N-Vi dead...again

Posted by: Jonas Olofsson on 08 June 2018

Well, 5 times at Naim and now dead again (6 months since last time...). Quite boring. Is it worth to send it AGAIN or should I move forward?

Still have some DVD but really never plays them. Looking at Netflix and HBO, through n-Vi, Naim Accent, Kudos 10,  n-Sub, and some rear speakers. 

What should I do?

//Jonas

Posted on: 08 June 2018 by Consciousmess

I figure you just use the 5.1 from the nVi.  It really is a brilliant item. Perhaps the DVD mechanism = moving parts hence faults.

Bought mine s/h about 6 years ago, One service and no problems.

Posted on: 22 July 2018 by Consciousmess

Got to eat my words aw my nVi has now packed up! No stereo front out and that is after all the resetting and rebooting one does. Had it for about 7 years and bought it s/h and I also had it serviced about 5 years ago.

Question is, where next?

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Don Atkinson

Are any of the current crop of Naim Streamers capable of streaming movies ?

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Alley Cat
Don Atkinson posted:

Are any of the current crop of Naim Streamers capable of streaming movies ?

No.

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by rackkit
Adam Meredith posted:
Jonas Olofsson posted:

Well, 5 times at Naim and now dead again (6 months since last time...). Quite boring. Is it worth to send it AGAIN or should I move forward?

Still have some DVD but really never plays them. Looking at Netflix and HBO, through n-Vi, Naim Accent, Kudos 10,  n-Sub, and some rear speakers. 

What should I do?

//Jonas

We are moving away from discs quicker than we realise.

Shh- some of us aren't & love spinning discs. Well, until streaming picture & sound quality can match Blu-ray at least...

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by GregWPGibbs

I tend to buy a limited number of 4K Blu-ray Discs to play on my Oppo 203, but also rent/purchase quite a few on my US iTunes account to play back via my Apple TV. Not quite a match for the physical medium, but very watchable and far more convenient. Plus (in a rare act of generosity from Apple) most of the movies I previously purchased in HD, were automatically upgraded to 4K with the introduction of their UHD player. 

Posted on: 29 July 2018 by Mike Sullivan
GregWPGibbs posted:

I tend to buy a limited number of 4K Blu-ray Discs to play on my Oppo 203, but also rent/purchase quite a few on my US iTunes account to play back via my Apple TV. Not quite a match for the physical medium, but very watchable and far more convenient. Plus (in a rare act of generosity from Apple) most of the movies I previously purchased in HD, were automatically upgraded to 4K with the introduction of their UHD player. 

I've just set up both and run with both options. If you after the best sound though, Blu-ray disks are another league altogether than an iTunes 4K steam. I've tried Roger Waters The Wall in both mediums and the sound difference is night and day. Have fun!

Posted on: 30 July 2018 by Super

I agree, for the ultimate in picture and audio i still think you can't beat disc format.

Posted on: 09 August 2018 by garyi

Its time to move on. nVi was OK for dvd and sounded great once you got over the 10 second deciding what it was doing thing, but this device is what a million years old now?