Flickering Nova Uniti display

Posted by: freegw on 01 July 2018

Regularly when I switch on my Uniti Nova (from standby mode) I get no display at all or the display is flickering like in the video below.

Usually when I switch the Nova off (in standby mode) and on again the display is working normal.

Does anybody has the same experience?

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Richard Dane

I don't know if it's normal or not but if you're concerned then it could be something to contact your dealer about - is it just on the TV input?  

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Gazza

I would give your dealer a call that is not normal

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Beachcomber

What sort of call would say is not normal?

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Timmo1341

Were that my Atom display it would be on its way back to Salisbury by now, via my dealer.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Woj

OMG, mine Star does the same from time to time. Not always but it happens. The scenario is the same, to stop the screen flickering I put it in standby again and then back on again. Usually works.  As far as I remember it happens on any input including iradio 

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Alley Cat
freegw posted:

Regularly when I switch on my Uniti Nova (from standby mode) I get no display at all or the display is flickering like in the video below.

Usually when I switch the Nova off (in standby mode) and on again the display is working normal.

Does anybody has the same experience?

Doesn't sound right.

My Atom had a display issue whereby the screen showed nothing but random pixels at certain times.  It was RMA'd.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by cdboy

Worth checking the firmware is up to date. Particularly if it is HDMI capable.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by SimonPeterArnold

Send it back it's clearly faulty. It should not be doing that in any situation.

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by freegw

Not sure if it is just on the TV input.

Using the latest firmware (2.6.1) and not using HDMI but one of the optical inputs available.

I will contact my dealer about this issue.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Woj

FREEGW - did you sort this issue out? Could you share?

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by freegw

Yes I did get the faulty Nova replaced by my dealer.

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Woj

OK. Thanks for the update. I own Star which is suffering from the same issue. Initially it was only occasional but now it happens nearly every time I wake it from stand-by. I guess I have no option other than taking it to the Dealer. Did you contact Naim Support before taking it to the Dealer?

Posted on: 28 August 2018 by Gazza

I would just call your dealer and explain the fault.

Posted on: 11 October 2018 by Woj

Star went to Salisbury . Waiting for it to be repaired. Hopefully soon.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Julien.m

I have a brand new Nova and I have nothing at all on my screen, absolutely black. (firmware 2.6.1)

But the Nova itself is working, I can choose any input with my phone and listen to music (UPNP, radio, airply, Tidal...)

these new Uniti lineup screen seems to have high failure rate. I'm not sure this Nova was a good choice to replace my SuperUniti. 

Naim official voice : What is your failure rate ? worse than previous range / classic range ?

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Woj

The screen on my Star started to flicker, as shown above, and then it went black too. The only way to get it back to life was to switch the unit off and on. The display got replaced (6 weeks) but it did not help and the screen was flickering from time to time after the replacement. Now, I have a new Star...and I've noticed on a couple of occasions that the screen was sort of 'shaking' for a bit just after powering up  which I am not sure whether this is normal (sort of adjusting procedure?) or something is actually going on. 

Personally i think that this is not an issue with the display itself but whatever is driving the display is not working properly as it always happens when the unit is powered on.

How do you know that these screens have a high failure rate? My dealer told me that this is the first fault of this type reported.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Julien.m
Woj posted:

How do you know that these screens have a high failure rate? My dealer told me that this is the first fault of this type reported.

I don't know. I just read people feedback on this forum. So I ask Naim if they have lot a screen failure or not.

And your last feedback is still frightening me. Ok now it's covered by the warranty but within 2 years, it will not be covered anymore. We don't have 3 years extra warranty out of UK.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Woj

You need to speak to your dealer about this. I dealt with 3 different NAIM dealers over the time and they all were excellent. So finger crossed they will sort this for you quickly if needed.

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by ChrisSU
Julien.m posted:

I have a brand new Nova and I have nothing at all on my screen, absolutely black. (firmware 2.6.1) 

A Nova with a dark screen!? Lucky you, stick it on eBay and people will be queueing up to get hold of it. ????

Posted on: 23 November 2018 by Alley Cat
ChrisSU posted:
Julien.m posted:

A Nova with a dark screen!? Lucky you, stick it on eBay and people will be queueing up to get hold of it. ????

I was just about to make a similar comment!

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by phasevier

Similar problem with my STAR. Often the display remains black when switched on. This is already the third replacement unit with technical or sound defects. What a shame!

Posted on: 25 November 2018 by Dramatic Tenor

So my screen has frozen artwork from Heart’s greatest hits. Not only is that embarrassing from a musical perspective but it persists even when I am playing from an analogue source. 

So there are clearly some screen driver issues that Baim needs to rectify.