Richie Havens "1983" album now on CD.

Posted by: rn on 22 May 2018

Not seen it before but it is now on CD after a long time. I don't think its been available before other than on vinyl. I think it's one of his best.

Posted on: 29 May 2018 by AndyP19

RN your post is worth at least one reply given this is a classic album, despite being mostly covers - full title 'Richard P. Havens, 1983' , released in 1969.

I have the Raven CD issue released a few years ago with a couple of bonus tracks.

Lucky to have seen Richie from a distance of a few feet when he appeared in Folkestone back in 1976, which for me at the time was light years away from his opening performance at Woodstock. I remember he wore a hole right the way through his acoustic guitar with his thumb nail and gave such a performance that his roadie had to carry him off stage. 

Posted on: 30 May 2018 by ChrisG

Classic album indeed!

I still have my vinyl copy, and the Raven CD. Saw him at IOW festival in 69, what a line up that was, Pentangle, RH, Tom Paxton (who went down incredibly well) The Band and Dylan. also caught Richie at The Royal Albert Hall in I think 1970 or thereabouts and finally a few  years before he passed at Milton Keynes, The Stables, excellent gig with a young Devon Sproule opening.

Time for a Richie revival methinks!

Chris

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by mudwolf

I've always liked his work, his covers especially Here Comes the Son makes me happy to have heard him.  I saw him a number of times only on TV, and one well used guitar with a lot of miles on it.