Gomez - Bring it On 20th Anniversary

Posted by: Skyhigh on 09 July 2018

Wondering if anyone else is enjoying this latest reissue of the first and IMHO best album from Gomez?

I was very pleased to receive the 4 CD box set for Father's day recently.

My discovery of this band is intrinsically linked with my long standing appreciation of Naim gear. In 1999 I went to purchase a used Naim CDS player, and the seller utilised Bring it On as one of the demo discs. Having being working abroad in 1998 when Gomez broke onto the music scene I totally missed them somehow. I've loved this album every since and play it regularly. Oh - and I'm still playing it on the same CDS! 

The new box set is just superb. There is a really nice booklet detailing the history of the band, explaining how much of the first album was recorded on a 4 track compact cassette machine in a garage.

Often I find extended reissues are just padded out to justify filling multiple discs with so-so material. Not here. You get the original demo tapes, plus a BBC Radio 1 and Glastonbury live sessions plus other bits and pieces, all very interesting and enjoyable to listen to.

The remaster sounds good too.

I'm equally delighted to have booked tickets to see them live at the Tramshed in Cardiff in September.

Anyone else going to any of the anniversary tour gigs?

Posted on: 10 July 2018 by Motel Blues

I’m going to the Manchester gig. I have an early vinyl pressing of “Bring It On” (with a Mercury Award sticker on the sleeve) and the 10th Anniversary CD, which it seems like I acquired only yesterday rather than a decade ago. I have happy memories of seeing them on the “Liquid Skin”  tour at Cardiff University so looking forward to seeing them live again.