Paul Weller at 60

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 31 May 2018

Paul Weller turned 60 this week and has released a new download single called Aspects free at paulweller.com or to stream on the usual sites taken I believe from a new record out in September.

Not everyones cup of tea I know but for over 40 years has written some great music IMO, he has always been around in my head and has brought me much pleasure so I'll always give him a plug and wish him a very happy birthday.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by thebigfredc

Thought about him at the weekend as we were punting in Cambridge.

Posted on: 31 May 2018 by Massimo Bertola

Funny, I thought about when I was once punting in Oxford, while on a crowded wagon of the Metro in Milano. But nothing to do with Paul Weller, sorry.

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by AndyP19

Glad to see Weller is still going strong at 60 (which is no age at all today) given that at the time of the first Paul Weller album back in 1992 (a real gem) he was almost forgotten, then came an appearance on Jools Holland that just knocked my socks off - still amazed at this performance.

Great band as well with Steve White - a great drummer, Yolanda Charles on Bass and Helen Turner on keys just incredible. 

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by thebigfredc
thebigfredc posted:

Thought about him at the weekend as we were punting in Cambridge.

In relation to the Style Council's famously homo erotic  Long Hot Summer video  which was shot on the River Cam and featured PW. I thought it was obvious.

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

The Style Council were a very underrated band IMO I was listening to the Curtis Mayfield mixed ' Fairy Tales' the other night from The Cost of Loving LP and it still sounds so good.  To break up The Jam the most successful band in the country at that time and release first the mini LP Introducing The Style Council and then the truly excellent Cafe Blue was a very brave career move.    

ANDYP19 Yes I remember that Jools Holland appearance too and also saw him a couple of times the year before the release of that first solo LP in 1992 and so had heard snatches of it played live but still remember playing it for the first time and to follow it with Wild Wood.  

He has lost me a couple of times over the years and I know he isn't well regarded on this and other Audio sites but for me he is one of the best song writers of his generation and I'm very much looking forward to this new acoustic based record.

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

ps.

If you want to see a live band really, really on fire then watch the Live Wood video on you tube it still gets me.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by T38.45

Bought heliocentric on vinyl...def. a wrong purchase :-(

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by Bob the Builder
T38.45 posted:

Bought heliocentric on vinyl...def. a wrong purchase :-(

Not really because it sells for around £100 a copy now and especially if you disliked it that much and therefore never played it. As always discogs is your friend.

Posted on: 02 June 2018 by T38.45

Oooutch, thanks for hint!