J S Bach. Help!

Posted by: Mike1951 on 24 June 2018

Being a classical music "I don't know much about it but I know what I like" sort of bloke, I've been looking around on Tidal for versions of stuff I'm familiar with and building a library but I've hit a problem with one particular piece.

I've discovered Peter Hurford's rendition of Bach's 'Toccata and Fugue in D minor' and of the versions available on Tidal,  the Decca has an earth-shaking bass end but choked and forward nasal mid and little treble detail or feel of space.

The other two offerings are superb recordings but obviously on an instrument that doesn't carry the same massive bass pipes as that on the Decca.

Can anybody recommend a version of the 'Tocc' in Dm' that ticks the following boxes?

A dramatic interpretation.

A clear and atmospheric recording quality.

Earth-swallowing bass.

I'd be ever so greatful!   ????

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Erich

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Listen to all you can find and get recommended here, and then listen to Ton Koopman.

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Jeroen20

+1 for Ton Koopman. 

Posted on: 24 June 2018 by Mike1951

Hmm. Thanks guys, but I'm sticking with the  Warner Classics 'bass-lite' Hurford for now.

Do keep 'em coming, though.

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y
Mike1951 posted:

Hmm. Thanks guys, but I'm sticking with the  Warner Classics 'bass-lite' Hurford for now.

Do keep 'em coming, though.

Mike, I'll give a more elaborate reply later. It is actually a complex question you asked - and I need to divide time between many things today.

Posted on: 25 June 2018 by Mike1951

No worries.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Mike1951

Found a version by 'Ales Barta' on 'Exton'!????

Pretty much ticks all three boxes for me...

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Mike sorry for the delay.

The nice thing of the piece is that it is always good, even when it is played on a small organ or even a different instrument like a harpsichord or piano.

This is what happened to me:

When I was kid, my father played the toccata and fuga often. When you grow up in an environment having much organ music, various versions of the famous piece come along during life. I would not be surprised if I've listened to 50+ different versions. And to my ears, they mostly share the same interpretation. A bit of a difference in the organ being used, and all a kind of Bach-isch or romantic interpretation.

Then I heared Ton Koopman playing the piece. Being educated in harpsichord and organ (got my bachelor degree) I recognized that he applied much more a mid-baroque interpretation to the piece. It is Stylus Phantasticus what you hear, allowing the organist much more freedom in the Toccata and the concluding recitativo.

I don't know if there is a proper recording of the piece (there are details in the description which belongs to the next video), but this comes most close to what is actually written in the oldest manuscript:

You hear a different pitch in comparison to other recordings, since Ton actually choose the right organ to play the piece on.

I use to play the piece on St. Sylvester (31 dec) in my church.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Allan Milne

My vote goes to

J.S. Bach The Four Great Toccatas & Fugues

by E. Power Biggs

Allan

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Wugged Woy

Well done chaps on providing ideas. A copy of this is now flying its way from 'South America' to Chez WW 

Oeuvres pour orgue Vol.4

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Bert Schurink

I like this one, but not sure if it has all your boxes..., Cameron Carpenter I belief has also a version...