image address, taken from the browser when it is showing just the image, and not some shortform as given when selecting ‘copy  image URL’ after simply clicking on the image as part of a page.

And I have no idea how that helps with displaying images of my own from my iPad.

Well, it appeared to work, unlike all the others it showed an image of the ND555 before I posted, but now after posting it is not visible, just an empty outline 

this has been another frustrating waste of time. I think I shall stick to not bothering trying to post images.

Innocent,

I admire your persistence. I have no idea why my attempts did eventually succeed. I plan to try again shortly - that should be interesting.

The process should be simpler and more reliable though ...

rgds

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by docmark

I have an iMac.  When I want to upload a photo, I select View Image, which opens it in a separate window.  I Copy the address of that window, click on the Insert/edit image box in the Naim App, and Paste the address into the Source box.  That's it, and it seems to work every time.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by docmark

Sorry - that works on my iMac.  I haven't tried it on my iPad, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Differences may well arise from the fact that the operating systems are different - iOS (a mobile-specific OS on the iPad) vs whatever you are operating on your iMac? Just a suggestion ...

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by hungryhalibut

On the iPad, get the picture showing in Imgur. Press on the picture and a screen with various options comes up. Choose ‘copy link’ and paste it into the box that comes up in the Forum screen I posted a picture of earlier. 

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by ChrisSU
ynwa250505 posted:
nickpeacock posted:

hi Nick (et al),

If I’ve tried this once, I must have tried a thousand times now ...

Steps 1-3 seem to be working as suggested, except that Imgur does not append the filename extension “jpg”. I have added that manually in the Naim forum, to no effect. I have tried various combinations of options in both Imgur and Naim, again to no effect. Whatever I do, after using the “insert pic” icon, in the Naim forum, I only ever get a small square white box inserted into the reply area.

I am now simply repeating things that I know don’t work just in case something different happens - but nothing is ...

Clearly other members are managing to post pics so this is highly frustrating ...

If anybody has any further advice, or alternative routes, I am all ears!

Regarding step 3 of Nick's instructions, this only works in iOS for me if I do the following:

In Imgur, tap on the thumbnail image to open it in full screen. Then tap on the full screen image, and that will load in a new window. Tap the icon at the bottom of the screen, and select 'Copy Link' from there. This seems to give you a link that can be pasted into a forum post - selecting the link from elsewhere in the Imgur app doesn't.

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander

That was one of the things I did try last night. However, giving it one more try, having installed the app last night, today when I open Imgur in Safari and select upload, it jumps into the app - and with an option to continue without registering. Selecting that and choosing pic all goes exactly as previously. Once uploaded, pressing on the image for a few moments brings up the dialog HH showed (again exactly as last night doing in the browser), but this time when I copy link and past into the forum upload box it does have an extension (jpg), and the picture is visible here below.

If this does show after I have posted this, then success!!!

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Wow, it worked!!!

Until I have succeeded a few times on separate occasions it is hard to be absolutely certain, but distilling the above it seems that to be sure it will work you must install the Imgur app. You don’t need to register even though opening the app seems to require it - instead close the app, open imgur in Safari and select upload image, which takes you into the app but with an option of continuing without registering, then upload the image into Imgur (straightforward). No need to complete anything else like caption, just complete the upload. Once completed, press on the image in Imgur still showing on your screen, then select ‘copy link’. Back in the forum posting dialog slelect the ‘mountains’ icon, paste into rhe source box and OK - and that hopefully is done!

Many thanks particularly to NP and HH for contributions, enabling me to find the missing link, as it were.

YNWA, please try and see if that works for you. If it does, It would usefully confirm.