Media room upgrade pathway

Posted by: Mike Sullivan on 09 June 2018

I posted this in the Hi-Fi corner, not realsiisng there was a HT section, so I’m reposting here. Interested in thoughts and future proofing for surround sound and Atmos.

I’m looking to upgrade my audio set ups for a new media room setup in my home office. I currently run my main audio setup in the lounge using a UnitiQute 2, NAP100 and Totem Hawks. In the media room I have my old system, an A&R Cambridge A60, Rega Planar turntable and Acoustic Research 22BX speakers. My 4K bluray and Apple TV is connected to a Panasonic 65inch OLED, with an optical audio out to the A60 via an adapter. For both systems I also use Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

So, I am looking to upgrade those systems to run Naim to both the lounge (as main audio) and the media room (main movie viewing and second audio room/headphone room). I’ve settled on going with a stereo setup for movies at this stage rather than surround sound, as the room is 20 sq.m and not ideal for rear speakers when viewing a screen. I also watch a lot of music bluray concerts.

Currently I rip and stream from a Mac.

I’m looking for views on the best options with the new NAIM streamers to upgrade the media room setup, either by going with something like an Atom and Core and keeping the main lounge system as it is. Or, going with moving the UnitiQute 2 and NAP100 to the media room and running a Star or Nova with the Hawks in the lounge. Or any better combination of these, and the best path to upgrading over time (best money for audio return). What are peoples’ thoughts on this?

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by tonym

Hi Mike, can't comment of the suitability or otherwise of the Nami streamers, but I feel you're really missing out if you don't go for an Atmos setup in your media/cinema room. I take your point regarding its relatively small size (what are the dimensions, as a matter of interest?) but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get away with a 5.1.2 or .4 Atmos setup using ceiling speakers, and there are some really neat and flexible Atmos speaker packages around. Denon A/V amps (other makes are available) are terrific value, and sound quite excellent.

Like yourself, I really enjoy bluray concerts, and surround sound works superbly with these. You've certainly got the display that warrants a proper home cinema installation. 

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by Mike Sullivan
tonym posted:

Hi Mike, can't comment of the suitability or otherwise of the Nami streamers, but I feel you're really missing out if you don't go for an Atmos setup in your media/cinema room. I take your point regarding its relatively small size (what are the dimensions, as a matter of interest?) but I'd be surprised if you couldn't get away with a 5.1.2 or .4 Atmos setup using ceiling speakers, and there are some really neat and flexible Atmos speaker packages around. Denon A/V amps (other makes are available) are terrific value, and sound quite excellent.

Like yourself, I really enjoy bluray concerts, and surround sound works superbly with these. You've certainly got the display that warrants a proper home cinema installation. 

Thanks [@mention:1566878603998391]. The room is about 4m by 5m, veiwing is across the 4m from a single couch, as the room doubles as an office. Ceiling speakers are an easy option, as it’s was refurbished some 3 years ago and it’s below the dining room with a small cavity. I guess up firing speakers can be an option, or one of the the newer Atmos sound bars. 

I had also thought of going for a quality audio stereo set up to start with, and then add an A/V that passes out the stereo output with additional subwoofer and rear speakers? 

I’m traditionally a stereo guy, so AV is new to me.

Posted on: 09 June 2018 by tonym

You can easily incorporate an A/V system into your existing stereo Mike. Just use the two front line-level outputs from the A/V amp into the preamp (or integrated), it's what I do. It helps if you've got an amp/pre that gives you unitary gain, that way, once you've set the various channel output levels, the left & right front signals just pass through, the volume being controlled by your A/V amp. If you don't have this function you have to make sure to set the volume on the stereo amp to the same level you used in the surround setup.

Can't comment on the Atmos sound bars, I've never heard one, but they're never going to sound as good as a proper multispeaker surround setup.