Adding sub-forums based on products

Posted by: tmtsui on 11 July 2018

Wonder if anyone who is in-charge of this Forum has considered adding sub-forums (or sub-groups, whatever you call it) to the current structure.   

As the "topics" is building up (456 pages under Streaming Audio currently), adding sub-forums based on products would allow Naim owners finding specific questions, suggestions, discussions, tips & solutions more effective.

If changing what are in the Forum already a bit complicated, could consider starting new threads instead.    This should be healthy for future development, IMO.

Best,

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Huge

That can usually be achieved reasonably effectively using the <Advanced Search> facility, and there's no 'clean' division between the streaming products:

All of the Streamers share the same apps (Android or iOS)
The New Unitis and new streamers share a streaming platform.
The old Unitis and old streamers have a number of variations based on combinations of modules from that digital processing platform.
The Classic series streamers and the ND5 XS can be used with an external PSU, the others can't.

So topics are very often relevant to more than one product.  Chopping the forum up into individual product sub-forums (or even product series sub-forums) would complicate matters unnecessarily (also see Occam's Razor ).

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by james n

I rather like the structure. Simple, effective and easy to find what you want. Too many sub forums dilute the content too much and are not really needed for a single brand forum.

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by tmtsui

Well, a suggestion from a Core user, who is new to Naim.   

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Mike-B

100%,  KIS(S)  search works & advanced search works even better & as Huge points out there is a lot of crossover between products & it begs simplicity.

I would however like to see a lot less 'sticky' threads,  or at least more regular removal of the out of date ones.  Some on Streaming Audio are well past sell by dates.  

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Bruce Woodhouse

Agree with responses.

The Forum is often about general themes rather than single product issues. The risk of subdivisions is that threads which actually cross into discussions of various products and ideas won't be seen if they are shoehorned under a single product heading.

Lots of non-Naim kit discussed too. its is hosted by Naim but not always about them, and that is one of the great strengths. it is not just a Naim users forum.

Bruce

Well again, just a suggestion from a new user.   For those of you who are experienced with the Forum, it may not be a problem.   But I just want to point out that it takes quite a while for me to look for somethings I want answers.   

Also, many questions are product specific.   For example, I asked earlier that "What if I remove some dics or albums or specific files from the Core, will those files be removed accordingly from the back up copy as well so as to make the back up copy consistent with the ones being used on the Core ?"

No big deal after all.

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Huge

Hi tmtsui,

Can I suggest using Advanced Search facility (hover over the magnifying glass then click on Advanced Search in the dialogue box); then put "Core" in the second box down on the Advanced Search page.  If you want to make the search more specific put more words in the second box or a phrase in the third box.

This will usually get you to the topic you want relatively quickly, it's a facility I use fairly often when I want to find a specific post or thread.

Thanks for the suggestion, Huge.

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by hungryhalibut

It would be really helpful if people could make topic titles a bit more specific, where possible, rather than giving them titles such as ‘speakers’. That would make the search facility more useable and possibly reduce endless repeats of the same question. 

Posted on: 12 July 2018 by Rich 1

Slightly off topic but a useful facility is 'Daily Digest' ; Settings, Notifications, Primary Notifications and select daily or weekly digest. This allows you to see all the latest questions and answers on a daily or weekly basis without trawling through the forum. There is often some very interesting discussions. Naim will send you an email with a link to it daily. Rich 

Posted on: 13 July 2018 by Eloise

Not sure if it’s possible on the forum platform Naim use, but can topics have flags?

So for instance their could be flags for “UnitiCore”, “New Uniti”, “NDS, NDX, ND5XS, 272, 172”, “ND555, NDX 2, ND5XS 2” and “Old Uniti”, etc. And likewise for amplifiers (maybe individually) CD players (as a group), etc.

Posted on: 13 July 2018 by Richard Dane

Topics can have Tags assigned by the OP.  You're normally given a few suggestions, but you can add your own.