Jazz Corner

Posted by: Bob the Builder on 22 June 2018

A thread for Jazz and music lovers to listen, discover and discuss great Jazz music, if you wish to join in I thought we could pick one record per week to listen to and post our views about. I will choose the first record and then the person who posts first gets to pick the next record simple. 

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine recorded live on 12.02.1964 at the Philharmonic, NYC.

For me the best live Jazz record I have heard so far,  a great band featuring Herbie Hancock, George Coleman, Ron Carter and the then 19 year old Tony Williams deliver a stunning performance but it is Miles himself who is absolutely top drawer.  

Available on Tidal, Quboz, Spotify, Apple Music and also You Tube.

Posted on: 23 June 2018 by Bert Schurink

Followed suit and listened to my version. Indeed a fine album, while I belief that the combination and mix with the other album four by four would even have made it overall a better mix.  But for certain moods it’s good to have all ballads on one album...

Posted on: 23 June 2018 by al9315

I agree - listening to it on vinyl just now - I love Miles' sparse style, and what a great lineup !?

Bert - I take it you mean 'Four & More' as the 2nd record (love it too ! )

Posted on: 23 June 2018 by Brilliant

Nice - I believe the  concert  sessions are available on the worthy Miles box - Seven Steps: The Complete Columbia Recordings of Miles Davis 1963–1964 (discs 4&5)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._of_Miles_Davis_1963–1964

Posted on: 23 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

As first up Bert SCHURINK gets to pick the next record (if he so wishes) on Jazz Corner.  

Yes the second live LP from these recordings Four & More is also excellent and the speeded up versions of Miles standards also show exemplary musicianship although personally I prefer the more laid back or sparse style as AL9315 put it on the first record.

Thanks Brilliant I will look into the SEVEN STEPS Box set.

al9315 posted:

I agree - listening to it on vinyl just now - I love Miles' sparse style, and what a great lineup !?

Bert - I take it you mean 'Four & More' as the 2nd record (love it too ! )

Yes that’s the one I mean...

Bob the Builder posted:

As first up Bert SCHURINK gets to pick the next record (if he so wishes) on Jazz Corner.  

Yes the second live LP from these recordings Four & More is also excellent and the speeded up versions of Miles standards also show exemplary musicianship although personally I prefer the more laid back or sparse style as AL9315 put it on the first record.

Ok will publish the choice n do week...

Posted on: 23 June 2018 by nickfoss
Bob the Builder posted:

A thread for Jazz and music lovers to listen, discover and discuss great Jazz music, if you wish to join in I thought we could pick one record per week to listen to and post our views about. I will choose the first record and then the person who posts first gets to pick the next record simple. 

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine recorded live on 12.02.1964 at the Philharmonic, NYC.

For me the best live Jazz record I have heard so far,  a great band featuring Herbie Hancock, George Coleman, Ron Carter and the then 19 year old Tony Williams deliver a stunning performance but it is Miles himself who is absolutely top drawer.  

Available on Tidal, Quboz, Spotify, Apple Music and also You Tube.

Stunning album , great playing no doubt.

As a live album Shelly Manne at the Black Hawk takes some beating.

Best debut album  ? - Herbie Hancock Takin Off

Posted on: 23 June 2018 by AndyP19

Page forward 10 years and Miles is live in New York at Carnegie Hall but in a totally different universe. 

Posted on: 23 June 2018 by dave4jazz

Back to the album under discussion...

Probably one of the first Miles Davis albums I bought (was it really all those years ago!?!)

Miles' intro, on the title track, still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

George Coleman probably never played better.

Dave

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Chag...

Indeed. I am surprised no one has re-issued in 24bit. 

Chag - 

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Clive B

My favourite live jazz album is Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby, recorded at the Village Vanguard. The atmosphere of the small club venue is so well captured in the recording - it really feels like you're there in the moment. 

Second best? Sunday at the Village Vanguard, recorded on the same day.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Bob the Builder

My Funny Valentine was a benefit concert for the NAACP and Congress For Racial Equality and according to Herbie Hancock until they had heard the recording they believed they had played quite badly especially the faster tracks on the second release from thae concert. 

