Rear speaker delay setting

Posted by: rackkit on 21 June 2018

Both my AV2 and Denon DVD player have to be set up manually for delay & levels for all speakers - no fancy auto calibration here! The front, centre and sub are straightforward enough being between 2.7m and 3.3m away from the listening position but the rears are less straightforward (to me) as they're on the rear wall directly behind (so level with my ears) but 1.5m away in each direction.

Now do I set them at 1.5m or 0.0m for the delay from the fronts, centre and sub? In other words, is the sound 1.5m away or is it zero as they're in the same plane as the listening position? 

Glad to hear any opinions/knowledge on this!

Cheers,

Rack.

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

It’s the time it takes the sound to reach your ears after leaving the speaker, so with distance settings it is the distance of the speakers from you (or average if several seats used for viewing), so 1.5m in this case.

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Richard Dane

Yup, distance/delay is measured from distance from speaker to ear.

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by rackkit

Thanks folks. I'd originally set the rears at 0.0m but have since had them at correct 1.5m from my position the last few days. Planning on watching a few films over the weekend to properly hear the difference in the new settings.

Cheers,

Rack.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by groover45

How's your settings Rack? A buddy of mine is looking for almos the same set as yours soon. We'll just finish the installation of new brake pad and smittybilt skid plates on his Jeep before we proceed with purchasing.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by rackkit
groover45 posted:

How's your settings Rack? A buddy of mine is looking for almos the same set as yours soon. We'll just finish the installation of new brake pad and smittybilt skid plates on his Jeep before we proceed with purchasing.

All sounding fine now again groover. The new rear settings have moved the soundstage further forward so it sounds more natural now. Maybe one day I'll move to a bigger place so I can justify having a projector. drop down screen, ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos - basically the works! 

You've gotta have your dreams!