NAP 175 to the rescue – Resolution

Posted by: dukeofhazard on 18 June 2018

Finally, after a long search, and coming from the died down Marantz SR 8002 (see the thread further down), the following solution is in place: Low key IOTAVX1 multi-chanel pre in combination with a used and recapped NAP 175 (mains via SuperUniti).

It has been appealing to me to find a solution without all the features of modern av-receiver. In my living environment a 5.0 solution is enough to experience a exciting film and TV sound. The sub is substituted by the Ovator 400 capabilities (As one reviewer once wrote: a two subwoofer and one broad band driver design). To my ears (and guts) it is deep enough. Also, with this system there is no power amplifier in place that is not in use. I do not want video scaling, streaming, or 3D sound.

After a couple of weeks I ‘am satisfied with this strategy. In low resolution sound files like Netflix et al. the voice recognition is greatly improved. This is especially important for us as we prefer to watch with the original sound and language option on and we are non-native speaker. That would not help say for The Wire, as the slang is hardly to decipher, however, in most cases is does the trick. Especially for Blu-Ray tracks the atmosphere is fantastic. I watched Blade Runner 2049 and the sound design is cracking – from subtle to disturbing.

All in all, in sharing this experience, the news is there are low-feature solution out there for those who do not want to plaster their living rooms with dozens of speakers and see the av-world as a side topic to the stereo enthusiasm.

Cheers…

Christian

Posted on: 19 June 2018 by rackkit

I had great results using a NAP V175 in combination with a NAP 150 all routed through the AV2. Speakers where n-Sats & n-Cent for the fronts a budget pair of Monitor Audios for the surrounds and n-Sub for the low stuff. 

I’ve slowly moved things up since but still have the n-Sats (for surrounds), n-Sub & AV2. 

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by NickSeattle

Running AV2 + NAP-V175 as 3.0 here.  Will add a 150 or 200 later, if the need arises.  Will give my sub-woofer one more go before abandoning that added consideration.

Glad to have landed here, after a few honorable Denon AV pieces.

Nick

Posted on: 19 July 2018 by vintageaxeman

Also running Panasonic plasma & Bluray through AV2, NAP175 and NAP150X into a Linn centre speaker, main and surround are little Philips 3 way speakers (well balanced sound, spacious and lovely treble due to ribbon tweeters) and a big Focal subwoofer. Beautifully articulate, musical and powerful sound.