Stereophile late arrival

Posted by: Mulberry on 21 May 2018

Hi,

I’m a long time subscriber to the US magazine Stereophile. While it always took some time for the issues to arrive over here in Germany, it seems like they are now later than ever. The last few years, the issues arrived around the same time the articles were published on their website. Not really perfect, but nothing I couldn’t ignore.

This month the May issue arrived only this Friday, a little more than a week after the June issue was announced online.

Any other subscribers from Europe around here? When do/did you get your magazines?

Posted on: 21 May 2018 by French Rooster
Mulberry posted:

Hi,

I’m a long time subscriber to the US magazine Stereophile. While it always took some time for the issues to arrive over here in Germany, it seems like they are now later than ever. The last few years, the issues arrived around the same time the articles were published on their website. Not really perfect, but nothing I couldn’t ignore.

This month the May issue arrived only this Friday, a little more than a week after the June issue was announced online.

Any other subscribers from Europe around here? When do/did you get your magazines?

i have stereophile on my ipad, arrived 5 days before now, via the zinio app on appstore.  I live in the center of the World, France 

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Ardbeg10y
French Rooster posted:
Mulberry posted:

I live in the center of the World, France 

Of topic alert: I was studying Rameau on harpsichord and I asked my Italian teacher how to interpret it. He remained silent for some time and suddenly said reluctantly: only a Frenchman can play this right.

I think it was one of the most important lessons in culture I got.

Find myself on French real estate sites more and more.

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by T38.45

They re-organized....Michael and Dana had to leave, Rafe is now @audiostream...

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Massimo Bertola
Ardbeg10y posted:

He remained silent for some time and suddenly said reluctantly: only a Frenchman can play this right.

So no French music for Aldo Ciccolini, no Austrian music for Benedetti Michelangeli, no Mozart for Clara Haskil, no Bach for Glenn Gould, nothing at all for Yuja Wang, no Scarlatti for Horowitz, no Chopin for Arthur Lima Moreira, no Ravel for Martha Argerich and poor Sergiu Celibidache with only George Enescu in repertoire...

Ah, if only musicians never spoke about music...

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by Mulberry

Thanks for your input so far. Perhaps I should have said clearly that it’s about the print version.

[@mention:56335183628232089]: how does the electronic version work? Do you get a pdf or something similar as download or is it strictly online?

[@mention:1566878603990528]: I know about Michael Lavorgna and think he is very hard to replace. Who’s Dana? Someone from the Headphone site or is Jana Dagdagan gone as well?

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by French Rooster
Mulberry posted:

Thanks for your input so far. Perhaps I should have said clearly that it’s about the print version.

[@mention:56335183628232089]: how does the electronic version work? Do you get a pdf or something similar as download or is it strictly online?

[@mention:1566878603990528]: I know about Michael Lavorgna and think he is very hard to replace. Who’s Dana? Someone from the Headphone site or is Jana Dagdagan gone as well?

Hey Mulberry, the electronic, digital version is a sort of pdf, but with easy searching the pages...and it is a lot less expensive too.   First you must download Zinio on appstore, then stereophile or other magazines.   But i have understood you were talking about paper version.

Posted on: 22 May 2018 by T38.45

Jana Dagdana left, you‘re right. Michael was great, loved his writing and his music taste ( bought some records he recommended...)

Posted on: 26 May 2018 by Mike Hughes

I read it via Readly on an iPad Pro and it’s just lovely. Downloads quietly in the background overnight and is there waiting for me.

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by u77033103172058601

Latest copy (print version) arrived last week. I normally get the copy for month 'n' at the end of month 'n-2' if I remember correctly.

Has Michael Fremer left? One of the few reasons I read (present and past tense) Stereophile. And possibly Art Dudley. Sam Tellig was always interesting as well, if you ignored his blatant plugs for MF equipment.

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by French Rooster
Nick from Suffolk posted:

Latest copy (print version) arrived last week. I normally get the copy for month 'n' at the end of month 'n-2' if I remember correctly.

Has Michael Fremer left? One of the few reasons I read (present and past tense) Stereophile. And possibly Art Dudley. Sam Tellig was always interesting as well, if you ignored his blatant plugs for MF equipment.

michael fremer is still active on stereophile.  3 reviews from him in the latest issue.

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by Haim Ronen

In the old days an issue of Stereophile used to be almost as thick as a phone book. Today it is more like a sleek Lean Cuisine. It is probably me, changing while getting younger, going through it now real fast and skipping uninteresting articles while before I gobble every word of the HI Fi bible. I used to get mad when I saw issues on news stands before I had received mine in the mail but today it is probably worst, everyone getting the digital version on their phones so be it.

