Brain Burn-in?

Posted by: GraemeH on 19 May 2018

Since updating to 4.6 I’ve noticed sonic changes over the past few weeks as I’ve made my way through familiar material. The sound signature is now more familiar...I’m used to it, and I like it. There was a while where very familiar albums sounded differently and a period of recalibration required.

Surely, as no hardware is involved in these updates, this is brain burn-in? But does it also evidence much of what we fret over as equipment burn-in is infact brain burn-in?.

G

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by TOBYJUG

Could be that the moon is now waxing out from its new situation. Since recently the moon is very closer than usual, so its influences could be more felt than usual. 

I suggest you smear some full fat butter behind your ears before listening, as this should neutralise cosmic geometries.

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Penarth Blues
TOBYJUG posted:

Could be that the moon is now waxing out from its new situation. Since recently the moon is very closer than usual, so its influences could be more felt than usual. 

I suggest you smear some full fat butter behind your ears before listening, as this should neutralise cosmic geometries.

Full fat you say? If I put it IN my ears might this help tame the excruciating treble that the 4.6 upgrade has brought to my world?

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by GraemeH

Just to be clearer - I’m not suggesting 4.6 requires ‘burn-in’. Simply the change in presentation means you hear very familiar music differently at a first listen and that after a few weeks one becomes accustomed...or is cable (for example) burn-in really real if we accept the former observation?

G

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by kevin J Carden
GraemeH posted:

Just to be clearer - I’m not suggesting 4.6 requires ‘burn-in’. Simply the change in presentation means you hear very familiar music differently at a first listen and that after a few weeks one becomes accustomed...or is cable (for example) burn-in really real if we accept the former observation?

G

It’s a good question Graeme. I reckon brain acceptance is definitely a factor with equipment burn in. I suspect with software it’s the whole explanation. I think I’m struggling very badly with 4.6 and my brain won’t play ball...

Posted on: 19 May 2018 by Mercky
GraemeH posted:

Since updating to 4.6 I’ve noticed sonic changes over the past few weeks as I’ve made my way through familiar material. The sound signature is now more familiar...I’m used to it, and I like it. There was a while where very familiar albums sounded differently and a period of recalibration required.

Surely, as no hardware is involved in these updates, this is brain burn-in? But does it also evidence much of what we fret over as equipment burn-in is infact brain burn-in?.

G

Completely agree, had a similar experience with 2.6 on the new uniti range but to be fair I think ther was some external factors at play too but I do think you’re right and it also explains some of the voodoo that goes on with burning in cables etc