BT email account and Outlook/Windows Mail

Posted by: Bruce Woodhouse on 04 June 2018

In the last week or so all my MS Mail apps have developed the very annoying trait of failing to store the password for my BT internet account. Every time I use one of them I have to go to settings and re-enter it to get the list of messages updated.

I have deleted the account and re-entered it but it keeps happening. It did this once or twice before then settled down but it has been happening for too long and is driving me nuts.

A quick trawl online reveals a plethora of similar comments, albeit from years ago, and various arcane 'solutions' that I am completely unable to understand.

This seems so basic; can anyone suggest what I might do to fix it? is this a BT Mail or Microsoft problem? It must affect millions of users!

Bruce

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by Happy Listener

Bruce - 

A few weeks ago some of my saved passwords were lost, I think post a Windows update - but not within my Outlook set-up, which has 2 e-mail feeds, one being BT. After a few days the issues stopped - I wonder if another update cum patch was processed?

Have you checked to see if there are any uninstalled Updates available? 

FWIW, I've just had another update of MS Office which didn't seem to be designated in my system as a 'Windows Update'. It seems Outlook was updated within this but so far I've not had any issues or failures to connect with the feeds.

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by Mike-B

I had much the same going back a few years & I've given up on relying on MS for anything,  especially with passwords.   I've taken to use only Google Chrome as my safe keeping place,  plus browser, plus bookmark manager, plus plus plus.    I have BT Mail that is my only e-mail,  I still have an MS account that I don't use, ditto Google Mail & ditto Apple accounts,  all are sync'd to BT Mail & Chrome.    Its been faultless w.r.t. passwords & security & that includes despite the prolonged & asserted efforts of BT to do otherwise.

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Thanks all

Nothing has cleared yet. I think there was a good sized update a week or so on all my devices (Win 10 at home, Win 7 pro at work) come to think of it. Maybe it will be patched if others are having trouble.

I have just installed Chrome on my desktop at home but not yet used Google mail so if the problem does not resolve I will go to that.

I'm resigned to it not being my fault, which is good, and bad.

Bruce

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by NewNaim16

I'm not suggesting that it's down to BT Mail but notwithstanding the satisfaction that Mike-B has, my personal experience has been less than favourable. Trouble with BT Mail false span triggers and trouble with intermittent working with VPN, all this while other email environments work just fine. YMMV of course but just saying...