Anthony Bourdain

Posted by: aznblue on 08 June 2018

I was so saddened to learn that Anthony Bourdain passed away today. Anthony was a celebrated chef, author, media personality and esteemed world traveler. I enjoyed watching his shows like Parts Unknown, and his sense of humor and interesting outlook on life will be sorely missed.

RIP Tony

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

Not as well known here over the pond, but a very enthusiastic charismatic character. Will be missed by many.

http://thehill.com/sites/default/files/article_images/obamabarack_bourdainanthony09232016whitehouse.jpg

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by CP62

Very sad i read his books and watched his tv shows and i was a fan. RIP Anthony you will be missed.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Frank Yang

That is totally unexpected, given his cheerful character.
Please come back, we needed you.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by wenger2015

Unfortunately it has been reported that he took his own life?  Very very sad if true.

RIP

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Gazza

Yes, very sad, he came out with such different comments that cut through some of the pretentious sentiments in the industry.

”Our bodies are not a Temple, it’s an Amusement Park, enjoy the ride”, RIP Mr Boudain.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Eoink

Yep, sad news,I remember reading Kitchen Confidential and laughing loudly.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Kiwi cat

I loved his books and tv shows. A real rock n roll chef. My son and I stumbled across his Les Halles restaurant on a holiday in Manhattan last year and enjoyed Steak frites there. Sadly he was not there that day.

I loved his sense of fun and irreverence. Will be missed.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Skip

I have been a big fan.    Didn’t we all want to be like him?     I found myself wondering how a guy who seems to eat and drink so much stays so skinny and has such a hot young GF.   And gets paid for doing it all over the world! Nothing good lasts forever.   RIP.  

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Erich

I loved his TV shows, character and particular way of living. RIP Tony. 

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Frank Yang
TOBYJUG posted:

Not as well known here over the pond, but a very enthusiastic charismatic character. Will be missed by many.

http://thehill.com/sites/default/files/article_images/obamabarack_bourdainanthony09232016whitehouse.jpg

I always like this picture, I think Obama sends a subtle message to the Vietnamese Communist leaders in particular, and to the other dictatorship leadership elsewhere that even you are at the top of the world, you *must not* be too far away from the ordinary people and the ordinary life of the mass.

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by osprey

A quite a popular character around here too – didn’t dine with the presidential company though…

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by Kevin-W

I interviewed him some years ago for a food and drink industry mag. He was fantastic company, hugely knowledgeable about his craft, very passionate and very funny. He wasa chef who knew the importance of good food to a life well lived.

His views of vegetarians and vegans were most amusing and spot on:

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

"Oh, I'll accomodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.”

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by Kevin-W

Here's a fantastic piece he wrote for The New Yorker 19 years ago. It's well worth taking the time to read.

https://www.newyorker.com/maga...-before-reading-this

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by tonym
Kevin-W posted:

I interviewed him some years ago for a food and drink industry mag. He was fantastic company, hugely knowledgeable about his craft, very passionate and very funny. He wasa chef who knew the importance of good food to a life well lived.

His views of vegetarians and vegans were most amusing and spot on:

“Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

"Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. It's healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter I've worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

"Oh, I'll accomodate them, I'll rummage around for something to feed them, for a 'vegetarian plate', if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.”

...and in the words of one comedian - "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Robert Burgess

David Simon, creator of the TV series "The Wire" and a friend of Anthony Bourdain, has just written a wonderful tribute, well worth reading. You can find it if you Google "Anthony Bourdain David Simon". 

Posted on: 13 June 2018 by Gazza

Thanks very interesting