Ripping Copy Protected CDs

Posted by: Guinnless on 28 June 2018

Just bought a copy of Norah Jones - Feels Like Home only to discover it has 'copy protection' so I've had to rip it in burst mode on EAC. I'm assuming that the burst mode rip is probably fine? 

How do they encode the disc to play fine on a CD player (or does it?) but cause rippers/copiers such a headache?

Posted on: 28 June 2018 by joerand

Just Google (or use your preferred search engine) your topic line and you'll find all the answers you could ever want.

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by audio1946

copy to blank cd on pc  ,then rip this onto your server 

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Or alternatively many so called ‘copy protected’ CDs do not conform to Red Book and therefore may not play in compliant in conformant CD players.. get your money back. This happened to me once, CD didn’t play on my Arcam CD player... and wouldn’t rip, but would play in car... I demanded a refund for faulty goods.. and I got it. If you really want it and you can’t play with your audio equipment, buy a lossless download, and burn to your own CD.....

these so called CDs use many tricks that corrupt the structure of the CD... lesser transports do what they can and they might only have rudimentary recovery mechanisms and so play and read the discs with possibly some errors.. more advanced capable  transports tend to see the discs more clearly for what they are as corrupt Red Book  and therefore reject and not read them... as I say get your money back unless it was made clear to you at point of sale that these were not official Audio Compact Discs... 

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by feeling_zen
audio1946 posted:

copy to blank cd on pc  ,then rip this onto your server 

That's likely to be a lossy transfer. Redbook is digital but not stored as files on disc. I have the same album and it ripped in secure mode fine.

Burst mode is definately prone to be less accurate but they key is whether it results in saying all tracks were ripped accurately. If so, then even with burst mode, you got a bit perfect rip.

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Rich 1

Have a look at this old thread < https://forums.naimaudio.com/t...39992050705&nc=1 >. Replies are quite interesting. Rich 

Hi again, I have successfully recorded 'Feels Like Home' and other Nora Jones CD's using the Core. I notice that it has an Internet connection to Band Link embedded in the CD, I suspect this is your issue rather than copy protection, just a thought. Let the community know how you get on. Rich

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Dungassin

I have this same CD.  IIRC, I had problems ripping it.  I use dBpoweramp.  Failed to rip using my Apple drive, but successfully ripped using a LG GE24NU21 drive which I keep specifically for these 'diffficult' CDs.

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by TallGuy

Best to return it and ask for a genuine CD if it’s new  (Philips won a court case to make manufacturers remove the CD Digital Audio badge from copy protected discs so if it was sold as a CD there are laws in your favour. Even if the badge isn’t on the disk/packaging it was probably in the CD section in the shop. Thankfully discs don’t seem to be subject to these deliberate faults anymore. In the UK the tide turned when VW stood their ground and said their players were compliant and the disks were at fault when the media picked up on a spate of “My VW  CD player can’t play beyond track 1” complaints.  The Sony rootkit issue was a double whammy that finally seemed to  kill off copy protection)

Assuming return isn’t feasible, the easiest method is probably to rip to Apple lossless using iTunes which ignores the copy protection and just rips (source- dbPoweramp web pages). Then convert from Apple lossless to flac using whichever converter you have (or leave as Apple lossless). I use dbPoweramp to do the conversion. There may still be audiable errors after the iTunes rip - they just don’t get flagged up and stop the rip  

dbPoweramp might be able to rip if you change the settings away from secure mode, but while it’s likely to finish it will contain the deliberately included errors  that are part of the copy protection scheme. These may be audible. 

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Richard Dane

Be careful with relying on iTunes to reliably rip copy-protected discs.  I thought it had successfully ripped some Archive imports with copy protection, but when I came to play them they played with awful tearing distortion to the sound.  Trying other methods resulted in a huge number of uncorrectable errors before it had even finished the first track.

