No rear effects during playback.

Posted by: rackkit on 11 June 2018

From my Denon Blu-Ray (DVD 3800BD) player using the analogue outputs into my AV2 despite them being present when using the players speaker set up routine menu. This is after a recent strip down and i've been over every connection & still can't find a solution.

Any ideas folks?

Posted on: 11 June 2018 by Richard Dane

Rackkit, I assume we are talking the rear effects of a 7.1 system rather than the surrounds of a 5.1/7.1 system. If you're using the AV2's analogue inputs then there's no processing taking place - the fact that you can hear that they are there when using the players speaker setup routine shows that the AV2 is working fine.  It can thus only be something going on in the Denon player.  Have you checked through the Denon menus carefully to see that you're OK.  And remember that not everything has rear effects.  5.1 is common with surround, but 7.1 is not always offered on blu-ray discs.

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by Dungassin

Rackkit, if your using 5.1, then the rear signal goes to the SURROUND speakers?   This is certainly the case for my Arcam AVR 850.

Posted on: 12 June 2018 by rackkit

It’s a strange one this. The Denon speaker set routine using the analogue connections says everything is working as it should and I’ve tested it again but some discs just aren’t  playing rear effects. I say some because Marvel’s Thor - Darkworld is playing the rear effects but the recent Spider-Man isn’t along with the James Bond Daniel Craig box sets. 

Now unless I’m losing it, I swear I’ve played that JB box set without this problem before. I also have a digital coaxial lead to let the AV2 do the decoding and everything is fine with that. 

The Denon doesn’t have any connection to the internet so can’t have done an update to suddenly give this problem so I’m stumped on this one. 

I’ll do some research on my player to see if there’s a known problem but I’m not getting my hopes up as things have moved on since it came about 9 odd years ago. 

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by rackkit
Richard Dane posted:

Rackkit, I assume we are talking the rear effects of a 7.1 system rather than the surrounds of a 5.1/7.1 system. If you're using the AV2's analogue inputs then there's no processing taking place - the fact that you can hear that they are there when using the players speaker setup routine shows that the AV2 is working fine.  It can thus only be something going on in the Denon player.  Have you checked through the Denon menus carefully to see that you're OK.  And remember that not everything has rear effects.  5.1 is common with surround, but 7.1 is not always offered on blu-ray discs.

Hi Richard. No just rear effects on a 5.1 set up.

Yep, everything thankfully seems fine with the AV2.

This connection info was provided with the analogue leads by Dave at Flashback Cables

"When the 2 4 phono - 5 pin DIN cables are used in your AV2, the wiring is as follows

the pair of phonos that feature a red trace on the cable are white = surround in, left and red = surround in, right

the second phono pair, without a trace, white = front in, left and red is front in, right

When connecting to V2, a red trace on the cable is white = rear in, left and red = rear in, right

the second phono pair, without a trace, white = centre in and red is sub in"

Posted on: 14 June 2018 by rackkit
Dungassin posted:

Rackkit, if your using 5.1, then the rear signal goes to the SURROUND speakers?   This is certainly the case for my Arcam AVR 850.

Hi Dungassin.

I'll check my connections again.

I've set this lot up plenty of times and never had this problem before... 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Richard Dane

Rackkit, I would go through your VIPS connections again, to double check. Front L+R and Surround L+R are on the VIPS 1 DIN5, so just have that one connected at first, just so you are sure you have the Surrounds working properly first.  Then when you know all is good, connect the second lead for centre.

p.s. There are no rear effects on 5.1, just Front L+R, Centre, Surround L+R, and Sub.

Posted on: 18 June 2018 by rackkit
Richard Dane posted:

Rackkit, I would go through your VIPS connections again, to double check. Front L+R and Surround L+R are on the VIPS 1 DIN5, so just have that one connected at first, just so you are sure you have the Surrounds working properly first.  Then when you know all is good, connect the second lead for centre.

p.s. There are no rear effects on 5.1, just Front L+R, Centre, Surround L+R, and Sub.

Thanks for the reminder on surrounds & rears Richard, that’s where I’d confused myself. Took only a few minutes to unplug & reinstall them correctly so everything is up & running again. 

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Rack.