North Sea Jazz Festival 2018

Posted by: Bert Schurink on 11 July 2018

Hi all. I am very much looking forward to enjoy the festival this week Friday - Sunday. I will ensure that I publish a report of the concerts I am seeing. And I hope it will be worthwhile / enjoyable for people. As appetizer I have here the lineup video for the festival....

Posted on: 11 July 2018 by Jeroen20

Thanks in advance Bert and enjoy the festival.

Posted on: 11 July 2018 by Drikus

Nice one Bert! Can't wait for your detailed report/interview/pics of Pat Metheny .

Posted on: 11 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
Drikus posted:

Nice one Bert! Can't wait for your detailed report/interview/pics of Pat Metheny .

Yes I will definitely see Pat...

Posted on: 14 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

Will in the coming days publish the stuff of the festival. Have now some issues with publishing pictures.

Friday was a quiet and at the same time remarkable day. Highlights for me have been....

1. Charles Lloyd - amazing how this guy still plays at this age, he is also standing there as if he is 20 years younger. 

2. A surprise performance of Bill Frisell and John Surman, absolute magic.

3. The Alex Mercado Trio... - energy with lyrical playing...

Posted on: 14 July 2018 by AndyP19
Bert Schurink posted:

Friday was a quiet and at the same time remarkable day. Highlights for me have been....

1. Charles Lloyd - amazing how this guy still plays at this age, he is also standing there as if he is 20 years younger. 

2. A surprise performance of Bill Frisell and John Surman, absolute magic.

3. The Alex Mercado Trio... - energy with lyrical playing...

Bert, 

That is a real treat getting to see Bill Frisell (and John Surman).  Bill F is on the new Charles Lloyd album as is Lucinda Williams whom I adore but just didn’t think that she suited this genre. 

Enjoy the rest of the festival.

Andy

Today already the 2nd day ......, remarkable Quartet NL - as always very entertain8ng with Han Bennink, while he lost it sometimes...

Realy good Pat Metheny with a collection of some older material - what a bass player Linda Oh and of course the drummer Antonio Sanchez....

GoGo Penguin, seeing them live is a joy, it almost feels like you are on pills....

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Jeroen20

Footage from this years edition by Dutch television.

https://www.uitzendinggemist.n.../North_Sea_Jazz.html

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Bert Schurink
Jeroen20 posted:

Thanks gives me the opportunity to see some things I had to miss given overlaps....

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Drikus
Jeroen20 posted:

Pity they didn't show more jazz in the footage. Don't know why they still hold on to the "Jazz" in the name...

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Jeroen20

That is indeed a pitty. I guess the 'traditional' jazz is not populair enough.

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Gazza

I am listening to a jazz clip on u tube from this years festival, real jazz.

Drikus posted:
Jeroen20 posted:

Pity they didn't show more jazz in the footage. Don't know why they still hold on to the "Jazz" in the name...

The footage is a poor representation of the festival. It tends to focus on big soul acts. Real jazz can be seen in the smaller venues. I see 85% of Jazz during the festival.

Posted on: 15 July 2018 by Drikus

Nice! Did you see any of these in the past 2 days?;

ROY HARGROVE
STANLEY CLARKE
MARCUS MILLER
TORD GUSTAVSEN
PHILIP CATHERINE
PHAROAH SANDERS

And are any of these on your list for today?;

MATHIAS EICK
HUDSON - DEJOHNETTE / SCOFIELD / MEDESKI / COLLEY
ERIC VLOEIMANS
BILLY HART / JOSHUA REDMAN
AVISHAI COHEN
VIJAY IYER

Drikus posted:

Nice! Did you see any of these in the past 2 days?;

ROY HARGROVE
STANLEY CLARKE
MARCUS MILLER
TORD GUSTAVSEN
PHILIP CATHERINE
PHAROAH SANDERS

And are any of these on your list for today?;

MATHIAS EICK
HUDSON - DEJOHNETTE / SCOFIELD / MEDESKI / COLLEY
ERIC VLOEIMANS
BILLY HART / JOSHUA REDMAN
AVISHAI COHEN
VIJAY IYER

Past two days I only saw Philip Catherine of those ones, had conflicting concerts for the others.

Besides Avishai Cohen (his program doesn’t attract me right now), I might see them all.... looking forward to today - as it has a lot to like...

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by Jeroen20

Some more footage from this year’s festival. You’ll see clips from well know artists (Gregory Porter, Nathaniel Rateliff, Chaka Khan) but also from lesser known artist (Ezra Collective, Nubya Garcia, Robert Finley). Also check out the interesting jazz (in a good way) at about 31 minutes.

Posted on: 16 July 2018 by Bert Schurink

Had the last day quite a number of good and or interesting concerts. Matthias Eick - very Lyrical, great experience in concert. Ibrahim Malouf with Queen of Sheba, quite an experience.... , Joshua Redman and Billy Hart quite a great concert.....

and much more, I still intend to publish more with reviews and some photos in the next days...