Dolby Atmos Ceiling Speakers

Posted by: Andrewh on 31 May 2018

In a few weeks time I have builders coming to do some alterations in my living room where my home cinema lives. They're removing an archway and doing some replastering so I thought while they're about it I should grab the opportunity to install 4 ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos.

My current system is 5.1; PMC Twenty 23 main front L & R, PMC Twenty C centre and PMC Twenty 21 for rear surrounds. My AVR is the Denon AVR-X7200WA and 4K bluray player is the Panasonic DMP-UB900EB providing Dolby Atmos/DTS:X sound. The room is about 15' (4.6m) long by 11' (3.4m) wide, ceiling height is about 8' (2.5m). There is a big void above the ceiling (10" or so) so speaker depth shouldn't be a problem.

So, my question is, to take this to a 5.1.4 system, what speakers would be appropriate? Given the opportunistic nature of this project budget is tight; I had thought £1,000 but that would need to include (I just realised!) 60 meters of speaker cable which would only leave £600 for the speakers which may be unrealistic so I might need to stretch it a bit, so say £800 for 4 speakers which need to be nice and discreet (as well as discrete)!

I have looked at B&W and KEF ceiling speakers and both have options in my price range but reviews are a bit scarce and a demo would be difficult so, to avoid buying totally blind, I thought I would ask the kind people here!

Thanks in anticipation...

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by SamS

I use B&W CCM663 Ceiling Speakers in our kitchen as a stereo pair and I can't fault them at all. They wold probably be overkill for Atmos ceiling placement, and over budget anyway. I obviously can't say for certain but I would have thought that the B&Ws within your price range would be fine for your purpose, as would the KEFs, as they are both quality speakers.  A dealers input might be helpful here.

One thing to keep in mind with ceiling speakers is the bleed to the floor above.   If there are bedrooms above your living room (likely) and you want to blast your Dolby Atmos late at night, you might be in for a bit of domestic disharmony.  This can be attenuated to some degree with domes or fireproof hoods but some, if not most, sound will still travel and annoy those upstairs.

Sounds like a fun set-up.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Andrewh

Thanks for your interesting response. I was looking at the model below the CCM663, the CCM664 (which fits the budget) so what you say makes me think that may well be an option. You're quite right, a chat with a dealer is definitely on my to do list!

You are quite right about the sound attenuation, too; the room in question is below the master bedroom, so any listening after Mrs H has gone to bed is already strictly headphones only so this won't really change that!

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Consciousmess

You’re too charitable Andrew H.!

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by tonym

Hi Andrew,

I've also got a Denon AVR-X7200WA, which I use for my 7.1.4 Atmos system. The front L & R goes to my main Naim system, & I use an elderly (but rather good) NAP150 to power one set of ceiling speakers. I originally bought four Monitor Audio speakers (can't remember which ones) from Peter Tyson, planning to cut the holes in the ceiling, install the speakers, and tidy away whilst SWMBO was out, but, alas, when I came to fit them I discovered they were too deep to fit. So I had to do some explaining...

Peter Tyson swapped them for a set of the KEF Ci160QRs, which are excellent and fit almost flush with the ceiling, which is painted white, so with the speaker's white grilles they blend in superbly.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the quality side of things, as long as they're from a reputable manufacturer then for Atmos use you really won't be disappointed. Neither do you need expensive speaker cable.  I'm sure you've used the Audyssey sound calibration setup already, but it really is worthwhile to spend plenty of time optimising, tedious though it can be. Atmos really is worthwhile - the new 4K copy of The Matrix is quite something, both in picture and especially in sound quality. 

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Andrewh

Thanks, Tonym, I was hoping that you would respond!

I had a really good chat with a local dealer yesterday and am leaning towards the Q Install Qi65C for the speakers and shall go and have a listen to them at the weekend. They also agreed with your view on the speaker cables which will cost a lot less than I had previously thought - about £1.50/m compared to the £6/m that I'd expected. It's great to hear that you concur with their views.

Thanks also for recommending The Matrix; it's one of my wife's favourites so it will be an excellent way to demonstrate the new setup once it is ready! I shall be sure to get a copy!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Posted on: 17 June 2018 by Sebinho9

Thanks Andrew and Tony- I’m in a similar situation having just moved so will keep an eye on how you get on. The only kit I have so far though is the X3300W. No Naim yet but I’m considering the Atom to drive my L and R speakers, with some Muso QBs dotted around the house.

the dream is to build a separates collection but... baby steps.