Heinz salad cream

Posted by: Bf56 on 05 June 2018

Nothing is sacred...those baddies at Kraft ( remember Cadburys ), now they are renaming salad cream !!!!! It will be renamed Sandwich Cream.  I bet they dont even know the sandwich was invented by a Brit.  Crisp Cream might be a better name, as we like dipping our crisps. But that might be confused with donuts. Crisps known as chips in the new world. 

Bob F . 

Discusted of West Midlands 

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

Does anyone use salad cream on a salad nowadays ? Apart from when mixed with tomato sauce and used with prawn and avocado ?

Perhaps it should be rebranded "Grannies Relish"

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by Minh Nguyen

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by Tony2011

Would you care for some more  salad cream, Sir?

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by Kevin-W

To be fair to Kraft (not someone one normally likes doing), Bob, they're only "considering" renaming it.

There's a period of consultation, and they'll be making an announcement in September.

I've always hated the stuff, but renaming a much-loved brand after a century seems absolutely daft. Back in the 1990s, Heinz considered dropping it altogether but backtracked after an outcry.

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by Kevin-W

Pan Yan Pickle. Now that was a thing of beauty...

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by thebigfredc

Pick up your pitch forks and flaming torches, we're off to the Houses of Parliament  - this time they have gone too far.

Posted on: 05 June 2018 by joerand

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://i.imgur.com/j3afQl1.jpg

https://www.businessblogshub.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bizarre_product_18.jpg

These could do with a rebranding 

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by Eloise
TOBYJUG posted:

Does anyone use salad cream on a salad nowadays ? 

Perfect for egg salad; nicer than mayo then IMO. 

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by Mike-B

I am in a mixed house on Salad Cream.   My wife invariably uses it on a salad,   I will use it only when salad is not so fresh.  My prefered salad dressing is one of a number of my own mixes based on olive oil, white or balsamic & crushed garlic if its really juicy.   

Whatever it will be a sad day if it does get renamed; who on earth uses it in a sandwich - yuk.      ohh wait a minute, Heinz is a US company, right ?? nuff said.   

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by French Rooster

only olive oil with a touch of mayonnaise and pepper.  but mostly olive oil only.  French people use “ vinaigrette “, which is olive oil with salt, mustard and vinegar.   I don’t like it.

Posted on: 06 June 2018 by GraemeH

Our local lunch shop sells pre-made rolls with ham, cheddar, lettuce and - neatly packed underneath - a discrete ‘sachet’ of salad cream. Out of sight. The ‘top shelf’ of salad dressings.

Had one today.

Yum.

G

Posted on: 07 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y
French Rooster posted:

only olive oil with a touch of mayonnaise and pepper.  but mostly olive oil only.  French people use “ vinaigrette “, which is olive oil with salt, mustard and vinegar.   I don’t like it.

Absolutely. Add some bread, wine and tomatoes and it is all one needs.

I've already educated my kids the differences between all these crappy sauces and they seem to prefer either olive oil or mayonnaise - good, real mayonnaise.

It was a few years ago in a supermarket in Cardiff that I got a 'meal deal'. Some sandwich, crisps and soda drink. I checked ingredients and the crisps were the healthiest part of my meal ...

Posted on: 07 June 2018 by lutyens

At least they are 'considering'! Waitrose simply discontinued their 'Apple and Walnut Chutney' without any 'considering'.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Skip

Is the the Miracle Whip we grew up with?

if so, good riddance I say.  

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by Kiwi cat

Can someone with more technical knowledge than me post the Fawlty Towers “salad cream” scetch. John Cleese at his brilliant best.

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by Christopher_M

It's a sad day when Brett Anderson's description of his upbringing, 'Salad Cream and milky tea and cheap meat', is made one third less meaningful.

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by Alley Cat
Kiwi cat posted:

Can someone with more technical knowledge than me post the Fawlty Towers “salad cream” scetch. John Cleese at his brilliant best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiOmq-UcDk

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Heinz won't get here. Not for lads!