Uniti Star 4 Ohm Speaker Rating

Posted by: Swood on 04 June 2018

Hi,

I am having difficulty confirming the Amplification rating of the Uniti Star for 4  Ohm speaker configuration. I know the unit is rated at 70 watts per channel for 8ohm.  Can anyone advise. Thanks

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Richard Dane

I'm not sure whether Naim have published a 4 ohm power rating for the Star.  I think Stereophile published a 4 ohm rating for the Nova - 80W/channel 8 ohms, 155W/channel 4 ohms.  I'd imagine that the Star would similarly stiff, but if you really need to know then an email to Naim will probably elicit the answer.

Posted on: 04 June 2018 by Swood

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the advice, I guess that may be the best idea.

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Swood

Hi All,

Just to let any interested parties know, the reply from Naim Support is that it is not recommended to use 4 ohm speakers on the Unit Star as it will cause the unit to run hot and may reduce life expectancy.

Regards,

Stuart

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by Callas01

Works just fine on my Dynaudio speakers

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Olek_K

Whaaaat? I use it with ProAc s148 and it works fine. Should I worry? Also: I don’t remember any bold letters warning on my unit anywhere saying DONT USE WITH 4ohm. 

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Richard Dane

I agree.  That doesn't sound quite right.  I have requested clarification.

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Swood

Hi Reply from Naim Uniti Support cut and pasted below:

"

Thank you for your enquiry, I'm sorry for the length of time it has taken to respond to you, unfortunately there has been a distinct increase in support which has led to a minor delay in email responses. Hopefully this hasn't been too disruptive for you.

I can confirm that the device should power the speakers, however, I would advise that they will be harder to power for the device, and can potentially cause issues further down the line, especially with causing the device to run harder and hotter, this is not recommended. We would recommend using speakers that fit the 8 ohm output of the device."

Regards,

Stuart
Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Perol

They have outsourced customer support eh ! ????

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Phil Harris

Hi Guys,

I can confirm that there are no issues with using Atom / Star / Nova on four ohms speaker loads ... all units are also tested at two ohms and even down as far as one ohm (but that is to check that they self protect correctly).

Using the units with a four ohm load will cause them to run hotter but again they will self-protect if they get overly hot but again the units are designed to handle a four ohm load.

I'll look into where this information came from...

Cheers

Phil

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by Olek_K

Great news! Now back to Flying Saucer Attack!