White Noise

Posted by: Minh Nguyen on 05 July 2018

A thread for random white noise.

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by Minh Nguyen

This is a snowflake as seen under an electron microscope:

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by TOBYJUG

If the speed of light is the agreed constant, where does one need to be relatively to measure it in time ?

TOBYJUG posted:

If the speed of light is the agreed constant, where does one need to be relatively to measure it in time ?

Everywhere at the same time.

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by TOBYJUG
Minh Nguyen posted:
TOBYJUG posted:

Everywhere at the same time.

Everywhere doesn't have the same time

only you looking at it is time everywhere 

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by Innocent Bystander

An electronic music album from 1969, featuring David Vorhaus and Delia Derbyshire of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. I was captivated by the sleeve back in about 1970, had a listen and bought it. Particular favourite tracks are the crazy ‘Here come the fleas’, the erotic ‘My game of loving’ and the haunting ‘The visitation’. My vinyl copy wore out, so replaced with CD, the ripped copy still getting the occasional play all these years later.

Posted on: 05 July 2018 by joerand

I've had, since age-4, chronic and constant tinnitus. A result of ear infections (so I'm told by the docs). For years running a nearby bathroom fan or in-room floor fan helped me sleep easier at night. The key was for the fan's speed to mimic the same sound I hear in my head, which somehow makes my tinnitus less a distraction. A white noise machine proved to be a better alternative. Less energy and virtually no air flow, plus the white noise machine is tunable in frequency and volume to my tinnitus' particular din.

So yeah, I'm all about the positive power of white noise. It provides a more restful night's sleep for me. No counting of sheep or fear of lions involved.

Posted on: 06 July 2018 by Minh Nguyen

Posted on: 06 July 2018 by joerand

I use the 'LectroFan. Not sure whether I'm using fan sounds or white noises, maybe a combination? Just a matter of pressing the buttons and getting it tuned to the noise in my head.

Posted on: 06 July 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Just one thought Joerand, and sorry to hear of your affection, but have looked at Pink Noise generators as opposed to White Noise.. Pink Noise is more aligned to the power density of the sensitivity of our auditory systems, ie the power is inversely proportional to frequency... therefore has more effect with our hearing compared to White Noise which is directly proportional power to frequency.. which is good for machines and engineering, but not so effective with biological systems such as us.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

To try and describe the sound differences... white noise is like 'hisssssssssss’ And pink noise is like ‘Shhhhhhhhhhhh’

S

Posted on: 06 July 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

And that should be affliction 

Posted on: 06 July 2018 by Mike-B

Hi Minh,   I was so surprised to see a poster picture that I'm very familiar with,    ...... an army of sheep led by a lion ... etc  ..........,  it was adopted by a youth group I am associated with in South Africa.  Although your poster says its an african proverb, it's widely accepted that its attributed to Alexander the Great.

Anyhow,  talking of lions,  I see on the news that 2 rhino poachers  (it might be 3 when they compare the bits of whats left)   have been killed & eaten by lions in an Eastern Cape game reserve.     Great result .... Lions-3   AK47-0 

Posted on: 06 July 2018 by Innocent Bystander

When you enter a room and unexpectedly hear white noise don’t strike a match - it may be leaking gas...!

Posted on: 06 July 2018 by tonym

SWMBO can be good at generating pink noise.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by joerand
Simon-in-Suffolk posted:

To try and describe the sound differences... white noise is like 'hisssssssssss’ And pink noise is like ‘Shhhhhhhhhhhh’

Simon, I appreciate your concern. Wiki's "white noise machine page" here pictures the "LectroFan device I use. Rave reviews for users with tinnitus. Wiki's "colors of noise page" here has several sound bites. White noise sounds like a rain shower, pink noise like a river cascade. The nearest approximation to how I have the combination of settings on my 'LectroFan is most like the brown noise sound bite, then like the grey noise.

The best sound bite I've found to mimic my tinnitus is the sound of cicadas, just at a bit higher frequency in my head. Definitely biological, but I can't decide whether this is a hissss or a shhhh.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Simon-in-Suffolk

Hi, thanks for the reply... the cicadas are a lower frequency with a band pass peak ... kind of like ‘tchhhhhhh’... I say it’s more bandpass filtered pink noise or even grey noise.... glad it works for you.. must be quite intrusive.

I hadn’t come across grey noise before, but it looks like pink noise modelled more to match the non linearity of our hearing.

Posted on: 07 July 2018 by Ardbeg10y

Bellingcat reporting here. The city on the photo is Chicago. Just outside the map, at the left bottom corner is a pub called 'The Monks Pub'. Every second Sunday evening of the month you can meet a Russian spy there, called Dmitri. He can be identified by the fact that he has a large mustache and is drinking Trappist beer - which is pretty irregular for a Russian Spy.

Posted on: 08 July 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://metro.co.uk/2017/12/20...s-got-messy-7173341/

Posted on: 20 July 2018 by TOBYJUG

Posted on: 24 July 2018 by TOBYJUG

https://www.psymposia.com/maga...ive-an-octopus-mdma/

Posted on: 16 August 2018 by TOBYJUG