Most essential band member?

Posted by: dave marshall on 15 June 2018

As an adjunct to the "best frontman" thread currently running, I wonder who might be considered the band member most essential to the groups sound?

Not necessarily the greatest musician, but rather the player with the instantly recognisable touch, which defines the band.

The central essence of The Stones has to be Keef's riffs, without which their groove just wouldn't be the same ................oh, and his songwriting partnership with Mick ain't too shabby either. 

There's no doubt lots of contenders, but, for me, it has to be Keef, "the human riff". 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Eoink

I wouldn't disagree with Keef, but a few other contenders.

Angus Young, Acker Dacker's sound is completely based on his distinctive riffing.

Despite the Duke's brilliant lead vocals, Bowie's great albums wouldn't be the same without Mick Ronson's amazing guitar.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Charles44

Jerry Garcia, look at the "Dead" now.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Eoink

Good call on Jerry Garcia.

Just to cover the obvious, Jimi was pretty much everything in the Experience, but it's not really the same question as the Experience was a vehicle for him, similarly I wouldn't name Carlos Santana.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

The following immediately come to mind:

Deep Purple - probably Jon Lord with has organ but very much Ritchie Blackmore’s guitar as well

The Who - Pete Townshend’s guitar playing

Led Zep - Jimmy Page’s guitar playing

Yes - Rick Wakeman with his assorted keyboards

Moody Blues - Mike Pinder with his Mellotron

Curved Air - Darryl Way and his violin

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by ALANP
Eoink posted:

Good call on Jerry Garcia.

Just to cover the obvious, Jimi was pretty much everything in the Experience, but it's not really the same question as the Experience was a vehicle for him, similarly I wouldn't name Carlos Santana.

So I suppose this would mean including Mark Knopfler with Jimi and Carlos?

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Magnus Hultstrand

David Gilmour - Pink Floyd

John Bonham - Led Zeppelin

Lemmy - Motörhead

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by yeti42

Dave Brock, Hawkwind, he took out the copyright to make sure of it.

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by The Strat (Fender)

I think sometimes the most essential band member is not the most obvious.   John Deacon was a massive influence on Queen, JPJ similarly on Zep, Andy Fraser in Free.  

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DO7T2tnW0AElBZS.jpg

Charlotte Marionneau.

the scissor player in Noel Gallaghers High Flying Birds 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by GraemeH

Carlos Santana.

It’s always amazed me watching a video recording of theirs where there are literally tens of musicians on stage, all noodling away on bongos, pan-pipes and what have you. Each musician then starts to leave the stage - one every minute or so - and it sounds exactly the bloody same until...you’ve guessed it...CS leaves, and the music stops.

Try that in reverse order and it would be a right dogs breakfast.

G

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by dave marshall
TOBYJUG posted:

Charlotte Marionneau.

????????

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by hungryhalibut

Johnny Marr. Or maybe Peter Hook. 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Tony2011

Bez of Happy Mondays. Heaven knows what he was doing there but I think he’s still trying to find his way home! 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by TOBYJUG
yeti42 posted:

Dave Brock, Hawkwind, he took out the copyright to make sure of it.

https://oldtimereligionradio.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/hawkwind-tickets-lincoln-engine-shed_13038742844725-png.jpeg

Stacia was the most essential 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

If we can add Sly & Robbie for the numerous bands they played in and if we can allow producers Lee Scratch Perry was essential to that early Wailers sound and whilst were at it Peter Tosh & Bunny Wailer weren't bad and who would you pick out of this lot.

Miles Davis First quintet (1955-58)

<dl><dd>increased to Sextet in 1958 with Cannonball Adderleyalto saxophone</dd></dl>

Second quintet (1964-68)[edit]

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by Bob the Builder
dave marshall posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Charlotte Marionneau.

????????

Wasn't she in Scissor sisters before. 

Posted on: 15 June 2018 by christoph

The E Street band.

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Adam Zielinski

Any bass player of course 

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by Mulberry
hungryhalibut posted:

Johnny Marr. [...]

I saw that one coming  Looking at his work with The The, our esteemed Halibut has a good point here.

Posted on: 16 June 2018 by hungryhalibut

Another one is Mick Jones. When he left The Clash they went down the tubes. I saw them live shortly after Mick left, and despite replacing him with two guitarists, they were still rubbish.