Pink Floyd Relics

Posted by: fathings cat on 20 May 2018

This is definitely worth picking up (part of the latest rerelease campaign). Sounds fantastic.

Gary

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by wenger2015

Have the original on vinyl, interesting how it would compare with the latest release 

Posted on: 20 May 2018 by Kevin-W

It's fine, perhaps not quite as good as the '76 Japanese version, or the original '71 Starline. The two singles definitely sound better to my ears.

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by Numptyhead

I remember when you could buy a copy of Relics and Gong's Camembert Electrique on vinyl and get change from £3. Those were the days my friends etc etc

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by lutyens
Numptyhead posted:

I remember when you could buy a copy of Relics and Gong's Camembert Electrique on vinyl and get change from £3. Those were the days my friends etc etc

to go with those velvet loons you bought from the back of the Melody Maker.......

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by AndyP19
lutyens posted:
Numptyhead posted:

to go with those velvet loons you bought from the back of the Melody Maker.......

Include King Crimson's Earthbound and ELP's Pictures and you could have bought the lot for not more than a fiver. They certainly were the days...... 

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Cdb
Kevin-W posted:

It's fine, perhaps not quite as good as the '76 Japanese version, or the original '71 Starline. The two singles definitely sound better to my ears.

The two singles are in mono as opposed to reprocessed stereo on the original. I think the new version is very good, but I no longer have my old Starline issue for comparison. Ah nostalgia!

clive

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Innocent Bystander
AndyP19 posted:
lutyens posted:
Numptyhead posted:

Include King Crimson's Earthbound and ELP's Pictures and you could have bought the lot for not more than a fiver. They certainly were the days...... 

Earthbound had to be the worst quality live recording it was ever my misfortune to buy, and not worth any cost in my view.

A particular batgain I recall a decade or so later was U2’s under a blood red sky, which I think  was only sometimg like half the price of other LPs when first released.

As for Relics, it didn’t appeal to me as I saw it as a ‘sampler’, having the preceding albums (and ‘See Emily Play’ on single.

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by yeti42

If I remember correctly I could get a pint for about a quater of the price of Relics when I bought it in 76 as my first album, which is also the year I started drinking (my dinner money for a day would get me half a pint of Courage mild in the public bar of the Eclipse). The prices have more or less kept pace. My first copy of Relics was worn out in 4 years on an SP25 with a ceramic cartridge and a built in amp, I’ve not had a copy in 38 years, I’m rather enjoying hearing it again despite having all the other Floyd albums. See Emily Play has been my earworm for several days now.