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Bob_B

Miles Davis Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-64 vinyl version on Mosaic Records is worth looking for. Sadly, long OOP.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Bob the Builder
Bob_B posted:

Miles Davis Complete Columbia Recordings 1963-64 vinyl version on Mosaic Records is worth looking for. Sadly, long OOP.

I wish............ 

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Bob_B

Brilliant though ‘My Funny Valentine’ and ‘Four and More’ are, if anything IMO they are bettered by his playing on the 1961 Carnegie Hall Concert. Incredible drive, fire and imagination in the playing for that concert - great Hank Mobley too. Sadly, Teo Macero only managed to record it on a mono reel rigged up last minute, otherwise it would be better known and an acknowledged masterpiece.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by kuma
nickfoss posted:Best debut album  ? - Herbie Hancock Takin Off

for me, the best all time debut album is Bill Evans Trio's 'New Jazz Conceptions'. Pity that original tape is not well preserved as Blue Note so the sound quality is less than optimal. Below are a few remastered vinyl including by Classic Records ( to the left with shitty cover printing job )

But oh.. what a content! There are no filers in this. Every tune is a gem especially Evans original tunes.

1. "I Love You" (Cole Porter) – 3:55
  2. "Five" (Bill Evans) – 4:03
  3. "I Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good)" (Duke EllingtonPaul Francis Webster) – 1:39
  4. "Conception" (George Shearing) – 4:47
  5. "Easy Living" (Leo RobinRalph Rainger) – 3:53
  6. "Displacement" (Evans) – 2:36
  7. "Speak Low" (Kurt WeillOgden Nash) – 5:10
  8. "Waltz for Debby" (Evans, Gene Lees) – 1:20
  9. "Our Delight" (Tadd Dameron) – 4:47
Posted on: 24 June 2018 by kuma

Teo Macero!

Did you watch this wonderful documentary on him and Miles? There's noone like that any more.

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bob the Builder posted:

So as promised. I will publish the album suggested for this week. I could have chosen one of the usual old albums from one of the other famous jazz giants. But I choose a young jazz giant. I think with this one, I will push some of you outside of the comfort zone. However this album takes the music of Miles Davis a step further and puts it into a modern context. It's by some called an album which represents he future of jazz. The first song on the album is a protest against brutal police behavior. Very nicely explained by Christian at a concert at North Sea Jazz. Isadora is one of the better ballads of the last years.......

Received a well deserved 5 star review by Chris May from AllAboutJazz

Trumpeter Christian Scott started raising expectations in 2006, with Rewind That (Concord), and hit the spot again in 2007 and 2008. Those earlier promises of greatness are clinched by Yesterday You Said Tomorrow. Scott's fourth Concord album is a gym-ripped amalgam of edgy jazz, hip hop and rock rhythms, off-kilter ostinatos, intimate rhapsodies and full-on passions, all welded together by the New Orleans-born player's alternately caressing and searing horn, and by his most tightly focused band to date.

Scott's very modern approach to jazz gains added weight from the album's close embrace of the stylists of the mid- to late-1960s. References to trumpeter Miles Davis

Miles Davis
1926 - 1991
trumpet
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Miles Davis' second quintet, saxophonist John Coltrane
John Coltrane
1926 - 1967
saxophone
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">John Coltrane's classic quartet and bassist Charles Mingus
Charles Mingus
1922 - 1979
bass, acoustic
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Charles Mingus' contemporaneous bands abound. As though to emphasise the provenance, the album was co-produced by the veteran Blue Note engineer, Rudy Van Gelder
Rudy Van Gelder
1924 - 2016
producer
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Rudy Van Gelder, in whose studio it was recorded.

Other 1960s resonances can be heard: the electric acid blues of Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix
1942 - 1970
guitar, electric
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Jimi Hendrix (guitarist Matthew Stevens is also adept in fluid, Pat Metheny
Pat Metheny
b.1954
guitar
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Pat Metheny-like lyricism), and, though Yesterday You Said Tomorrow is an instrumental album, the protest movement led by singers such as Bob Dylan
Bob Dylan
b.1941
vocalist
" data-trigger="focus" title="" data-html="true" data-original-title="">Bob Dylan and Curtis Mayfield. "I wanted to create a musical backdrop," says Scott in the publicity material accompanying review copies, "that referenced everything I liked about the music of the 1960s."

