Tour De France 2018

Posted by: Tabby cat on 02 July 2018

Who is everyone routing for on this years tour ?

Just got the news this morning that Chris Froome will be riding it as the UCI are dropping his doping enquiry.

I would love to see Chris Froome win it again and Peter Sagan win the Green Jersey

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/10/17/1/tourdefrance2018_1_670.jpg

Posted on: 02 July 2018 by stuart.ashen

Seconded!

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by joerand

Yes, it's that time of year isn't it? I did some peeking-in on the Tour of California, Pairs-Roubaix, and Giro. Not much cycling coverage or enthusiasm here for US viewers. 

I enjoy rooting for Richie Porte, hope he can stay upright. Wouldn't it be interesting to see Geraint Thomas become uncloaked from Froome's services. G might be F's greatest contender.

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

I suppose I'm glad Froome has settled his case even though I'm not sure I fully understand the conclusions. The timing is  rather convenient though and surely betrays an element of 'politics' if nothing else. All makes me a bit uncomfy.

Having said that his performance in the Vuelta was genuinely special, and in recent years I think he has shown himself to be more of a racer than just the spearhead of a Sky 'machine'. I'd love to see G given his head but cannot see that happening unless Froome crashes out early-suspect like Porte he's got to move team for his chance. Porte has always seemed a really nice guy, and a rather unlucky rider too so I'll be rooting for him this year.

I wonder how Froome will be received in France?

Bruce

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by Dozey

Hope Cav can win a couple of stages.

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by winkyincanada

I can't get behind Froome. He's on my villain list. I'd like to see Sagan do well to make up for last year's "travesty". TD for the yellow, I guess, but to be honest I don't care much.

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

I am of course hoping to see Tom Dumoulin win. I am not sure what to think about this Froome case...., but I guess it will be an enjoyable race....

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by winkyincanada
Bert Schurink posted:

I am of course hoping to see Tom Dumoulin win. I am not sure what to think about this Froome case...., but I guess it will be an enjoyable race....

Why Dumoulin?

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by JamieWednesday

Froome for five.

He has no case to answer.

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by joerand
winkyincanada posted:

I'd like to see Sagan do well to make up for last year's "travesty". 

Agree, Sagan was shafted by last year's decision. He's definitely the rock star of the tour and I enjoy his spirit along with Cav's. I'd enjoy seeing Cav add to his stage wins tally and challenge Merckx's 34. Certainly makes the race within the race more exciting.

Posted on: 03 July 2018 by Tabby cat

Sagan won the Slovakian national road race title a couple of weeks ago for the sixth time and road away after 70 km and did the remaining 150 km on his own treating the race as a training ride.Hes such a strong classic - sprinter rider.Hes got a huge engine in terms of his power output.

As Jo says the green jersey competition will be tasty as Cav will be looking to equal or best Mercx' s record.

It will be interesting to see how the French public react to Froome especially in the mountains.Hope they cut him a some slack.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse
Tabby cat posted:

It will be interesting to see how the French public react to Froome especially in the mountains.Hope they cut him a some slack.

...or just chuck urine at him.

Surely Cav's last TdF? Fine rider that he has been can he really still win at this level?

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by Tabby cat

Bruce,

I think Cav has got a few more stage wins in his legs.If hes fully fit going into the tour I think he can deliver.Not sure but i think hes up to 26 stage wins now ?

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by winkyincanada

They go up this beauty again this year, 3.2km at a bit over 8%.....

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Alpe d'huez. Always special.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by winkyincanada
Ardbeg10y posted:

That's not Alpe d'huez. It is earlier in the day on that stage, though.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by fatcat
joerand posted:
winkyincanada posted:

I'd like to see Sagan do well to make up for last year's "travesty". 

Agree, Sagan was shafted by last year's decision. He's definitely the rock star of the tour

It's hard to know if the term "rock star" is a compliment.

I'd say he's a twerp.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by joerand
fatcat posted:

It's hard to know if the term "rock star" is a compliment.

I'd say he's a twerp.

I did say in my following sentence that I enjoy his spirit. As far as calling Sagan a twerp, that's a perfectly valid opinion and I suspect a portion of the fuel that feeds Peter's engine. I'd love to see him pull a wheelie across a stage win this year.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by joerand
Tabby cat posted:

I think Cav has got a few more stage wins in his legs.If hes fully fit going into the tour I think he can deliver.Not sure but i think hes up to 26 stage wins now ?

30 stage wins for Cav. Four behind Eddy. I believe Merckx got his final TDF stage win at age 30. Cav is now 33-years-old.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by Tabby cat

Thanks for that Joe,

Like wise liked your Sagan comments,I can understand why some people think he's a bit of a twerp,but I think we need more characters like him in the peloton.Never since Mario Chipollini have I seen a rider who excudes so much charisma and can back it up with winning classics like Paris Roubaix which Mario Chipollini has never won.

What I really like about Sagan he is very humble in his post race interviews.A couple of years ago at  the Tour of Dubai  I think he had made the podium all week with one 2 nd  and a couple of thirds.On the last day he got 2 nd again and was asked " 2 nd again Peter "and he replied"  2 nd is good,I am going home now to my wife she's number 1".I thought that was brilliant as this winning is all that matters mentality in sport which is true but it was nice having a rider who sees a 2 nd or third as a good ride.

Anyway less Rock star for Peter this season as the hair has been cut....beard still there though..... looking forward to seeing how his tour pans out with stage wins and the Green jersey competition.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Tabby cat

Today's Stage ( Stage 1 )

1) Fernanado Gavira

2) Peter Sagan

3) Marcel Kittel

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/7AE6/production/_102426413_gaviria_getty.jpg

Froome got caught in a crash with 10 km remaining and was booed by spectators watching on a giant screen at the finishing line as they watched the crash .So that was a bit of a test on how the French public are receiving him.There does seem to be a huge amount of cynicism directed at him.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Clive B
winkyincanada posted:
Ardbeg10y posted:

That's not Alpe d'huez. It is earlier in the day on that stage, though.

It's the Lacets de Montvernier, which I rode a couple of years ago. It's a lot shorter than the Alpe - the distance between the bends is so short that it seems you're forever turning. Tremendous fun though!

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by joerand

Great opener. Love the way it throws a spanner into early race strategies. Day one, a sprint stage, and numerous favorites somehow already 1+ minutes behind. It will be fun to see how Team Sky attempts to peck away at Froome's deficit over the next week. I expect an all-out team time trial from Sky on Monday. Many stages to go.

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
joerand posted:

Great opener. Love the way it throws a spanner into early race strategies. Day one, a sprint stage, and numerous favorites somehow already 1+ minutes behind. It will be fun to see how Team Sky attempts to peck away at Froome's deficit over the next week. I expect an all-out team time trial from Sky on Monday. Many stages to go.

I expect a similar approach, great for the Tour...

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
Bert Schurink posted:
joerand posted:

I expect a similar approach, great for the Tour...

And by the way being behind and having to fight might also save him for some angry ness of supporters.

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by joerand
Bert Schurink posted:

And by the way being behind and having to fight might also save him for some angry ness of supporters.

Wishful thinking, perhaps. I can't know what it's like to have urine thrown in my face, but Lance certainly seemed to feed off the negativity. Sacrilege to mention the 'L-word' here? I'd never put Froome in the same vein as Lance, but silly as it seems his detractors will now feel vindicated to do so, justified or not.