Haim Ronen posted:

In the old days an issue of Stereophile used to be almost as thick as a phone book. Today it is more like a sleek Lean Cuisine. It is probably me, changing while getting younger, going through it now real fast and skipping uninteresting articles while before I gobble every word of the HI Fi bible. I used to get mad when I saw issues on news stands before I had received mine in the mail but today it is probably worst, everyone getting the digital version on their phones so be it.

on ipad it is very enjoyable.....on phones , too little for my eyes

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by Tabby cat

Don't subscribe but do dip into it on their website.This is great its a visit to Micheal Fremers home.Love it at the start when he says "Welcome to the clutter,the mess" .Also he has a awesome record collection.Well worth watching an absolute industry Legend who tell's it as he see's it.

i like this guy and his reviews. Always a pleasure to read, even with my french -english understanding.   The contrary : Srayan Eben on 6 moons. Difficult to read, not easy language, and miniscul characters.  Not a pleasure at all.

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by Mulberry

I still remember the issues from the late nineties, they were approximately twice as thick as the current ones. On the other hand, the was (obviously) no additional content like the videos on the four associated websites.

There is still enough, sometimes extremely, well written content in the print issue. Among the writers Art Dudley is my favorite by a mile. The sadly departed Michael Lavorgna was a good one, as are Brian Damkroger, Ken Micallef and John Atkinson himself. Thomas Conrad  and his love for Italian jazz have added several pieces of fine music to my collection.

I didn’t care for the last few years of Sam Telligs writing, basically a recycling of his earlier stuff with faux provocations sprinkled inside. 

[@mention:1566878603862145]: was that the May or June issue?

Posted on: 28 May 2018 by u77033103172058601

I read 'Michael' earlier and thought 'Fremer'. Never cared for Lavorgna, so no great loss.

June issue I think, Mulberry. Have to say 'I think' because I think I lent my copy to someone. The use of 'I think' is merely a vague description of a mental process that probably does not apply to me.

I used to really enjoy reading "The Audiophile's wife" but that column disappeared a very long time ago.

What I like about Art Dudley and Michael Lavorgna is their approach to things and less the gear and in ML’s case music. Michael Fremer seems to self-important these days, but these are just my thoughts and impressions. You are free to think otherwise, which I’m quite sure you do, Nick 

Mulberry posted:

I still remember the issues from the late nineties, they were approximately twice as thick as the current ones. On the other hand, the was (obviously) no additional content like the videos on the four associated websites.

There is still enough, sometimes extremely, well written content in the print issue. Among the writers Art Dudley is my favorite by a mile. The sadly departed Michael Lavorgna was a good one, as are Brian Damkroger, Ken Micallef and John Atkinson himself. Thomas Conrad  and his love for Italian jazz have added several pieces of fine music to my collection.

I didn’t care for the last few years of Sam Telligs writing, basically a recycling of his earlier stuff with faux provocations sprinkled inside. 

[@mention:1566878603862145]: was that the May or June issue?

Do you know the reason of Michael Lavorgna departure ?    no more on audiostream....?

I really don’t know why or even if he left on his own. If he resurfaces at some other place, he might tell his side of the story. The recent takeover has been mentioned as a possible reason, but as I said at the beginning: I really don’t know.

Posted on: 29 May 2018 by Jeff Anderson
Mulberry posted:

I really don’t know why or even if he left on his own. If he resurfaces at some other place, he might tell his side of the story. The recent takeover has been mentioned as a possible reason, but as I said at the beginning: I really don’t know.

What recent takeover by whom ?  Don't recall knowing about this.

For, along with Atkinson and Dudley, the real keeper is Richard Lehnert, the copy editor and infrequent music review contributor.  Huge Keith Jarrett  and classical fan and anything he has recommended that I have tried has been wonderful.  I have been reading Stereophile since JGH (founder), digest-size print only, approximately 1975.

Posted on: 29 May 2018 by Mulberry

The British company AVTech Media purchased Stereophile in March 2018. Take a look at this:

https://www.stereophile.com/co...ten-publishing-media (I hope a link is in compliance with the forum rules).

Otherwise please go to the news section of the stereophile website.

Posted on: 29 May 2018 by Jeff Anderson
Mulberry posted:

The British company AVTech Media purchased Stereophile in March 2018. Take a look at this:

https://www.stereophile.com/co...ten-publishing-media (I hope a link is in compliance with the forum rules).

Otherwise please go to the news section of the stereophile website.

Thank you

Posted on: 29 May 2018 by Mulberry

Hi Jeff,

glad I could help!