Fast forward 40 years, and it's what Scott has done with the backdrop that matters. The track titles give a clue. "K.K.P.D.," the ramped-up tune which kick starts the album, has a title which stands for Klu Klux Police Department, and refers to what Scott calls the "phenomenally dark and evil" attitude of the local police toward the African-American citizens of New Orleans. "Angola, LA & The 13th Amendment," its episodic ebb and flow steered by Scott's by turns melancholy and incandescent trumpet, equates aspects of the prison system with slavery. "The American't" targets the same depressingly enduring racism referenced by "James Crow, Jr. Esq." on Live At Newport (Concord, 2008). "Jenacide" needs no explanation.

The mood endures, other than on the emollient "The Eraser" (written by Radiohead's Thom Yorke and the only non-original on the album), and two gorgeous ballads, "Isadora," from Live At Newport, and "The Last Broken Heart."

Still only 26, Scott has decades of further development to look forward to. Meanwhile, this is his first landmark album, and one to make you feel good about the future of jazz.

Track Listing: K.K.P.D.; The Eraser; After All; Isador; Angola, L.A. & The 13th Amendment; The Last Broken Heart; Jenacide; The American't; An Unending Repentance; The Roe Effect.

Personnel: Christian Scott: trumpet; Matthew Stevens: guitar; Milton Fletcher Jr.; piano; Kristopher Keith Funn: bass; Jamire Williams: drums.

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Jeroen20

Thanks for posting this one Bert. I don't know it, will check it out. 

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Bert Schurink
Jeroen20 posted:

Besides Ambrose Akinmusire one of the most prolific new trumpet players.

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by al9315

I have the 'Live at Newport' album - must confess I have not listened to it more than a couple of times - so put it on just now, 1st track 'died in Love', shades of 'In A Silent Way' ?

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Bob the Builder
Jeroen20 posted:

Thanks Bert for the new record suggestion and as first poster Jeroen20 gets to pick a record next week.                                        

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Jeroen20

Okay, I have listened to the album on Qobuz. For the most part, I like the music. This is not your typical jazz where on each song a few band members get to play a solo and show off their skill’s. This is more about the band as a whole, imo. Of course Christian (and the others) play solo’s. But is not as prominent as with bebop style jazz.

When it comes to a trumpet, I like the trumpet to have a clear tone. That’s not always the case here. You can hear sometimes a lot of ‘air’ in the tone (i’m not sure if this is the right way of describing it).

With some tracks I get an ECM feeling. Easy pace, not many notes, a theme / pattern which gets repeated a lot with small variations.

This is the first time I really listened to music from Christian Scott. Based on this album I am going to listen to some more of his music. Again, thanks for the suggestion Bert. Always nice to discover new artist / music.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Bert Schurink
Jeroen20 posted:

Okay, I have listened to the album on Qobuz. For the most part, I like the music. This is not your typical jazz where on each song a few band members get to play a solo and show off their skill’s. This is more about the band as a whole, imo. Of course Christian (and the others) play solo’s. But is not as prominent as with bebop style jazz.

When it comes to a trumpet, I like the trumpet to have a clear tone. That’s not always the case here. You can hear sometimes a lot of ‘air’ in the tone (i’m not sure if this is the right way of describing it).

With some tracks I get an ECM feeling. Easy pace, not many notes, a theme / pattern which gets repeated a lot with small variations.

This is the first time I really listened to music from Christian Scott. Based on this album I am going to listen to some more of his music. Again, thanks for the suggestion Bert. Always nice to discover new artist / music.

The next one I would suggest is a more energetic, violent playing. Best to listen to in one complete session....

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by AndyP19

Bert great choice (Yesterday you said Tomorrow) new one for me. I love the breathy horn playing. Reminds me of Arve Henriksen with a bit more verve.