AV Bypass on Uniti Atom

Posted by: Terry Smith on 07 June 2018

I am looking at switching things around when I move house and I would like to use the Uniti Atom with my AV amp so that the Atom drives the front two speakers. Is it as simple as connecting the RCA cables from the AV amp pre-out to the Analog Input on the Atom and choosing "AV fixed Volume" in the app? Or am I missing something ? 

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Bouba

I'm actually in the same situation and have the same question. I'm wondering if it'd be as simple as that or if there is anything special to do and alter the settings within the app. 

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by robgr

I use a NAP250 to drive my fronts from an MRX520 AV amp via a 'fixed volume input' on the 250 and it works a treat

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

I use my Atom to drive the front two speakers in my AV setup and use AV fixed volume and preouts from the AV amp that is all that is needed. Be warned in latest firmware there is a bug that when switching to certain inputs from the analogue input with AV fixed volume on it does not switch it off until you mute it or hit volume. You get a very nasty shock if you forget this does it switching to internet radio all the time and have had it on Roon once. Naim are aware of it and hopefully will release a fix in the next firmware update.

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Terrysmi

Thanks for the feedback Simon and good to know my interpretation was right . Disappointing though to hear of yet another bug in the Uniti range. Just to be clear on the workaround , if you have been using the analogue input you have to mute it before moving to another input is that correct? 

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Bouba

Can someone tell me where can I set  the output from the Atom on "fixed volume", I find the menus of the Atom not as straight forward as those on the UQ2. 

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by SimonPeterArnold
Terrysmi posted:

Thanks for the feedback Simon and good to know my interpretation was right . Disappointing though to hear of yet another bug in the Uniti range. Just to be clear on the workaround , if you have been using the analogue input you have to mute it before moving to another input is that correct? 

You can do that or just remember to turn off the AV fixed volume before switching. It's hardly ideal but it stops you damaging your speakers and waking up the entire family and neighbours at midnight like what happened to me. 

Bouba posted:

Can someone tell me where can I set  the output from the Atom on "fixed volume", I find the menus of the Atom not as straight forward as those on the UQ2. 

Its in the Input settings menu then choose the input, its only for the analogue input.

SimonPeterArnold posted:
Terrysmi posted:

You can do that or just remember to turn off the AV fixed volume before switching. It's hardly ideal but it stops you damaging your speakers and waking up the entire family and neighbours at midnight like what happened to me. 

Or you can ask Naim for the downgrade back to 2.3 firmware as its not in that version. And to me sounds better anyway.

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Aside from whether there may be a software bug causing a mismatch in signal levels, it is general good practice to reduce volume control to zero before switching any inputs to any amp - and hitting the ‘mute’ button is not a substitute because if there is a mismatched signal level it could blast at an unacceptable level upon unmuting. I’m not sure that I understand what the specific bug is with the Atom, but would this not address the problem? However, I am unfamiliar with the Atom, and this is irrelevant if this is some other input which maybe goes direct to power amp not through the volume control, as clearly then not applicable. 

I have never in all my days had to turn down volume when switching inputs and i dont intend on doing so now. The bug is it's not turning off AV fixed volume and playing everything back at the incorrect volume for a few seconds on switching to a digital input it did not do it prior to latest firmware and considering its only for analogue inputs should not affect digital at all but some how is.

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Terrysmi

I have to agree with your sentiment Simon particularly when something like invoking Roon or multi room will automatically switch inputs - its a bug and should be fixed 

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by GregWPGibbs

Does anyone know if this bug is restricted to the Atom, or are the Nova and Star similarly affected?

GregWPGibbs posted:

Does anyone know if this bug is restricted to the Atom, or are the Nova and Star similarly affected?

They run the same software but can't confirm or deny..I also don't recommend trying it to find out. My ears still hurt

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander
SimonPeterArnold posted:

I have never in all my days had to turn down volume when switching inputs and i dont intend on doing so now. The bug is it's not turning off AV fixed volume and playing everything back at the incorrect volume for a few seconds on switching to a digital input it did not do it prior to latest firmware and considering its only for analogue inputs should not affect digital at all but some how is.

You may not have done, and may not have had a problem, and it may be nothing to do with the OP’s issue, but the fact is that IS good practice, and one day could save you or others from anything from a sudden blast making you jump to damage to a speaker. 

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

They have fixed the AV volume bug in the latest firmware. 

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Terrysmi

Thanks Simon , that's good to hear