Danny Kirwan

Posted by: mlauner on 10 June 2018

Danny Kirwan passed away yesterday at age 68. He was a major part of 5 top Fleetwood Mac albums. Another guitar in heaven. RIP

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by AndyP19

There is period of Fleetwood Mac history from 1971 to 1974 which is largely overlooked, understandably so given what followed. But, during this time they produced five stunning albums starting with the sublime Future Games, the first track of which is Danny's beautiful 'Woman of a 1000 years'.

The band had three talented song writers, Danny, Christine McVie and the great Bob Welch and in my view there songs on the albums during this period that are equal anything during the Buckingham/Nicks years.

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Hmack

I completely agree. 

My particular favourite track from that album is 'Sometimes', written by Kirwan. I have always thought that the track could quite easily have been written & performed by The Grateful Dead, and the lead guitar sounds as though it could be Jerry Garcia himself.

Although the early Peter Green years have always been my favourite Fleetwood Mac years, this album in particular is very beautiful.  

Posted on: 10 June 2018 by Nick Lees

There's definitely a tendency to sneer at the period between Then Play on and the Buckingham Nicks era. Christine and Bob wrote some fine stuff (Heroes Are Hard To Find is especially good), but Danny played his part in that transition. Though the Boston live sets (the Spencer part apart, for me) also show Danny off well.