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Guinnless
Rich 1 posted:

Hi again, I have successfully recorded 'Feels Like Home' and other Nora Jones CD's using the Core. I notice that it has an Internet connection to Band Link embedded in the CD, I suspect this is your issue rather than copy protection, just a thought. Let the community know how you get on. Rich

It does state on the cover that it has copy protection.  "Copy Controlled TM"
EMI 724359095226

Thanks for all the replies.  Don't worry Richard I've disliked Apple since the Apple II so no iTunes.

I'll add look into it in a bit more depth once I've finished work for the day.  And report back.

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by sjbabbey

When I purchased a "Copy controlled" boxset I used the following method to get a secure
audio rip.

I inserted the disc into my CD/DVD drive and used the Read command in ImgBurn (freeware) which produced an AUDIO.BIN (binary) file plus a cue file from the disc. The cue file can be opened in your text editor program e.g. notepad.  You will see there that the copy protected disc contains 2 sessions. Delete the REM SESSION 02 and its INDEX data and save the cue file.

You can then use ImgBurn's "Write" command to burn a new blank CD using the cue file as your source. Once you've done this you should then be able to obtain a secure rip of the copied CD.

sjbabbey posted:

When I purchased a "Copy controlled" boxset I used the following method to get a secure
audio rip.

I inserted the disc into my CD/DVD drive and used the Read command in ImgBurn (freeware) which produced an AUDIO.BIN (binary) file plus a cue file from the disc. The cue file can be opened in your text editor program e.g. notepad.  You will see there that the copy protected disc contains 2 sessions. Delete the REM SESSION 02 and its INDEX data and save the cue file.

You can then use ImgBurn's "Write" command to burn a new blank CD using the cue file as your source. Once you've done this you should then be able to obtain a secure rip of the copied CD.

Ooh that's interesting.  As it was a s/h CD that only cost a couple of quid I was just going to purchase a lossless download from Qobuz but I'm going to give this a whirl. 

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Michael

I have a USA pressing of this album on CD and had no problems with it. 

EMI Blue Note 724358 480009

Ah, my version is Parlophone, 07243 598366 0 7, I think there're part of EMI. No mention of copy protected though. Sorry I was no help. Rich 

Guinnless posted:
sjbabbey posted:

audio rip.

Ooh that's interesting.  As it was a s/h CD that only cost a couple of quid I was just going to purchase a lossless download from Qobuz but I'm going to give this a whirl. 

Thanks sjbabbey

This worked a treat.  Unsurprisingly, Accurate Rip couldn't find a match but the confidence value (35) was enough to suggest all was well.  And EAC reported no errors.
My copy of Dido - Life For Rent has also now been ripped properly.

It'll be interesting to play the copy (TDK) on the CD5XS and see how it compares to the original.

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk
Rich 1 posted:

Ah, my version is Parlophone, 07243 598366 0 7, I think there're part of EMI. No mention of copy protected though. Sorry I was no help. Rich 

The key thing to look for is the genuine Digital Audio Compat Disc logo... If this is present then the disc can not be legally copy protected where this protection uses a disc corruption technique... ie the disc may not be playable. So in the UK at least demand your money back.. and if you get hassle I am sure trading standards would like to hear from you....

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by sjbabbey

Guinnless

Glad I could help.

I bought a used copy of Tangerine Dream’s 6 CD Tangents boxset which had been remastered in 2004 and was copy protected unlike the original 1994 version so was thankful I came across this method so I could rip it for streaming.

Posted on: 29 June 2018 by Peter1480

Exact Audio Copy will rip most discs including Norah Jones, Feels Like Home, the most difficult is Staind, Shades of grey for which you need a bluray drive in your pc. But google will give you the answer as someone has almost always been there before you.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by LeisureHat
Guinnless posted:

Just bought a copy of Norah Jones - Feels Like Home only to discover it has 'copy protection' so I've had to rip it in burst mode on EAC. I'm assuming that the burst mode rip is probably fine? 

How do they encode the disc to play fine on a CD player (or does it?) but cause rippers/copiers such a headache?

Years ago I bought a copy of Blue Nile's High CD and that had been initially released with copy protection by accident.