Funeral Music

Posted by: Olias01 on 21 June 2018

So with each passing year,  thoughts turn to the inevitable final curtain. So what pieces of music or songs are you considering for your funeral and why 

Choice obviously changes but at present I’m leaning towards, Faure-In Paradisum and Yes -To Be Over simply because I think they wil suit the occasion

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by lutyens

Butterworths 'On the Banks of the Green Willow', Because my family know that it is one of my favourite pieces of music. It is pastoral, uplifting but thoughtful. And it identifies me very much with a countryside that i love.

After that I want everyone to at least smile as they remember me. 

If they ever play one piece of mournful tosh, ancient or modern, I have warned them I will come back and haunt them!

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by Gazza

For me Europa. Earths Cry , Heavens smile by Santana

Posted on: 21 June 2018 by naim_nymph

Cremation for me...

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by joerand

Music to placate the living attendees seems most appropriate, so let them decide. Music to mollify the deceased seems pointless. Your life lived and the memories you produced define your legacy. No piece of music played at your funeral will alter that.

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Kevin-W

Four pieces.

Bowie's "Subterraneans":

"Hole in the Ground" by Bernard Cribbins (a great George Martin production, this):

Throbbing Gristle's "Maggot Death":

And finally, Can's majestic "Future Days" (the full 9:30 version of course, rather than the edit):

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Peder

Yes,...I do not know if we have a high average age here on the forum ????????, but now there are no topics that surprise me anymore.
I'm not even thinking about my funeral music, but I still want to say good luck to those of you who do it.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by lyndon

I don't need no doctor

Highway to Hell

Lyndon

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Peder
lyndon posted:

I don't need no doctor

Highway to Hell

Lyndon

???? LYNDON,...????????? ???????????????? ????????.

/Peder???? 

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by David O'Higgins

With an unlimited budget, Wagner’s Siegfried funeral music from Götterdamerung. Otherwise,

’and I will raise him up’, with a chaser of ‘May the road rise to greet you’ . But in the end... Mr Tabourineman...........

Posted on: 22 June 2018 by Slim68

All Ways Look On The Bright Side Of Life, Eric Idle

Have A Drink On Me, AC/DC.

That'll do it

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by douglas

Any funerals I have attended, cremations especially, are pretty quick to despatch the deceased, often with "My way" by Franck Sinatra. Usually just an excerpt.

I would like Wagner's Seigfreid's Funeral Music. All the 15 minutes or so. It would clear the crematorium or probably just switch it off double quick.

Next please.

Douglas.

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by Romi

I don

douglas posted:

Any funerals I have attended, cremations especially, are pretty quick to despatch the deceased, often with "My way" by Franck Sinatra. Usually just an excerpt.

I would like Wagner's Seigfreid's Funeral Music. All the 15 minutes or so. It would clear the crematorium or probably just switch it off double quick.

Next please.

Douglas.

Ironically it was Wagner's Seigfreid's Funeral Music that was the gateway to my step towards Classical Music.  So for me this music was the birth of a new world crafted by the genius of Wagner.

t

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by Beachcomber

Dido's Lament at the beginning, Beethoven Pastoral at the end.

Posted on: 27 June 2018 by christoph

Genesis: follow me, follow you...

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by ROOG

Teenage Kicks, The Undertones. Cos i liked it and I felt "alive" at that time

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Richard Morris

I  was listening to Jimmy LaFave singing 'I'll Remember You' yesterday and thought that would make a good funeral song.