Advice required re: the N-Vi's picture resolution & DVD-Audio decoding resolution.

Posted by: vintageaxeman on 30 June 2018

A few questions about the Naim N-Vi.

1. I know that some DVD-Audio players which claim to be 96kHz actually only put out 48kHz data. Does anyone know definitively whether the N-Vi plays DVD-Audio discs at the full 96kHz, or whether it only plays (or even downsamples) to 48kHz? Thank you.

2. Can the N-Vi be used as a DAC by connecting an external digital device to one of its digital inputs? If so, what does the DAC decode the signal at? 48 or 96kHz, please?

3. Regarding screen resolution....The picture through my 1080 monitor seems to be grainy. I am therefore assuming that things are running at low resolution, but I'm not sure if it's the monitor's settings or the N-Vi's settings which may need changing.  I did read an early review of the N-Vi which talked about a forthcoming optional upgrade being available which would raise the N-Vi's performance to 720 or 1080. How can I tell if my N-Vi has this capability installed, please?

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Posted on: 30 June 2018 by Consciousmess

Can’t comment on your questions, but do own and use an nVi. Great machine. My advice, use the preorder - minimum a NAP200, but a NAP250 and up raises the bass and control much more.

it would act as a DAC due its digital input and analogue out.

I don’t think the video out is HD, but using the nVi as a 5.1 professor and amp is very worthwhile. I run it with the second to top Naim heirarchy and I never feel the need to upgrade the nVi.

Gorgeous Naim piece. And with Virgin, the signal never unlocks!!

Posted on: 30 June 2018 by Richard Dane

The n-Vi is standard resolution (i.e. 480p or 576p depending on source) but progressive scan on the analog BNC component and digital DVI outputs.  If you use a 1080 monitor then picture quality will very much depend on the quality of the monitor's upscaling ability. 

The n-Vi DAC uses a Burr-Brown Multichannel 24bit 192kHz capable chipset.  You can connect digital devices to it via either optical or coaxial s/pdif.  Optical is usually limited to 24/96, but coaxial is good up to 24/192.

As for the Digital output, I believe that the DVD Forum had an agreement to limit this to 48kHz.  

Posted on: 30 June 2018 by vintageaxeman

Thanks Richard and Consciousmess.

Until this week, I have had a non-Naim CD transport with its digital output linked to a dCS upsampler, which then feeds a Naim DAC. After that, it is all top flight ATC...the SCA2 preamp, and SCM150ASLT active speakers.  It has been a reliable and great sound.

I have sometimes fed the Naim DAC with other digital signals, from my MacBook Pro, a Panasonic BluRay player, etc.

I also have, in my lounge, an AV2 and NAP175 and 150X on AV duties, with their own set of speakers.

However, I am in the process of dismantling the system due to the imminent change to a Naim CD555 + 555PS. This clearly will give me a huge leg up in CD sound quality, but doesn't give me much flexibility.

I can't afford to keep the Naim DAC, so it's being traded in.  That's why I'm hoping that a recently cheaply acquired and now repaired N-Vi will provide me with a workable DAC as well as the facility to play a number of DVD-Audio and ordinary music-based DVD discs that I have got my grubby hands on, just through my music only stereo system for the best quality reproduction. And it sounds like it will do just that from what you both say.

Any further thoughts? Cheers!

Posted on: 30 June 2018 by vintageaxeman

Oh, the other thing...if you please!...if i build I DIY Raspberry Pi based unit, I should be able to control it through my iPad and send it into my system through the N-Vi's DAC, I presume?

Posted on: 30 June 2018 by Consciousmess

I think so. Not an expert, but if there’s a digital in and an analogue out, all you need is going on. You have lots of scope with the nVi as you embed it into your system more.  For example, I’m going to utilise the nVi digital in and digital out by inputting cable TV to the nVi that’s in stereo I:e. 2.0 sound and output to my nDAC in 2.0 so I get better fidelity for TV not in 5.1 (documentaries on e:g. Bob Dylan). 

The nVi offers so much to you.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Richard Dane

There is a problem with using an n-Vi like this.  For one thing, it doesn't have an analogue line output.  There is a pre-out (weirdly on a 180 degree DIN5 which requires a rather rare Naim i/c - see FAQ) but that's for feeding a Naim power amp directly.