Home Computer sound query

Posted by: Tabby cat on 26 June 2018

In my study at home I have a Medion desktop computer with the audio output going directly into a Audiolab 8000 P poweramp useing a 3.5 mm - 2 phono socket lead into small Goodmans micro system speakers.It sounds fine - Very listenable for working on the p.c.

I have tried 2 intergrated amps that I have in the cupboard a Denon PMA 250 SE and a  NAD 3020 A as I wanted another couple of inputs.With both intergrated's  they seem to pick noise from the broadband.I am just curious why this should be.And why the sound is noiseless with the Audiolab

Can the techy people here advise......Simon ......Huge.....anyone ?

Thanks for any comments

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by TOBYJUG

Guessing that the Audiolab has a similar limited bandwidth as Naim, in limiting upper KHertz up to the twenties - whereas the others higher high bandwidth might let that noise through.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Tabby cat

Not sure about the Audiolab bandwith Toby.

The output of the p.c would be a variable out put and would be the preamp stage going to the audiolab.Just a bit baffled why the intergrated's  pick up modem noise.

Thanks for replying

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Innocent Bystander

Maybe relevant questions are: what does it sound like? And: why do you attribute it to being noise ‘from the broadband’, which I take to mean something to do with your internet connection?

The integrated’s preamp inputs have a higher sensitivity than Audiolab power amp - so presumably the computer output level is set lower for the integrated, which is then amplifying more any noise in the computer output that is not also reduced by the lower output level setting. That is one possible explanation.

If it is RFI from the computer causing the noise, it may also be related to the electrical characteristics of the two amps’ inputs, e,g. impedance, capacitance, any RF filtering they may apply.

Posted on: 26 June 2018 by Tabby cat

IB,

Thanks for replying - with the output to the intergrated you can here background noise from the router,but output to the poweramp its totally silent.

I think you are probably right maybe the input of the intergrated's are more sensititive - I am just curious why this should be.

Perfectly happy with the performance with the Audiolab though - thought I would post this here in the padded cell as it's not useing a DAC etc so not really Hi Fi corner material,nor streaming audio