Best film/movie ever

Posted by: Alley Cat on 01 July 2018

There are many movies I absolutely love, but one eclipses them all, for so many reasons, this has beauty, ticks virtually any box you'd empathise with and has an utterly fantastic musical score.

Truly, I think the best movie ever made:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325710/

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Alley Cat

... and I don't actually care if anyone thinks it's crap so long as someone who can enjoy it's beauty does.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by seakayaker

For me, my favorite movie is ......

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Fell in love with it as a kid, and love it with each subsequent viewing......

The director, David Lean, also directed my 2nd favorite movie which is ........

Quite a few of my favorite movies seem to be from the 50's & 60's which seemed to be larger then life in scale.....

.....and btw I enjoyed 'The Last Samurai' quite a bit.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by thebigfredc

Pulp Fiction.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by joerand

"Saving Private Ryan" as best film ever. "The Outlaw Josey Wales" as my personal favorite.

Great choice above Fred. Thanks for simply stating the title rather than posting a nameless link .

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Bob the Builder

I cannot really pick a favourite but right up there would would have be The Godfather II,  Midnight Cowboy  and more recently  Sicaro was a fantastic movie of which a sequel has been made I believe and because I love a good Horror A Quiet Place had me on the edge of my seat recently.

Secrets and Lies would be my favourite British film and my favourite International film is probably be Croucing Tiger Hidden Dragon.

It's a bit like choosing a favourite record I could probably name another 20.

Posted on: 01 July 2018 by Kiwi cat

Another vote for ”Saving Private Ryan” best ever war movie

Also “The Seven Samurai” beautifully shot and very influential movie.

The Wizard of Oz was seen by me at age 8 , and I thought at the time it was the best movie I had ever seen. I admire it still.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

All these lists are very personal. I make no attempt to say my list are the best movies, they are just some of my favourites. I'll wager there is minimal overlap of any of our lists.

Lost in Translation and Fargo my top two. I basically know the script of both.

Moonrise Kingdom, There Will Be Blood, LA Confidential, Goodfellas, Le Quattro Volte and various others are close behind.

Must admit I think Saving Private Ryan is amazing for 30mins then pretty clichéd Hollywood fare. I can think of a number of war movies I find far more affecting. I'd rate Dunkirk as more emotional for starters-although flawed. The Thin Red Line as visceral, and Das Boot would probably be the most compelling and complete for me.

Bruce

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Karl

Police Academy 4

Karl

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Ardbeg10y

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

This is why:

A friend of mine had severe mental problems for which he had to go to psychiatric hospital (he stayed almost a year there - full time). I always try to find something appropriate, so the evening before I brought the movie and we watched it. The next day I brought my friend to the hospital - during that ride we listened Mozarts 'Requiem'.

Looking backwards it was more than toying with fire, which I did not realize by the time.

It was and still is a more great movie.

Without this personal connotation I would follow Bob and choose The Godfather. Rarely people realize that the music is great in that movie, especially Bach's Passacaglia & Fugue for Organ in the Baptism Scene.

Long live Bach.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Jeff Anderson

Loved "Saving Private Ryan" and saw it in a huge theatre with an amazing sound system.  Seems like we could hear the rumbling tanks in the back and sides of the theatre for ten minutes before they showed up on screen.  I knew the sound well because every Saturday when I was a child our local National Guard unit, located 4 miles from our house, would fire-up 5 or so tanks and travel the road past our house on their way to "practice grounds" in a river valley about three miles past our house.  Then we could hear the concussive sounds of the shots being fired before the rumbling returned along the reverse route. Us kids would stand at the street curb as they passed waving small American flags.  When I was about 12 yoa, the plaster fell off our living room ceiling from the weekend vibrations for so many years.

When I want to re-watch a favorite movie it is usually "Shadowlands" with Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger or "The End Of The Affair" with Ralph Fiennes and Juluanne Moore.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Gianluigi Mazzorana

Hundreds?

Gianluigi Mazzorana posted:

Hundreds?

Hi Gian, I don't understand your post, or whether it is a response to mine.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Kevin-W
Karl posted:

Police Academy 4

Karl

Rubbish! PA8 is better and you know it!

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Robert Burgess

Braveheart !!

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Christopher_M

The Man in The White Suit

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Pev

Another vote for "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" for best film overall.

Best music film: Festival Express

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Phil Harris

I really like "Mad Dog and Glory" ... Robert DeNiro, Uma Thurman and Bill Murrey.

Phil

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Eoink

Casablanca, stirring and sweet in equal measures, Bogart and Bergman were born to play Rick and Ilsa.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by seakayaker
seakayaker posted:

For me, my favorite movie is ......

Fell in love with it as a kid, and love it with each subsequent viewing......

The director, David Lean, also directed my 2nd favorite movie which is ........

Quite a few of my favorite movies seem to be from the 50's & 60's which seemed to be larger then life in scale.....

.....and btw I enjoyed 'The Last Samurai' quite a bit.

Hovering   over the 'Nameless' links above would reveal "Lawrence of Arabia" & "The Bridge Over River Kwai."

Loved the epic films that were so long they put intermission breaks when shown at the movie theater.  

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Tony2011

De Sica’s Bicycle Thieves. Left a huge impression on the mind of young Tony, back in the mid seventies, when he was a teenager looking  for the meaning of life. The cinematography is just outstanding. 

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by Florestan

Things change.  I used to like a great number of films (and TV shows and music) but suddenly I became aware of the Hollywood elites and similar and what values they espouse off the screen or in some speech at an awards ceremony etc (stick to acting please !).  I can't accept this in my home or pay money to support these characters.   Given what many of them say and promote now I simply cannot stomach watching these same stars in their movies.  So, gone is anything with Meryl Streep, Robert DeNiro, Johnny Depp and so on.

In the spirit of 'ignorance is bliss' I will mention a handful of films that I still enjoy (and am hoping I never find out about the various actors/actresses and what they stand for ;-)  )   As ARDBEG10Y hinted, music is the central ticket for me regarding whether a movie is a winner or not followed closely by the visual aspect and beauty.

- Double Life of Veronique
 - Red, White, Blue Trilogy
 - My Mother's Castle | My Father's Glory
 - Manon of the Spring
 - Jean de Florette
 - Wings of Desire
 - Un coeur en Hiver

Florestan posted:

- Red, White, Blue Trilogy
 -

Great, great trilogy.  I had forgotten about that.  Time for a re-watch.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by MDS

I'd like to offer:

The Searchers - JW's best role in my view, and my favourite Western

The Matrix - wonderful story, skilfully told and ground-breaking special effects. Sound-track superb, too. 

Pulp Fiction - each story cleverly developed and then intersected. Memorable dialogue and sound-track. A classic.

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by TK421

I cannot narrow it down to just one, but I do always enjoy watching:

Catch me if you can

Django Unchained - Christoph Waltz is absolutely first class

oh and Star Wars mostly because I'm in it!

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by French Rooster

Mr Bean, the best film of all times.