PC Network

Posted by: Dustysox on 01 June 2018

Hi all,

I am slowly losing my mind with PC network discovery!!

We have Windows 10 PC's at work (yup, I know thats the problem!!!) and my PC can "see" three PC's and there are many others that are not showing up on the network that used to. I have checked Network & Sharing settings and it seems fine. I have ensured that under "Services" that Function Discovery/SSDP Discovery & UPnP Device Host are all started and set to start up type is Automatic. All seems well. I have disabled Windows Firewall just to see if that was causing any issues. 

What bugs me is that I can see 3 machines all running Windows 10, and others which are running Windows 10/XP etc are not seen.

Please help!!!!!!

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

It would appear under Windows settings select Network & Internet... then select Ethernet (or Wi-fi) and then click on Advanced Options.. and ensure Make this PC Discoverable is set to on... for all PCs that you wish to be discovered from the network.

The services you describe and have activated  won’t do anything unless an application drives them and tells them what to do..

Posted on: 01 June 2018 by Dustysox

Thank you Simon. I will certainly give it a go. Driving me nuts, thankfully a weekend of BBQ n Music beckons to unwind my Windows woes!!

Posted on: 07 June 2018 by Dustysox

Hi Simon n all!

No joy so far. Tried your suggestion with no luck.Any thoughts? This is doing my head in...lucky for me not my ears!!!

Whats strange is my brothers pc no less than 3 ft away sees all. It must be a ruddy tick or untick in the box! My settings match his Private/Public etc network setting.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by fatcat

My W10 pc has an app called connect. It uses connect to access my nas drive. It's a long shot but you could try enabling it.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Mike-B

It's a while since I've checked the in's & out's of my Win-10.   

It's just as Simon sez.  Settings>Network & Internet>WiFi>Change advanced sharing options> you get this screen,  check as shown