Thailand Cave Rescue

Posted by: aznblue on 04 July 2018

Been following the rescue efforts underway of the young soccer team and coach stranded in the Thailand cave complex. They were miraculously found by a team of cave divers from the UK, considered the best in the world. They averted the media and dived straight away upon landing. Their commendable efforts worth mentioning. I pray for the team's safe return.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by Alley Cat

Yes, we should be very proud of these and many other altruistic individuals around in rescue services around the world.

I do wonder if there is anything more industrial that the major global players could contribute here  - for example, would the US perhaps have better pumping equipment than the Thai government/military, say after experience with Hurricane Katrina in the US - perhaps not, but I've not heard any countries officially offering assistance to the Thai government.

Posted on: 04 July 2018 by cat345
Alley Cat posted:

Yes, we should be very proud of these and many other altruistic individuals around in rescue services around the world.

I do wonder if there is anything more industrial that the major global players could contribute here  - for example, would the US perhaps have better pumping equipment than the Thai government/military, say after experience with Hurricane Katrina in the US - perhaps not, but I've not heard any countries officially offering assistance to the Thai government.

I wonder if the elected for life Xi is aware of this. China who wants to be the major global player is right around the corner and could provide all the equipment needed. No? Why should it be the US providing the help again?

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by JamieWednesday

From The Press:

“The boys were located by a team of British divers who worked closely with Thai navy SEALs and teams from around the world, including the US military, Australian federal police, Japanese and Chinese technicians.”

Seems to be an international effort...

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by tonym

The lads from the Derbyshire Cave Diving Group who discovered the boys are the best there are at rescues involving diving. A lot of that's down to the nature of British caves, which tend to be tight, muddy and very cold, with practically zero visibility underwater, unlike the large flooded passages with gin-clear water you get in the States and Asia. The lads carefully avoided the press, because they, like the rest of us who are either cavers or who used to cave, have had so many negative experiences with the b*ggers it's best not to tell them anything.

It's probably impractical to pump out the cave system to the degree necessary to enable the trapped boys to escape without diving. Looks like the cave system has a very large catchment area, with a considerable volume of water flowing.

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by Christopher_M

Sad news on the radio this morning about the death of Thai rescue diver, petty officer Saman Gunan. I salute him for his altruism and bravery.

PO Gunan's death puts the task ahead for the rest of group into sharp relief. I wish them well.

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by Peder

????????First two members of Thai soccer team are OUT of the cave......???????????????????????????? 

https://dailym.ai/2KYpuu3

-----------------------------------------------------------

Amazing news,hope everyone comes out alive.
Gives a thought to the diver,former ?Thai Navy Seal Saman Kunan?...who tragically died when he tried to save the young guys.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by TOBYJUG

I am very sorry if I'm out of order, but can any one explain to me why they where down there in the first place ?    I don't really understand this News piece regarding this lost vital information.

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by Skip
TOBYJUG posted:

I am very sorry if I'm out of order, but can any one explain to me why they where down there in the first place ?    I don't really understand this News piece regarding this lost vital information.

I have been wondering this myself.   A group of kids with no supplies, no gear, no experience, no plan, and no leadership.  Just crazy irresponsible.

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by Alley Cat
cat345 posted:
Alley Cat posted:

I wonder if the elected for life Xi is aware of this. China who wants to be the major global player is right around the corner and could provide all the equipment needed. No? Why should it be the US providing the help again?

Very true, just could see it being seen a a great humanitarian gesture from Donald who seems to get little good press!

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by aznblue
TOBYJUG posted:

I read that the group ventured deep inside to write their names on the walls as part of a team initiation, having explored the cavern several times. There are warnings posted not to enter during the rainy season. It seems reckless but I’m sure many of us have done crazy things when we were younger. Not that I want to be in the same predicament but I wish my children were out and exploring on their own more instead of being inside and attached to their electronics. Godspeed to the international team of divers that everyone is brought out safely.

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by Christopher_M

Seriously, why the boys are down there is neither here nor there. Let the interntaional team of divers get them out.

Posted on: 09 July 2018 by fatcat

It's a bit worrying that initially it was reported that 6 children where being brought out. It's now reported 4 children have been successfully brought out of the cave.

Posted on: 09 July 2018 by tonym

They went down there for fun and the thrill of exploring in a place that's exciting and mysterious. Yes, a bit silly and irresponsible, but hands up those who haven't done something in their youth (or even when they're old farts) that's potentially hazardous but enjoyed the buzz of adrenaline? One thing's for sure - the rescuers won't be angry with these lads, they'll just be pleased to get them all out safely, which it appears they're about to do. Hooray!

Posted on: 09 July 2018 by aznblue

The same divers from the Derbyshire Cave Diving Group are involved in the rescue mission, nothing less than the best in this situation. The boys that were rescued were held by the divers underneath while they swam through the dark tunnel filled with dark and murky waters. They surely deserve an MBE.

Posted on: 09 July 2018 by sjbabbey

BBC confirming that another 4 boys have been rescued. Four others plus their coach waiting to be rescued tomorrow.

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by Christopher_M

Great news! All rescued!

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by sjbabbey

Yes great news. They're now just waiting for the last 4 rescue divers including a doctor who stayed with the boys to emerge.

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by dave marshall

A truly extraordinary effort, where the fast approaching monsoon season rendered redundant the argument to delay things .

Under immense pressure, the Thai authorities considered their options, and carefully went ahead with the rescue.

Both they, and the team of international helpers are to be congratulated on this successful outcome. 

Hopefully, the kids and their coach might just be well enough to take up the offer of attending the World Cup final, though it has to be said that, World Cup notwithstanding, the Wild Boars have been the most famous football team in the world for the last two weeks.

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by Christopher_M

Thanks SJ, that vital fact was missing from R3's lunchtime news. Hoping for the best.

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by Peder

We must not forget this hero,who gave his life to try to save the young guys.

Gives a thought to the diver, former

? Thai Navy Seal Samana Kunan ? who tragically died when he tried to save the young guys.

A tragedy in the joy that everyone is saved.

/Peder ????

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by mpw

Happy the boys are back safe. .

Sad for the diver who lost his life.. 

Bittersweet. ..

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by Alley Cat

You have to congratulate Elon Musk for attempting a mini-sub rescue option even if it was needed or deemed to be usable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44779998

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/s.../1016684366083190785